Credit Card Hold- any update?

Hcalvert

I am just going to have to carry around my gift card with me. I was only going to charge tips to my room anyways. This system is a royal pain in the butt and makes it difficult to pay off the balance with a gift card unless I go every night. I won't even make it back in time to do that when I go to MK DAH one night if they process at 2 am.

Chi84

Premium Member
When we were there in March it worked like this:
I had a "consolidation of current charges" pending charge of $473 on my card one night while the individual charges that made up that $473 were all still showing as individual pending charges, PLUS another $100 hold after the "consolidation". So at that point I had $1046 of pending charges on my card for what would eventually be a $473 charge. And they were doing this EVERY NIGHT, not every 5 days. I finally disabled the charge card notification on my phone because they were waking me up at 2:00 a.m. every morning when they did their overnight processing.
What really does not make sense is that they go ahead and pass along each charge as it is made as a pending charge and then later combine all the pending charges and charge the combined charges as a NEW pending charge. Why combine them at all? Since the charges are already pending on your card why not just leave them that way and let them go through? As long as your charges keep going through they could just hold on to that first $100 hold until the end for a security buffer. That would be so much easier than the messy process they have now.
It also makes it impossible to keep up with your individual charges because once they are consolidated you don't see the individual charges any more. So, if you don't already save every receipt for your credit card you should because you won't have a record of individual charges, just the consolidated charges!
You will have NO record of individual charges on your credit card bill if you need to go back and check something.:mad:
I hope you complained. They need to fix this.

unmitigated disaster

I know that's the usual, but I have had experience in the past with 4-7 days at a (non Disney) hotel from their hold... and once, a full 30! On the same card. With the 30 day hold both the bank and the hotel said it was the other ones responsibility to release and neither could do anything about it :rolleyes:
At the 30 day mark the bank and the hotel need o talk to each other as it's some sort of glitch. Happened at our hotel once. We got a n email from accounting spelling out what to do if the X bank called about Y's credit card. I have long since forgotten the details. I just remember the bank and the hotel had to work together.

As for charging as one lump sum, yes. That's what hotels do. If you stay at my hotel your three nights room, tax and resort fee plus the 2 bar charges plus the gift shop charge plus the spa charge, etc. all show up under one lump sum on your credit card statement. If you want to compare, you keep receipts and ask the front desk to print current charges daily. Or every other day. They don't care.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We are at All Star Music right now.
Have been here 9 nights.
When we checked in we were asked if we would like to put a credit card on file for charges.
I said no and had no problems, but we are also not using our magic bands for any expenses.
The only thing we are getting charged daily for is parking which we will pay for when we check out.
Funny story....when we checked in, the CM said, " there is a $13 a night parking fee. Is that okay?"
I said, "No".........and there was dead silence between both of us.
And she kept on checking us in but the mood had changed.

so...did you get charged for parking?

DisAl

I hope you complained. They need to fix this.

Yes, I did complain but evidently nothing has changed. I am an engineer, not a bean counter, but I can see no legitimate reason for them to do what they are doing. It is an absolutely stupid process that only adds confusion and really penalizes the customer by having all those extra holds on their credit cards. Maybe Disney gets to hold on to those millions of dollars per day for a little longer that way??? We have always liked the convenience of the Magic Bands, but like may others from now on we will use them as little as we possibly can and put everything directly on our card.

Chi84

Premium Member
We were there in May and had issues because of this policy. The holds weren't a problem for us because we don't charge much to the room - we generally charge dinners directly to a credit card. The problem for us is that when they ran the holds, it disconnected our form of payment from our MDE account, requiring two trips to the front desk to fix it. We were told that when they ran the card, it was "declined and then immediately approved," but that once that happens the account reverts to cash until a new form of payment is added. We couldn't just do this on MDE (still showed our card as active) or over the phone. They never admitted this was because of the new policy, but searching these boards led to several reports of this exact issue - all in the few months since the policy started. I had a conversation with a woman from George Kalogridis' office after we got home, and she assured me that this particular issue would not be a problem going forward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom