Cribs vs. pack and play

teenie0140

Original Poster
we have twins that will be 18 months at the time of our trip. We haven’t traveled with them or had them sleep in a pack and play yet but they are wonderful sleepers at home.

We are debating renting cribs for them to have a more comfy option. Alternate option I was debating was ordering the 3” pack and play mattresses for them instead to have it more comfortable. Half the price and we can just get rid of them after the trip. Has anyone used those before? Any crib rental recommendations if we go that route? (We will be renting a stroller also).

(Staying in an AoA family suite)

baymenxpac

we have twins that will be 18 months at the time of our trip. We haven’t traveled with them or had them sleep in a pack and play yet but they are wonderful sleepers at home.

We are debating renting cribs for them to have a more comfy option. Alternate option I was debating was ordering the 3” pack and play mattresses for them instead to have it more comfortable. Half the price and we can just get rid of them after the trip. Has anyone used those before? Any crib rental recommendations if we go that route? (We will be renting a stroller also).

you're braver than me! i haven't traveled with my kids (2.5 and infant) yet, but here's what i've found in my parenting experiences: it's all about familiarity and routine. they're going to be thrown off by all the new stimuli that comes from travel, staying in a hotel, etc. if it were me, i'd want to replicate their sleeping situation as home as closely as i could so that something feels familiar. the pack and play mattresses might be just fine (and obviously, they're cheaper), but what if they don't sleep on them? will you be ready, willing, and able to do a park with two 18-month-olds on zero sleep?

whenever i'm thinking about a situation that involves spending more money versus less (provided i can afford both options), i always ask myself this question: will it make things easier? in your case: if i'm sitting up at 3 AM with a kid/kids that won't comfortably sleep, how much would i pay -- in that very moment -- for them to get some sleep? an extra $100? $200?

obviously, they're toddlers, so virtually nothing is assured other than there will be surprises. and every kid is different, so what works for mine might not work for yours and vice versa. just my two cents so you have some thoughts on the matter.

teenie0140

Original Poster
you're braver than me! i haven't traveled with my kids (2.5 and infant) yet, but here's what i've found in my parenting experiences: it's all about familiarity and routine. they're going to be thrown off by all the new stimuli that comes from travel, staying in a hotel, etc. if it were me, i'd want to replicate their sleeping situation as home as closely as i could so that something feels familiar. the pack and play mattresses might be just fine (and obviously, they're cheaper), but what if they don't sleep on them? will you be ready, willing, and able to do a park with two 18-month-olds on zero sleep?

whenever i'm thinking about a situation that involves spending more money versus less (provided i can afford both options), i always ask myself this question: will it make things easier? in your case: if i'm sitting up at 3 AM with a kid/kids that won't comfortably sleep, how much would i pay -- in that very moment -- for them to get some sleep? an extra $100? $200?

obviously, they're toddlers, so virtually nothing is assured other than there will be surprises. and every kid is different, so what works for mine might not work for yours and vice versa. just my two cents so you have some thoughts on the matter.

That’s what I’m thinking! Thanks for the reassurance. We are brave haha. We’ve traveled a lot with the oldest but it’ll be a new experience. Can’t stay home forever so just going for it. We may regret it haha. Thanks for the reply.

baymenxpac

That’s what I’m thinking! Thanks for the reassurance. We are brave haha. We’ve traveled a lot with the oldest but it’ll be a new experience. Can’t stay home forever so just going for it. We may regret it haha. Thanks for the reply.

my pleasure. and i'm with you! just do your thing and have fun!

buseegal

I know from traveling with daughters and grandkids the first sometimes the second nights are rough no matter what we decide on sleeping with the kids. after the second night they sleep all have slept very well where ever we have stayed. not sure how much time you have until your trip but know most of grandkids sleeping patterns changed around 18 months where they wanted to be up if adults were up

jaklgreen

We started taking our kids when they were 18 months and 2 1/2 years old. As buseegal said, the first night is always and adjustment and after that they slept fine no matter where they were. We never used the pack and plays, we just put them together in the second bed. We put a bunch of pillows on both sides of the bed and they never even came close to falling out. I know some people now use the pool noodles(they did not exist back then) and put them under the sheets on both sides of the bed to make a barrier. We have taken them every year to WDW since, plus other vacations around the Country staying in hotels and did the same thing.

I was going to suggest what Hystericalbende said. Call the resort and see what options they have that they can provide for you. Also consider if you want them to be "Restrained" so they don't wander the room while the parents sleep. We stayed in a 1 bedroom with our 18 month old and our 6 year old a few years ago and let them sleep on the pullout couch. I was sure they would wake us up every day as soon as they were up, but one morning they snuck around quietly and managed to climb up onto the sink and turn the water on and it got everywhere! Do what will make you, the parents, the most comfortable with your arrangements and have the most confidence in keeping close to your kiddos routines. :)

correcaminos

At that age we requested portable cribs. Thicker mattresses and they set them up in the room for us. They also offer bed rails (or buy the inflatable kind)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom