Crowds Early March

luckynugget

I've just seen an email from Touring Plans saying that the crowds for my trip for the first two weeks of March have gone up... by 3-5 points! One day has gone from a 5 to a 10! A 10 in early March doesn't seem right to me, is there something going on in those two weeks that was announced recently that might have caused the predicted crowds to surge like that?

My boyfriend is joining me for the first time, we picked these weeks as it is his birthday, was time we could both get off work and I thought it would only be moderately crowded as he doesn't like super heavy crowds. Now I feel like I may have chosen poorly...

DisneyOutsider

First week of March is Mardis Gras week. Lots of folks in Louisiana take off for Disney that week. After that first week you start getting dangerously close to Spring Break.

But I wouldn't stress... There really isn't any slow times anymore, and those crowd estimates are not always good indicators. There just making their best educated guess.

Upvote 0

JohnD

First week of March is Mardis Gras week. Lots of folks in Louisiana take off for Disney that week. After that first week you start getting dangerously close to Spring Break.

But I wouldn't stress... There really isn't any slow times anymore, and those crowd estimates are not always good indicators. There just making their best educated guess.

Makes sense. With Easter being on April 21 this year, Ash Wednesday is March 6, making Mardi Gras March 5. So I can see how crowd levels would go up that week. While Uni Mardi Gras celebrations begin in Early Feb. there is probably and uptick right around the real Mardi Gras on March 5 with spill over to WDW.

Upvote 0

luckynugget

Original Poster

That does make sense, I just wonder why there was the sudden increase in predicted crowd. Even with Mardi Gras etc a 10 seems a bit high. The only other times of the year predicted to be a 10 according to Touring Plans are around Thanksgiving and between Christmas and New Year... even 4th July is only a 9!

Upvote 0

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
For the past two years, I went to WDW in the first week of March and the crowds were minimal. I can't see how it would change so drastically in one year. Even with the opening of the Flower & Garden Festival, it wasn't that busy. But don't worry, you haven't made the wrong choice. The crowds will still be lower compared to the weeks surrounding it.

Upvote 0

LeighM

A few years ago, I went to WDW for the week of March. There was a lot of crowds from Louisiana residents leaving because of Mardi Gras and it was also the Canadian spring break that year. The crowds were higher than I was expecting but was still much lighter than the US spring break crowds later in the month. Plus, I was able to save money with their Play, Stay, and Dine package.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
For the past two years, I went to WDW in the first week of March and the crowds were minimal. I can't see how it would change so drastically in one year.
Ash Wednesday moves around from year to year depending on when Easter occurs. This changes not only when Mardi Gras takes place, but also drives spring breaks all over the country.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
As others noted that is Mardi Gras week this year and many southerners in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama etc are off of school that week so head to WDW to take advantage of kiddos out of school. Plus other states are starting their spring breaks that happen in March and April. ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom