Crowd Control; But at What Cost?

Splashin' Ryan

Original Poster
After reading the recent Blog Mickey article below, I thought it'd be a great opportunity to talk about the extent Disney has been going to, to reduce crowd congestion and how it affects the experience of visiting overall. The article shows a perfectly fine tree had just been cut down which surprisingly had a planter jutting out from the boardwalk, negatively affecting crowd flow.
While I could make this a save the trees thread, that's not necessarily what I'm getting at.
So many of the changes recently, most at MK have been aimed at reducing crowd congestion but in the process have also negatively (imo) impacted the guest experience. (Ever notice how there's not a signle place to sit around the edge of Mine Train? They want to keep people moving)

-Entire MK hub widened and loss of greenspaces
-West walkway leading behind castle widened + loss of greenspace
-MK emblem at entrance removed so people don't look down and slow down crowd flows
- The dreaded fountain removal near Crystal Palace to open up a walkway
-The entirety of Project Stardust at Disneyland
-Tommorroland main walkway spaceships removed to clear out walkway
1628170789929.png

My overall question is to what length will Disney go to ease crowd congestion and is there a balance between better crowd flow and minimal loss of theming/garden space?
Will we end up with super flat facades with arrows on the ground like we're in a densely populated city street or will guests even notice or care that theming elements have been replaced with concrete?

Chicken Guy

If Disney cares about crowdflow, they clearly aren’t very smart about it. I value the improvement of mobility around the parks, but axing a fountain for marginally more walking space is not a fair trade. I’d like to point out that Toy Story Land was built three years ago but is essentially a crowdflow disaster, what with its lanky path design and the SDD queue that necessitates a traffic light system at the land entrance during just moderately heavy crowds.

ppete1975

there are far more strollers and emvs (not to mention people) than when it opened 50 years ago... lots of things were sacrificed to keep people from running each other over or getting trampled.

I think the fountains and water features are a different issue that had them removed.

fngoofy

To be contrarian here, I was just (3 wks ago) looking at pics of Frontierland and thinking the trees looked to big.
It messes with the forced perspective in my opinion.

I think the pines up at the walk through to the bathrooms and Aventureland are too big as well.
Same as the ones that flank RoA as you walk through Frontierland.
Cut them and plant med/small trees.
Don't even get me started on the trees in front of SSE over in EPCOT.

Splashin' Ryan

Original Poster
To be contrarian here, I was just (3 wks ago) looking at pics of Frontierland and thinking the trees looked to big.

I think the pines up at the walk through to the bathrooms and Aventureland are too big as well.
I actually agree with you here, but the issue is they're removing them altogether which in return worsens the atmosphere. If you asked a guest on a hot Florida summer day which they would rather have, 5 sq feet of shade or 5 sq feet of walking room the answer would be pretty easy.

JIMINYCR

I dont think the majority of guests care or notice. They will continue moving along like a herd of sheep from one spot to another. When it comes time to sit they will find a wall to sit on or lean against or just plop down on a convenient open spot on the ground. Widening walkways and removing items is the only way to open up spaces to handle crowds movements. Disney certainly isnt going to restrict numbers of people unless they are under covid protocols which forces them to. Opening up more park space to fit new attractions may filter guests off but that only works until the new attractions brings in and builds up more numbers. The more people attracted to the parks and resorts, the more traffic they will welcome.

GimpYancIent

I dont think the majority of guests care or notice. They will continue moving along like a herd of sheep from one spot to another. When it comes time to sit they will find a wall to sit on or lean against or just plop down on a convenient open spot on the ground. Widening walkways and removing items is the only way to open up spaces to handle crowds movements. Disney certainly isnt going to restrict numbers of people unless they are under covid protocols which forces them to. Opening up more park space to fit new attractions may filter guests off but that only works until the new attractions brings in and builds up more numbers. The more people attracted to the parks and resorts, the more traffic they will welcome.
So is that what is going on at EPCOT? More sheep space, sorry, I mean people space?

BillyGr

That makes perfect sense. Trees that are now 50+ years old (for the Magic Kingdom - they could be older than the park as they would have been growing elsewhere before being put in) are bound to be much larger than they were when the park first opened.

It would certainly change the look over time when compared to buildings that are still similar in size/scope.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom