Creepy/Sad photos from 20,000 leagues after its closure.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It is kind of sad. It was a nice ride at the time, but I don't miss it that much. I've ridden the Nemo subs at DL and it is cute but the subs are kind of tiny inside.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Dear Hubby thinks he was about 8 years old or so, and says he was upset because he figured out that you didn't go "completely" under water and was disappointed he was more worried about getting over to Tom Sawyer Island then Space Mountain then being on 20K.
I just don't see the draw to TS Island. They could make it a themed parking lot and it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I was heartbroken when 20k got turned into a display lagoon for King Trident.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I have to say that i really don't miss the ride itself - it really was pretty lame, but i do miss the kinetics that it contributed. The park itself seemed more alive back then.
There was definitely something about the subs and waterfalls that brought some life to the area.

bsiev1977

Just showed these pictures to Dear Hubby, only to find out that he got to RIDE it. I am so jealous the movie was one of my faves as a kid. Oh and to here's a kicker I asked Dear Hubby what he remembers about it and he goes um not much ~sigh~

I'm much the same. I'm not that old, but am old enough that my first trip to WDW I did get to go on 20K.
Like your husband, I barely remember the ride at all.

DizneyPryncess

Ah, how I miss this ride. It was a favorite of mine as a kid. And I too don't remember it very well. Although I did ride the Nemo subs in DL a few years ago and it filled the void for a while. These pictures are definitely sad & creepy!

disneyfan1995

Never got to experience this ride. I feel like the lagoon was still full when I was there my first time in 1998 (it looks like it is in our vacation video) but never got to ride it. It looked really neat.

jkl2000

Not only did I ride it, I don't think that sea serpent thing was part of it at the time. I don't remember that at all. This was around 1974 or 75 I think. Was it always part of the ride?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The days when every "E" ticket counted.
20k-queue1.jpg

And notice the LACK of strollers!!!

Sphinx610

I was 3 turning 4 the first time I rode 20k, in 1982. Funny thing is, I didn't like the ride, but I totally remember it bc my aunt was claustrophobic and fa-reaked out!!! I feel like they had to stop the ride or something or let her off or whatever- I'd have to ask my mom, but It was hilarious to a 3 yo. Lol but I feel bad now. Especially since she's passed... But that trip, my first trip for my 4th bday, was awesome and 31 yrs later I remember it vividly.

Sphinx610

I wouldn't worry, I am not sure about Toad but Snow White is being built into a Meet and Greet, it's not going abandoned.

Toad is now the Winnie the pooh ride. Somewhere in the Winnie the Pooh ride there is a picture of Mr. Toad handing the deed over to Owl. And there is a "here lies toad" stone in the pet cemetery in haunted mansion.
Imagineers are usually really good about that...

Last edited:

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
The days when every "E" ticket counted.View attachment 29416
And notice the LACK of strollers!!!
I was once in a line VERY similar to that one, probably right around that time......
Here's how my first ride on 20K played out:
My dad in his leisure slacks and button up shirt and me about 6 or 7 years old...waiting in that line for 35 minutes...we finally get to the boarding area and I see these massive hulking metal figures with people disappearing into their hulls, What the heck is this..!!??? I want none of it...I'm petrified.

My dad having committed time and sweat..probably equal amounts of both...forces me to ride.
I was soooo happy he did. Loved that ride even with the cheesy mostly static underwater scenes, it captured a young dude's attention instantly and sent my imagination running wild. I wish I could have shown it to my kids. Awesome for its' time --- done and done.

Sphinx610

I was once in a line VERY similar to that one, probably right around that time......
Here's how my first ride on 20K played out:
My dad in his leisure slacks and button up shirt and me about 6 or 7 years old...waiting in that line for 35 minutes...we finally get to the boarding area and I see these massive hulking metal figures with people disappearing into their hulls, What the heck is this..!!??? I want none of it...I'm petrified.

My dad having committed time and sweat..probably equal amounts of both...forces me to ride.
I was soooo happy he did. Loved that ride even with the cheesy mostly static underwater scenes, it captured a young dude's attention instantly and sent my imagination running wild. I wish I could have shown it to my kids. Awesome for its' time --- done and done.

Haha the above is my almost exact recount of my first HM ride! Hahaha and Space Mountain. Once my dad invested his time and sweat in a ride line there was no chickening out! Haha

Chrononymous

For a long time we referred to the ride fondly as the "Fish On Strings" ride. Because the first time I rode it...that was pretty much all I remembered.(also...squid tentacles that totally didn't look like squid tentacles.)

I got to ride it again when I wasn't a snarky teen anymore, and I did enjoy it a little more. Mermaids, silly serpents and an unintentionally funny voice over.

Whats' really sad is that the things I remember most about it...waiting an ungodly amount of time in line (the longest line on that first trip...about 40 whole minutes!)
...and the smell. Oh ye gods I remember the smell. It was like a men's locker room that had been underwater. It stank. And yeah...it was a teeny bit on the claustrophobic side.
But one thing it was most definitely...was Original. Creative. Innovative even. And I'm afraid we have seen the last of the likes of 20K.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom