Crowd Control Changes to California's Disneyland

TROR

Original Poster
Sorry for the poor alliteration, but I wanted to make a thread encompassing all the little changes to Disneyland's pathways in preparation for Galaxy's Edge. What's been done, what's been confirmed, what's been rumored, and speculation.

What's been done:
• Indiana Jones Outpost and South Seas Traders closed to add additional seating for Bengal Barbecue
• Stroller parking in Adventureland moved to Tropical Imports
• "it's a small world" queue and parade gates pushed back
• New queue for Dumbo The Flying Elephant
• Upper floors of Starcade to be used as Space Mountain additional queue

What's been confirmed/worked on:
• Aladdin's Oasis changing to Tropical Hideaway
• New Matterhorn queue

What's been rumored:
• Removal of People Mover track
• Removal of Tomorrowland rocks
• Changes to pathways along Rivers of America

I'm sure I missed more than one, but I figured this would be a nice way to keep track of the small changes intended to improve crowd flow as well as a place to keep all discussions on the topic.

I also want to mention this since I couldn't think of a proper place to put it and didn't want to create a thread just for it, but Disney Toons has been shut down. If you didn't know, Disney Toons is the studio responsible the D2V Tinkerbell franchise that's represented in Pixie Hollow between the Matterhorn and Tomorrowland. It doesn't take up a terrible amount of space, but seeing as the franchise has been dead for years and now so is the studio that made the movies, it certainly seems like a waste of space that could be far better used for spreading out the crowds.

If I did miss anything in the list, let me now and I'll edit it in. I'll also try to keep this post updated as changes are finished, confirmed, or new rumors emerge so long as the thread is active.

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

Sorry this is totally off-topic already, but seeing this thread made me think of how nice it would be if we had a stickied Disneyland rumors/current projects thread like the WDW one run by MisterPenguin... I’d do it myself but don’t know who the DL “insiders” on the forum are or what the current news is.

Stevek

The biggest thing they could do to help would be to move Astro Orbitor. It has almost happened a few times now; they need to bite the bullet.

Agree that it absolutely has to be moved. Where would you put it?

Option 1: If they tear down the PM tracks and the old platform (they won't put it back up there), then put it in the footprint of the old platform but at ground level.
Option 2: Gut pixie hollow and that whole area, move the ride over there...or anywhere just to the left of the current location.
Option 3: The second level of Space mountain where the queue is now. Not sure the roof of the theater could support the ride though.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Don't quote me since I'm not sure where I remember reading this, but I thought they were also looking at shrinking the presence of the Fantastmic viewing risers/walkways through N.O. Square...That area is going to need a re-think for sure.

mickEblu

The biggest thing they could do to help would be to move Astro Orbitor. It has almost happened a few times now; they need to bite the bullet.

This would be the amazing. Where would they move it to though? Wait a minute. Is this what the extra Space Mountain Q in Starcade is for? They re putting it on top of Captain Eo? I would prefer it go back where the Rocket Jets were but just about anywhere is better than it’s current location.

TROR

Original Poster
Don't quote me since I'm not sure where I remember reading this, but I thought they were also looking at shrinking the presence of the Fantastmic viewing risers/walkways through N.O. Square...That area is going to need a re-think for sure.
I remember reading this as well but I wasn't really sure on the details.

This would be the amazing. Where would they move it to though? Wait a minute. Is this what the extra Space Mountain Q in Starcade is for? They re putting it on top of Captain Eo? I would prefer it go back where the Rocket Jets were but just about anywhere is better than it’s current location.
Would hate for it to block the view of Space Mountain tbh.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I also want to mention this since I couldn't think of a proper place to put it and didn't want to create a thread just for it, but Disney Toons has been shut down. If you didn't know, Disney Toons is the studio responsible the D2V Tinkerbell franchise that's represented in Pixie Hollow between the Matterhorn and Tomorrowland. It doesn't take up a terrible amount of space, but seeing as the franchise has been dead for years and now so is the studio that made the movies, it certainly seems like a waste of space that could be far better used for spreading out the crowds.

Don't write Pixies off just yet. Remember they have a new streaming service starting up next year. So just because the studio has been shuttered doesn't mean they can't move production of those properties into the new streaming division called Disney Streaming Services LLC.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I'm interested in this Tomorrowland thing. Space Mountain is probably getting a new queue based on the permit we saw, and rumors are flying around like you said about the RR track and french fry rocks. Because there is going to be a Star Wars Land, WDI will have to actually think about what they want Tomorrowland to be.

Hopefully they won't shoehorn other Disney IP's into the area but who am I kidding. And I hope they DO NOT have the same team who did Incredicoaster work on this land - or park.

nevol

Agree that it absolutely has to be moved. Where would you put it?

Option 1: If they tear down the PM tracks and the old platform (they won't put it back up there), then put it in the footprint of the old platform but at ground level.
Option 2: Gut pixie hollow and that whole area, move the ride over there...or anywhere just to the left of the current location.
Option 3: The second level of Space mountain where the queue is now. Not sure the roof of the theater could support the ride though.
Option 1!

George Lucas on a Bench

They also removed the turnstiles from the Haunted Mansion exit, which was a devastating loss. Their ghosts haunt the exitway. I can still hear the click click click in addition to the laughter playing from an obvious speaker.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Removing the Astro Orbitor and French fry rocks would be amazing for that area. Just don’t mess with the charming fountains by Pixie Hollow.

While I like the additional seating for Bengal Barbecue losing the Indy shop was lame. Also not a fan of the removal of gardens and planters for stroller parking in Fantasyland. I’m afraid they’ll go too far and we’ll end up with a parking lot like MK.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Removing the Astro Orbitor and French fry rocks would be amazing for that area. Just don’t mess with the fountain area by Pixie Hollow.

While I like the additional seating for Bengal Barbecue losing the Indy shop was lame. Also not a fan of the removal of gardens and planters for stroller parking in Fantasyland. I’m afraid they’ll go too far and we’ll end up with a parking lot like MK.

What makes Disneyland superior to The Magic Kingdom is the lack of huge open areas of concrete. By design, Disneyland can't really have these anyway, but damage has been done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom