Crowd Levels Feb 11-18, why the increase?

natron20

Anyone have a clue why the projected crowds have increased for next month? When we booked our trip all days were projected to be very but now the estimates are double what they were originally.

Kind of getting worried.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You will switch form value to peak season, typically around 2/14, every year. This is due to an influx of crowds due to President's day and various school holidays centered around that time. You will find the crowds quite low when you get there and they will steadily build until you leave.

Upvote 0

wilkeliza

You will switch form value to peak season, typically around 2/14, every year. This is due to an influx of crowds due to President's day and various school holidays centered around that time. You will find the crowds quite low when you get there and they will steadily build until you leave.

I just looked at the dates again and as per usual you are right master Yoda. I know valentines day can be busy with adult disney lovers in the parks as well as families. I tend to forget that February is full of all the presidents days and such.

Oh also the schools here in NYC give kids a whole week off in February and not just the one extra day so you'll see an influx of North Easterners around then.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just looked at the dates again and as per usual you are right master Yoda. I know valentines day can be busy with adult disney lovers in the parks as well as families. I tend to forget that February is full of all the presidents days and such.

Oh also the schools here in NYC give kids a whole week off in February and not just the one extra day so you'll see an influx of North Easterners around then.
Could I get you to call my wife and tell her that?:lol:

Upvote 0

Mrs.Skellington

You also have Mardi Gras. A lot of New Orleans locals head out of the city and to Disney for the entire week. I know we normally do and run into more people from Louisiana than from anywhere else. Purple and Gold and Black and Gold and Mardi Gras beads everywhere. :shrug: Can get quite hectic and packed. Also prices go up that week.

Upvote 0

righttrack

Yes, in the Northeast we have "Feb Vacation" which runs President's day through Friday, a full week. Since the energy crisis of the 70s this has been so. It's a popular time for warmer weather vacations, including WDW.

We also get a week in mid April that may or may not coincide with Easter/Passover.

Upvote 0

natron20

Original Poster
I understand President's Day but we are leaving the Saturday before. I also understand the Friday, weekend before President's would be picking up but the rest of the week too?

Just 4 weeks ago the projected crowds were anywhere from 1 to 4, except our last two days, Friday and Saturday which were 6 and 7. Now all days are 5 at a minimum.

Thanks to everyone for their insight. I guess it could be Mardi Gras but it's not like that was an "unexpected" event that simply sprang up.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

There is also the Daytona 500 in that timeframe. I know as kids we would have our two week FL vacation that was the week on either side of the race so that will increase the crowds too.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

^^^^ Oops, I stand corrected, they have pushed the race back this year to the last weekend in Feb. (shows I am not that big of a race fan). What I have noticed here is with the week in Feb break for the NY kids is a lot of the families will pull their kids an extra day or two so that they can have a full weekend and into the president's day week for vacation.

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

As righttrack posted above, schools here in the northeast have a full week off in mid-Feb. This year Maine (where I live) is off the week of Feb 20-24, so that wouldn't have anything to do with your week. I don't know, maybe more people have decided that week would be a better time to visit? :shrug:

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well in several February trips....my favorite week has always been the week to 10 days before Presidents Day weekend/week....best weather for me and lowest crowds. Been there Presidents day weekend and following week only once and NEVER again...bumper to bumper peeps everywhere, and it was such a difference....now yesterday I was talking with a DVC'r who always goes 22nd ish and for the princess Marathon and says that week to her is awesome, she hardly ever has waits at the parks.

I went this year first week of January for the larger scale Marathons....to me those were the lowest crowds at the MK Marathon days vs rest of week, and I had feared an increase!!! :king:

Upvote 0

dizzney

May be plane fares, we originally booked for BWV from 2/17 thru 2/25 but I couldnt get a decent airfare lowest was $660 round trip times 4, so I started moving days and by arriving the 14th (Valentines Day in Disney) and leaving the 22nd, it cost me $220 times 4. It was a no brainer 1800 in savings. But we only did that mid december and I mvoed my priority seatings too and was able to get Le Cellier for Wednesday February 15th with no problem so I'm really not sure it will be that crowded. We anticipate doing the biggies like TSM Soarin etc the 15th, 16th and 17th and then relaxing for the balance of our visit.

One thing for sure, it wont be worse than NYE there and we've een there then and had a blast.

Upvote 0

domandtab

Look on the Disneyyouth.com site looks like there is a huge Step (dance) competiton the week of Feb 12! Could be why the crowds have changed, supposed to be a huge competition.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom