Critique my plan...

Bodyfather

..with my trip fast approaching coupled with me being insanely excited, I have put something of a plan together for my trip. Mostly consisting of what parks I'm visiting on what days and the likely Fastpass options and dining reservations I have made so far. I wanted to run this by some of the more experienced Disney goers for some tips so as to make sure I am making the most of my vacation time.
Bit of a background, it will be just myself(29) and my girlfriend(28)...we are staying at Caribbean beach between 23rd May and 6th June. We have a 14 day ultimate pass and a free quick service dining plan. We will be arriving late on the 23rd so I have made plans from the 24th onwards...

Sunday 24th...half a day at the resort having a look round before heading to Holywood Studios in the afternoon for some Star Wars weekend. No dining reservations have been made, Fastpass looking for Toy Story, Star Tours and ToT.
Monday 25th...full day at Epcot, dining reservations at the rose and crown for dinner. Fast passes hoping for Test Track, soarin' and possibly a spot for illuminations if that's a possibility???
Tuesday 26th...full day at HS. Dinner reservations at the drive in theater restaurant. Fastpass 1. Rock and Roller Coaster, 2. Toy Story Midway Mania, 3. Tower Of Terror
Wednesday 27th...pencilled in as a relax day, unsure whether to prebook some Fastpasses for the afternoon in case we decide to head into the parks. No dinner reservations made.
Thursday 28th...Universal studios
Friday 29th...MK all day, no dining reservations 1.Splash Mountain, 2. Big Thunder Mountain, 3. Space Mountain
Saturday 30th...dining at Rainforest Cafe. 1. Kilimanjaro Safaris, 2. Expedition Everest, 3. Kali River Rapids
Sunday 31st...relax day, same as 27th
Monday 1st...Islands of Adventure
Tuesday 2nd...MK day, no dining reservations.1. Peter Pan, 2. Seven Dwarves Mine Train, 3. A mountain???
Wednesday 3rd & Thursday 4th I've left open so we can do whatever we want to make the most of our last 2 days.

So my main questions are 1. Are there different fast pass selections I should make?
2. Am I making the most of my dining plan by using it for breakfast/dinner or lunch/dinner on the days I have no reservations.
3. If I leave some Fastpass days empty until I arrive, am I going to end up with attractions I don't really want?

Thanks guys

grim-grinning_toast

1. Are there different fast pass selections I should make?
It looks like you've gotten all of the big guys! Peter Pan's Flight usually has a really long wait for a very, VERY old ride. But the new queue makes it worth it. Haunted Mansion is another classic, you'll want to ride it more than once so DEFINITELY fast pass that ride and do the queue at least once. It's interactive and fun. :) After you use all three of your fastpasses that were prebooked (either 180 days in advance of 180 seconds in advance) you'll be free to pick up more fastpasses from any of the parks. Soarin and Test Track are hard to get a fast pass for on the same day, so I would plan to wait in line for at least one of them.

2. Am I making the most of my dining plan by using it for breakfast/dinner or lunch/dinner on the days I have no reservations.
Yep! My fiance and I do this all the time. I personally prefer the quick service dining plan over the Disney dining plan. It allows you to make reservations IF you want to, instead of forcing you into feeling quite guilty for "wasting" a table service meal on a quick service meal. You won't want breakfast every morning, so it'll be nice on the days you -do- want it.

3. If I leave some Fastpass days empty until I arrive, am I going to end up with attractions I don't really want?
Eh, that depends. Rides that tend to sell out quickly are:
Mine train
Midway Mania
Test Track
Soarin
Safari

You'll mostly be able to pick what you want the day of. And like I said - after you use the prebooked fastpasses, you are free to choose a new one at the Kiosks that are located (sporadically) around the parks. And then once you use THAT fastpass, you can choose another one the same way.

The best thing about 'relax days' are that you can do exactly that. You can sleep in, you can go swimming, you can walk around Epcot. You don't have to go-go-go the whole time. So good for you for booking at least two in! You'll be able to see everything with your two scheduled days at Universal, but the best tip I can give you is to remember your planning as a guide (because Disney can be really overwhelming), but don't feel badly if you don't stick to it. Have so much fun!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Be aware of the FP+ tiers -- some of the combinations you describe aren't possible within the same park and same day. For example, at Epcot, you can't get same-day FP+ for both Soarin' and Test Track. You'll have to do either Soarin' or Test Track first thing after rope drop (I recommend TT first, as the wait can still be lengthy after the FP+ merge point), and get a FP+ for the other (I recommend Soarin').

Both Epcot and HS have the tiers in place. More information here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus/news/10jun2014-fastpass-experience-group-tiers-changing-for-epcot-and-disney's-hollywood-studios.htm

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

[/QUOTE]

My thoughts on these questions are:

Quick Service Dining Plan: You make the most of it (economically speaking) just by ordering the most expensive items and snacks at CS venues, and if you enjoy dessert, by using it for lunch and dinner (e.g., not "wasting" credits on cheap things like bottled water and a bagel for breakfast, when you could use the same credit at lunch or dinner and get a lobster roll, lemonade slushy and blueberry pie instead). Use the plan in whatever way will best minimize the amount you spend out-of-pocket for additional, "non-plan" food and drinks. (And I do note, with approval, that you're supplementing the CS dining plan with some out-of-pocket table service meals at relatively inexpensive places.) Also, keep in mind that you can get free ice water, on request, from any CS location if you find yourself thirsty in between meals.

Fastpasses: Yes, if you leave them until the "day-of," the pickin's may be slim. (e.g., at Epcot, you may find Soarin' and TT fully booked. At MK, there will be some headliner availability, but you may have to select from less-desirable times.) There's no harm in booking some ahead of time even if you're not sure where you'll be -- just so you have options -- and simply changing them on-site if you need to. When in doubt, we always assume we'll be at the MK, and make FP+ for things like the Mountains, POTC or Haunted Mansion (and that assumption generally turns out to be right.) ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bodyfather

Original Poster
Thanks guys, hadn't realised about the tiers so will need to make a few tweaks there. I'll probably use all the available fast passes on the "relax days" and change when I'm there if I need to

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

1. Are there different fast pass selections I should make?
Make the FP for the rides you want to experience. If you're doing the headliners then you'll need FP

You cant make Dining Reservations for QS meals. If you're referring to using it on days when you're not paying for table serve meals then you're better using it at dinner

Yes - book what you want to experience at your 60 day point or you'll just have pot luck when you arrive

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom