cremated ashes at WDW

Goofyernmost

Totally just stating an opinion here, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who is truly interested in it, but I feel like there are so many arguments against this rather than for it. The only pro of this scenario is that the deceased and/or the family is happy. It's a headache for CMs (and guests when attractions need to be shut down to clean it up) and it's also crappy because then the family's loved ones end up in the garbage like others have said.

The permanent memorial idea also strikes me as too morbid (and this coming from someone who is actually kind of obsessed with cemeteries). Again, no disrespect to anyone but having a permanent place for remains anywhere on Disney property just doesn't sit with me right-- I'm going there to escape the realities of the real world, and I feel there are much more appropriate ways to give a deceased one a Disney tribute without leaving ashes somewhere they don't belong.
Yes, if it sits next to Small World or, ironically, the Haunted Mansion it would indeed be morbid. However, WDW as a place is huge. You don't always go to a water park, golf course or Disney Springs when you go there. There can be an accessible area, on property where ashes might be placed at the request of a loved one, where family can visit on occasion but everyday guest don't have to even know about it, much less be exposed to it. If someone from management happens to read this, it won't be long, they just didn't think about it. I've seen ash containers in cemetary's that require very little maintenance and with the use of some of the Hubs artificial turf the area can be nice for very little cost on Disney's part.

TXDisney

Totally just stating an opinion here, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who is truly interested in it, but I feel like there are so many arguments against this rather than for it. The only pro of this scenario is that the deceased and/or the family is happy. It's a headache for CMs (and guests when attractions need to be shut down to clean it up) and it's also crappy because then the family's loved ones end up in the garbage like others have said.

The permanent memorial idea also strikes me as too morbid (and this coming from someone who is actually kind of obsessed with cemeteries). Again, no disrespect to anyone but having a permanent place for remains anywhere on Disney property just doesn't sit with me right-- I'm going there to escape the realities of the real world, and I feel there are much more appropriate ways to give a deceased one a Disney tribute without leaving ashes somewhere they don't belong.
While I agree with a lot that you say... unless you've had a loss and spreading ashes at Disney just seems right, it's hard to listen to that opinion. Not everyone cares to spread ashes at a ride and inside the park to make it hard for people inside the park and cast members. Some maybe want to spread them in water at a resort river, lake, pond, etc. and that's harming no one.

MickeyMomV

Part of me is envisioning something similar to the monoliths at Epcot. Except behind each mini plaque there is a small hole drilled out to hold a vile of ashes. Maybe they could build some sort of memorial garden at Epcot and they could incorporate the Haunted Mansion ghosts during the F&G festival.

raven

"Headache" is putting it lightly when you actually have to call in a Hazmat patrol to clean up human remains.

Shoulda got one of those tiles in front of MK or LAL when they had them, like I did.

Goofyernmost

"Headache" is putting it lightly when you actually have to call in a Hazmat patrol to clean up human remains.

Shoulda got one of those tiles in front of MK or LAL when they had them, like I did.
I think we have all pretty much agreed that spreading ashes in the parks or rides have to many drawbacks for it to be worth the risk to everyone. However, I am liking the "special" secluded area on WDW property to be a real possible idea. Perhaps just to the North of MK on an elevated spot where MK is visible but, not to be recognizable to the general public. I know it probably is never going to happen, but, it is an one time up-charge that I think would have a demand. And the best part is that the person that is directly involved will not complain at all.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Definitely overreacting to a few ashes. Properly cremated remains are non-toxic.

http://www.cremationresource.org/
Do Ashes Pose Any Health Hazards?

Cremation remains are not toxic and do not present any health hazard. In fact, human ashes are considered as a sanitary natural substance. You can dispose them off by burying the ashes, scattering them on ground (or from the air), or floating them in water.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
So you don't mind breathing human remains into your lungs? Maybe you can add some to your morning coffee since it's non-toxic.

It's still a hazard that no one should have to be subjected to.
I think i would rather have that coffee than civet coffee :hungover:

Goofyernmost

So you don't mind breathing human remains into your lungs? Maybe you can add some to your morning coffee since it's non-toxic.

When you consider the stuff that you actually do breath into your lungs on a daily basis, human ashes would be a minor problem at best. Unless, of course, you mistake it for cocaine, then I have no idea what would happen. How big are your nostrils anyway?

thomas998

This is a little scary :). Why? WDW has a LOT of Swamp Land. Areas that they simply can NOT build on.

So - the question.... when a piece of land is designated as a "Wetland Area", per Federal Government..... any restrictions on dumping cremated human remains over it? :). I don't know - do you?

THIS could be a "Bingo Moment" for WDW. Charge like HELL for the service, you get to be "on property" forever, and it costs them NOTHING :).

If a piece of land is designated as a "wetland area" you don't want to do anything that can impact it like dumping ashes or dirt on it. Sure a couple of urns worth of Aunt Betty and Uncle Bob aren't going to be noticeable but if you turned it into a business over time it would in theory eliminate the wetland and then you would be in trouble. My cousin has a man made pond on his property which somehow got designated a "wetland area"... when he decided to bring in dirt to fill in the pound and reclaim the land a neighbor that loved watching cranes or some other bird turned him in... He then got the pleasure of paying to have all the dirt that he had already brought in removed from the pond.... So I doubt you want to dump ashes into a wetland area because if they accumulated to the point someone noticed and turned you in you would suddenly have to go collect all those dead people and find them another home.

Goofyernmost

If a piece of land is designated as a "wetland area" you don't want to do anything that can impact it like dumping ashes or dirt on it. Sure a couple of urns worth of Aunt Betty and Uncle Bob aren't going to be noticeable but if you turned it into a business over time it would in theory eliminate the wetland and then you would be in trouble. My cousin has a man made pond on his property which somehow got designated a "wetland area"... when he decided to bring in dirt to fill in the pound and reclaim the land a neighbor that loved watching cranes or some other bird turned him in... He then got the pleasure of paying to have all the dirt that he had already brought in removed from the pond.... So I doubt you want to dump ashes into a wetland area because if they accumulated to the point someone noticed and turned you in you would suddenly have to go collect all those dead people and find them another home.
I know we refer to the place as the swamp, but, that doesn't mean that it is completely swamp. All they need to do is build the land up a few feet and place mausoleum type set ups above ground.

DSCN3789-300x225.jpg

Gosh this is such a fun topic when you get my age.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I don't relish breathing in bug poop either, but we do it everyday.

Most people who dump human remains aren't flinging the stuff willy-nilly, they are carefully placing their loved ones remains in a lake or in a quiet corner somewhere. People are acting like they are shooting the stuff off Roman Candle style.

It just seems to me to be overreacting to something that is not worth losing sleep over.

Oh well...pick your battles...this isn't the one for me.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Considering WDW reclaims that water for multiple purposes, including as drinking water, no. They should not allow the dumping of ashes at all.

Reclaimed water is used for a number of things, but it NOT used for drinking. From a recent water management permit...

"Reclaimed water provides about thirty percent (30%) of the Petitioner's overall water resource needs of its property and is used for a variety of non-potable needs, including cooling tower makeup water, vehicle washing, street and sidewalk wash-down, and fire suppression and protection. Over eighty percent (80%) of the irrigated areas within Petitioner's boundaries are irrigated with reclaimed water"

Lets Respect

Not judging, but I find it fascinating that people want to spread their loved ones' ashes at WDW versus interring them somewhere close to home. I can see why WDW doesn't want to entertain this idea in any way though.

s8film40

Considering WDW reclaims that water for multiple purposes, including as drinking water, no. They should not allow the dumping of ashes at all.
I think you're a little confused as to what reclaimed water is. The water that is reclaimed comes from raw sewage from all the toilets and drain pipes from across WDW, not waterways. The liquid is separated from the solids and treated. The solids are sent to a compost pile where they eventually become fertilizer the liquid which by the way would actually be safe to drink due to how thorough the cleaning process is is sent through the sprinkler systems and used for irrigation. They actually produce far more water than is needed for irrigation and all remaining water is pumped into rapid infiltration basins so that it can return to the ground water supply.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Cremated both parents. My perspective and things to consider:

1. Federal and state regulations regarding the "disposal" of cremated human remains. It is illegal to dispose of human remains, either cremated or not, in U.S. territorial waters without a permit.
2. Cremated human remains are NOT a fine powder, like talcum or cocaine. Much more granular and coarse, like concrete mix. And once exposed to air for a length of time, become rock hard and solid. Given that a crematorium is operated at between 1400 - 1800 degrees, those remains, while particulate, are sterile.
3. My brother and I and our kids all live in Florida. Both my parents' ashes are in California (somewhere in SF Bay, see #1). There was no hesitation to "inter" their ashes in California - my mom died in California, my dad in Florida. Our only discussion was do we bury mom on the back hill so she can see the view of the bay she so dearly loved (knowing we were selling our parents house), do we scatter her ashes on the property she so loved and cultivated (and the deer would eat) or spread her ashes somewhere else. Well, somewhere else won. And when my dad died 4 years later, he joined my mom in SF Bay. 10 years later, I have no problem with both my parents remains being 3,000 miles away somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, because that's what THEY wanted.

As much as I love Disney, I don't want my ashes buried there. And Disney wouldn't want that either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom