Crowd Noise During Pre-Shows

MickeyLuv'r

I can't remember the last time I rode Haunted Mansion without at least 1 person reciting the narration out loud or some unfunny person shouting "alcoholics!" or "day drinkers!" on Cosmic Rewind.
Okay. I'll bite.

I have not heard those specific call outs on all the times I have ridden GoG, but I am strongly under the impression that the question IS intended to elicit a response from the riders. Riders often call a response that makes everyone laugh, and that = one more way the ride varies from ride to ride.

Also, whenever we ride the ride, we DO get into the music. When it comes to coasters, shouting is to be expected. I've never been on ITtbaB that the audience did not react out loud to the spiders, etc. The audience is expected to participate during a number of the WDW shows. Like to ooh! whenever the owl flies by and to laugh at corny bird jokes.

IMO, it is a bit odd to say it is okay to verbally participate on some attractions/shows, but not to sing along/verbally participate on other attractions.

Mind, over-the-top loud and nonstop talking about non-ride stuff (while ignoring the ride) is annoying, but I don't quite understand the everyone must remain silent expectation either. I'm happy whenever a ride elicits a cheer, smile, clapping, etc.

Part of the fun of a theme park is the collective reaction to the stimulus that surrounds us. When a joke is told, I WANT to laugh along with strangers. When a child sings along on Small World, I smile. If people laugh a little too loud, so be it.

Smugpugmug

Okay. I'll bite.

I have not heard those specific call outs on all the times I have ridden GoG, but I am strongly under the impression that the question IS intended to elicit a response from the riders. Riders often call a response that makes everyone laugh, and that = one more way the ride varies from ride to ride.

Also, whenever we ride the ride, we DO get into the music. When it comes to coasters, shouting is to be expected. I've never been on ITtbaB that the audience did not react out loud to the spiders, etc. The audience is expected to participate during a number of the WDW shows. Like to ooh! whenever the owl flies by and to laugh at corny bird jokes.

IMO, it is a bit odd to say it is okay to verbally participate on some attractions/shows, but not to sing along/verbally participate on other attractions.

Mind, over-the-top loud and nonstop talking about non-ride stuff (while ignoring the ride) is annoying, but I don't quite understand the everyone must remain silent expectation either. I'm happy whenever a ride elicits a cheer, smile, clapping, etc.

Part of the fun of a theme park is the collective reaction to the stimulus that surrounds us. When a joke is told, I WANT to laugh along with strangers. When a child sings along on Small World, I smile. If people laugh a little too loud, so be it.
Hmm, k. Not what I said or meant but alright. I just think it's annoying to hear someone should alcoholics every time I ride Guardians.

Heppenheimer

It's a breach of etiquette that does seem to get worse all the time. When I was a kid going to Disney in the 80s, I don't remember people talking during preshows at all.
Same with me, or at least they had the decency to whisper. While watching a family video from the 80s a few years ago, it struck me that as my dad was filming the pre-show for Mission to Mars (because he filmed EVERYTHING!), not only can you hear the spiel perfectly, but you can actually see people whispering too each other.

Of course, people used to smoke in lines too back then. Between talking over the narration and breathing second hand smoke, I'll take the former.

NelleBelle

Hmm, k. Not what I said or meant but alright. I just think it's annoying to hear someone should alcoholics every time I ride Guardians.
Where in the ride does this happen? Iā€™m genuinely curious as I donā€™t seem to recall it happening when weā€™ve ridden. Is it during the preshow or actually on the ride?

Smugpugmug

Where in the ride does this happen? Iā€™m genuinely curious as I donā€™t seem to recall it happening when weā€™ve ridden. Is it during the preshow or actually on the ride?
During the first preshow. When Terry (don't remember his character name) asks what people from Epcot call themselves, there is at least one person in the crowd that shouts out something about drinking. It's not officially part of the attraction but that is the answer that gets shouted every time I ride it.

It's even become somewhat of a meme for Distwitter.

DisneyFanatic12

During the first preshow. When Terry (don't remember his character name) asks what people from Epcot call themselves, there is at least one person in the crowd that shouts out something about drinking. It's not officially part of the attraction but that is the answer that gets shouted every time I ride it.

It certainly is common, and the rest of my family has experienced it, but I have yet to hear someone blurt it out in the crowdā€¦ maybe someday I will get the opportunity šŸ¤£

Interestingly, I donā€™t hear people talk through the Haunted Mansion preshow very often, as many people report.

Im my experience, the biggest issues are:

1. Talking during the Soarinā€™ preshow (couldnā€™t hear it even if you tried)
2. People using their flashlight on dark rides (Peter Pan is the biggest offender in my experience)
3. RnR Coaster Preshow, everyone rushes the door. However, conversations arenā€™t usually too loud or distracting.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think the posters about society being rude over time is wrong. I think the viewpoint on technology is what we should focus on, here.

When I am watching a pre-show these days... The ones that people are talking through are typically older attractions such as haunted mansion, dinosaur, and muppet vision.

Either been seen a million times by disney adults or a simple tv screen or old illusions arent impressive anymore...

The preshows that people DONT talk through.. Newer stuff that people are interested in watching or where tech is impressive. Such as Guardians, Gringotts, and and Rise of the Resistance.

Stuff gets outdated. Things get less impressive to guests as the decades age the awe and wonder of technology. Something from the 80s or 90s is not going to be impressive to the average guest in 2024.... Other than nostalgia for hardcore disney fans such as ourselves.

Another viewpoint is world population. There are HOW MANY more people living now than there was in 1984??? Population increase = Stupidity increase. The more stupid people exist, the more noticeable they are. PLUS an increase in showcasing stupidity on social media more than we could showcase in the past.

Fans freak out about people stepping off the rides and whatnot... But that stuff has been going on for decades. I recall a Horizons video where some guys were literally videoing walking around all the show scenes.

Albeit, not causing disruption. But still.

Where am i going with this... To bed. Im going to bed. Goodnight.

NelleBelle

We mustā€™ve been lucky (or just deaf) as weā€™ve not heard this (yet)! On an aside, my mom and I laugh every time when Terry asks if theyā€™re called ā€œepcoturesā€ (?sp)ā€¦itā€™s sounds as if heā€™s saying Epcot-turdsšŸ¤£ Thereā€™s where my 3rd-grade brain goes!

McMickeyWorld

I hope it doesn't stray too far from the topic, but I don't think this has ever been discussed on this side of the world, and in a way, it connects to this.

TalkToEthan

that looks like Baymax(same ride as Alien Swirling Saucers at Hollywood Studios but with a different ā€œskinā€ and music) at Tokyo Disneylandā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Ya, thatā€™s an entirely different conversation: culture encourages participation from cast and guest. The whole point of this **HUGELY** popular ride is for non riders to sing and dance. Even riders get into the mood the best they can by waving at onlookers and singing.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

I don't quite see the comparison. In the video from Japan, it looks like the entire queue is participating. I found it very charming and for a culture that can feel very serious, it looked like everyone was having a great time and adding to the experience. That wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Whereas people not giving a hoot what they're doing in pre shows and attractions and talking, draws attention to that individual and distracts others from the experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom