Critique my bookings!

Francy

Original Poster
We are going in a week, and I secured what dinner bookings I could. This is our first time so just went with what seemed ok - feel free to tell me I'm missing some great restaurant (although many have no availability at this point like SChef Mickey, BOG, 1900 PF, but I'll keep trying) or if I've booked some 'eh ones. .

As context we are going to be there 4 nights, kids are 3 & 6. We will be staying at GF.

First night of arrival: Grand Floridian Cafe

2nd day: Plan to be @ Magic Kingdom

Lunch will be whatever we can find at the park

Dinner (630): Crystal Palace

Will try to see Wishes at night.

3rd day: AK in A.M and DHS for afternoon

Lunch booked for Hollywood Derby, but may just opt for Flame Tree BBQ as we wrap up AK

Dinner: Either 6pm @ 50s Prime Time Cafe (DHS) or Via Napoli for later dinner (830) returing to MK for EP although might not have time.

4th day: back to MK
Noon Cinderella Royal Table

Dinner: Biergarten

5th Day (day of departure; no park).

Good Morning Goofy character meal

Chef Mickey

You asked for critque, so here goes...

I wouldn't ever do two table service meals in a day with kids, or even otherwise. It's too much food and also burns a lot of time, especially at night when there are a lot of things going on.

I don't like Biergarten, Cinderella's Royal Table, or Brown Derby. It's personal preference, but the price for quality is really not worth it. I think Teppan Edo at EPCOT would be a better bet with kids. They'll like the show and the food is better quality, in my opinion.

I disagree with doing Cinderalla's Royal Table and Biergarten in the same day when you have a 3 and 6 year old. Just seems like a waste of money and the food isn't good either place.

Crystal Palace is good for kids and I think the food is pretty good.

I agree with doing Flame Tree BBQ and I'd cancel Brown Derby. Like I said, Brown Derby isn't good food or value and your kids won't like it. Flame Tree is the best BBQ at Disney and it holds its own against BBQ MANY places. Your kids will enjoy it and it's a good value.

I think 50s Prime Time is also pretty good food and a much better option for kids. The Fried Chicken is some of the best I've had. It's also a fun place with a nice theme.

I would do more than "try" to see Wishes. It's not a missable show.

Main Street Electrical Parade is also not missable. Need to see that with the kids.

I prefer Chef Mickey's for breakfast. Keep calling/trying if there is not currently availability.

Francy

Original Poster
Thanks, the Cinderella Royal Table is more for the characte aspect, definitely at a price for so- so food though!

I think I'll cancel Brown Derby and will look up Teppan Edo, thanks. Biergarten was more for DH who loves German food but yea the girls may not be happy!

Weather_Lady

We are going in a week, and I secured what dinner bookings I could. This is our first time so just went with what seemed ok - feel free to tell me I'm missing some great restaurant (although many have no availability at this point like SChef Mickey, BOG, 1900 PF, but I'll keep trying) or if I've booked some 'eh ones. .

As context we are going to be there 4 nights, kids are 3 & 6. We will be staying at GF.

First night of arrival: Grand Floridian Cafe

2nd day: Plan to be @ Magic Kingdom

Lunch will be whatever we can find at the park
May I suggest, Be Our Guest? You no longer have to wait in line -- they're handing out paper slips, like the old legacy Fastpasses, with a return time. Stop by about an hour before you'd like to actually eat and try to get one. If you're at the other end of the park, Columbia Harbor House has some better-quality options, although my kids often clamor for a loaded burger from Pecos Bill's.

Dinner (630): Crystal Palace
Always a good choice, and one of the better buffets.

Will try to see Wishes at night.

3rd day: AK in A.M and DHS for afternoon

Lunch booked for Hollywood Derby, but may just opt for Flame Tree BBQ as we wrap up AK

Dinner: Either 6pm @ 50s Prime Time Cafe (DHS) or Via Napoli for later dinner (830) returing to MK for EP although might not have time.
It would be good to have a firm plan (does this mean you have two ADRs booked for this day that you may not use? Understand that you can be penalized now for no-shows if you don't cancel at least 24 hours ahead...). If you're visiting AK on a day with no morning EMH, I doubt you'll be "finished" in time to get to your lunch ADR at HS. However, you know what you want to accomplish at AK: if you think you will be able to leave AK at least 60 minutes prior to your ADR at the Brown Derby, then I'd keep the lunch ADR and simply grab a CS dinner wherever you happen to be later in the evening. If you opt to drop Brown Derby, then keep one of the dinner reservations -- although Via Napoli has better food, I'd choose 50's PT given the ages of your children, and the likelihood that they will be famished and too over-tired for an 8:30pm dinner reservation to be much fun. Plus, a 6:00pm dinnertime means you don't have to run to another park and then fly to the MK in hopes of seeing the MSEP -- you can eat at your leisure and then figure out how you want to get to MK. My family has done the whole go-to-Epcot-just-for-dinner thing, and although Epcot's World Showcase has many great options, it's rarely worth all that exhausting running around unless you happen to be there already, or are planning on staying for the rest of the evening (it takes at least 10 minutes of brisk walking to get from the park entrance to the closest parts of WS, and another 10-15 minutes to get to the most far-flung areas of WS).

4th day: back to MK
Noon Cinderella Royal Table
Your wallet won't thank you, but your kids surely will.

Dinner: Biergarten
A terrific choice. My family loves this place and it offers a great variety of delicious food. Since the prix fixe portions at CRT are quite small, you'll no doubt have a good appetite built up by dinnertime.

5th Day (day of departure; no park).

Good Morning Goofy character meal
I'm not familiar with this meal, but I can't argue with Goofy. :)

orky8

You are doing a lot of hopping around which takes a lot of time, even using the monorail. Agree with the previous poster Wishes and EP are not things to "try" to do, but should be a much higher priority than any dining option. Possibly Fantasmic too, but could be too intense for your 3 year old (mine watched youtube videos and said too scary). You have girls, so I would keep CRT, but check daily to see if you can snag a coveted pre-opening reservation for CRT or Crystal Palace. If this is your first time at Disney, and this is a pretty quick trip, than I think you would be better off with fewer table service meals and more quick bites to allow you more time.

tdonald

I'm going to give some similar advice as some others that have helped you...

On your 1st day at MK I'd try for Be Our Guest (as someone else suggested) and keep Chrystal palace for dinner. Def see the electrical parade and wishes!
A morning at AK ending with lunch at Flame Tree sounds great to me!! I think you'll all really enjoy 50s prime time (brown derby, maybe not so much).
Then for your last park day, there's nothing better than rope dropping MK and doing another round of everyone's favorite rides, and I'm sure your kids will love lunch in the castle. After that, I'd monorail over to epcot for the rest of the day. I love Biergarten but not everyone does... that's a judgement call for your family. Via Napoli is also great, as is rose and crown for viewing Illuminations (my family's tradition when I was growing up!).
Don't worry too much about this... it sounds like no matter what you'll have an awesome trip! :)

Francy

Original Poster
I'm going to give some similar advice as some others that have helped you...

On your 1st day at MK I'd try for Be Our Guest (as someone else suggested) and keep Chrystal palace for dinner. Def see the electrical parade and wishes!
A morning at AK ending with lunch at Flame Tree sounds great to me!! I think you'll all really enjoy 50s prime time (brown derby, maybe not so much).
Then for your last park day, there's nothing better than rope dropping MK and doing another round of everyone's favorite rides, and I'm sure your kids will love lunch in the castle. After that, I'd monorail over to epcot for the rest of the day. I love Biergarten but not everyone does... that's a judgement call for your family. Via Napoli is also great, as is rose and crown for viewing Illuminations (my family's tradition when I was growing up!).
Don't worry too much about this... it sounds like no matter what you'll have an awesome trip! :)

Hi! For BOG, how does that work? We did get a pregistration email but it's already full - are you saying if I arrive an hour before as stand by I can obtain tickets that way?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom