creative ways to propose

VMX888

Original Poster
recently returned from disney with a cousin and some extended family, had a wonderful time, but still missing something.

to cut to the chase, the next time will be with my girlfriend and i've thought about this time and time again. i've never been to wdw with anyone besides family and (strictly) friends, but seeing couples both young and old makes me feel like i'm missing out on something special. i'm a romantic of the hopeless variety and i can't see myself not proposing while i'm there... too many perfect moments and opportunities to let slip by.

what i'm trying to get at is... have any of yourselves proposed at wdw or ever thought about how you might go about it? can you come up with creative, story-book ways that i (or others in a similar position) might want to consider?

i don't necessarily want to steal your ideas, i just need some inspiration. go nuts!

lifeguard1020

I've been in your position...

I know exactly how you feel, because I was in exactly the same position that you currently find yourself. I had been to WDW some 30ish times, but every time with my family. I knew when I was booking my trip to take my "special someone" for OUR first trip together just the two of us, that I would have to do something special. (Wow, that was a horribly long run-on sentence, sorry.) Long story short, I proposed st the Magic Kingdom. Since my family and friends were mad that they wouldn't be able to see me do it, I used the assistance of the Photopass Photographer to document our special moment. (She had never been before so really had no idea how the Photopass thing worked anyways.) I just got down on one knee in front of the castle and asked her. Thankfully she said yes, and all the people around us clapped and cheered. Even tho it wasn't anything hugely elaborate like waiting till sunset and asking as the fireworks go off or something, it still will be something we will always remember...

Dan

Attachments

• DisneyPhotoImage31.JPG
    DisneyPhotoImage31.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 133

Nansafan

In the trip planning section there is a whole sub-forum section regarding Disney Weddings and Honeymoons with some wonderful proposal ideas. Disney event planning can actually help you arrange your proposal at Cinderella's Royal Table for example. There is also a wonderful company which we've used several times for events. www.giftsofalifetime.com arranges events at WDW for guests and has done birthdays, graduations and proposals.

This past August 2006, my cousin proposed to his fiance during Wishes. We were all watching from the Plaza Rose Garden when he dropped to one knee and proposed. My brother video-taped and cousin was snapping pictures. We had champagne waiting in their room along with Mickey/Minnie engraved champagne flutes. It was amazing! The wedding is scheduled for Oct. 20.

Philo

I proposed to my girlfriend in January. I thought about setting up all sorts of fancy things or booking one f the great proposal meals at the royal table but in the end I decided that I (and she) would prefer it to be more quiet.

I waited till after wishes (the first time we had ever seen it) and after most of the crowds have gone (but whilst the music was still playing). It was magical, something we will never forget.

KZevchik

I have to travel a lot for my job, even on the weekends. It is not uncommon that my company will pay for my (at the time girlfriend) to travel with me, especially if it falls over a weekend. So I asked my girlfriend to go to Florida with me, explaining that I had to do a repair and that it would only take a couple of hours and we would have the rest of the 2 days to go to the Magic Kingdom and spend some time together in a mini vacation. That night I left her at the hotel to "go to work". I headed over to the Contemporary resort and found a bellman. I gave the bellman a Mickey Mouse stuffed animal that I had customized. It is the Mickey Mouse that is wearing the tuxedo for his wedding. Well, days before, I had (carefully) cut him open and made an armature out of metal so that he was posed to be down on one knee and with his arms cuffed out in front of him. He had a cane in one hand and a small gift box in the other. I removed the cane and cut open the gift box and re-sewed it to make the lid open and close, not too mention added an insert in it so that it would hold a ring. Non-the-less, I had given the Mickey Mouse to the bellman with the instructions to go see the manager at Cinderellas Royal Table. Explain to her that I had 5 o'clock reservations there and as soon as I got there, I would excuse myself from the table to go to the restroom and I would meet her and hand her the ring to place in the ring box in Mickey's hand. From then I instructed that after dinner that she would bring the Mickey Mouse to the table with dessert. I gave the bellman $50 for his troubles and also to make sure that he would carry through his mission without hesitation. I returned to the hotel for a big day on the rise.

My wife (girlfriend) and I had the perfect day at the MK. At 5 o'clock we went to have dinner at CRT. As soon as we got there, they seated us in the center table right next to the window overlooking Fantasyland. I excused myself from the table and walked towards the restroom, extremely nervous that the part of my plan that I could not control 100% would fail. Waiting by the hallway of the restrooms was a very giddy and anxious manager of CRT. I handed her the ring and told her to place it in the ring box of Mickey's hand. We had a wonderful meal, and better than I could have planned, the waitress, several managers, and slew of other polite and well dressed employees of CRT walked over to the table with a tray with Mickey Mouse, CRT champagne flutes, a certificate of special remembrance, 2 beautifully ornate chocolate cake desserts (which we didn't order), and Mickey Mouse shaped confetti donning the tray. The whole restaurant was in hush and all eyes on me. The waitress placed the tray down in front of my girlfriend and I immediately got down on one knee and proposed, I took the ring from Mickey and gave it to her. In all of the excitement, she never actually said "yes", she grabbed the ring with her chin trembling, looked at me with adoring eyes and we kissed. All of CRT was in uproar with applause and whistles. The plan went better than perfect. I couldn't have done it without the help of the staff of WDW and CRT, they truly made it a magical day.

So the only thing that could have topped that experience was our actual wedding, at the Rose Garden under Cinderella's Castle. But that's another story...

SallyfromDE

We were having Bfast with the Princesses at CRT when there was a proposal. The "bride" was there with her family as the "groom to be" had to work. He flew in from Ohio to surprise her. The Princesses walked out all together and he was "hiding" behind them. The stepped to the side and surrounded the table. He got down on his knee and proposed. It was very sweet. The whole family knew about it but her. Of course the whole resturant had to watch what was going on.

Teenchy

I have to 2nd the uses of www.giftsofalifetime.com . I have used them several times including my proposal.

If you read my wedding link in my signature you can see that my wife and I always do unique things, so of course I had to make the proposal unique as well.

We made a trip to WDW under the guise that we had one a free trip and special dinner on WDW to pre-view the DVC at Saratoga Springs. I got Disney staionary and wrote an entire letter and breakdown of this special weekend that we had won. I guess I did a great job because she fell for it and off we went to WDW.

I had arranged GofLT to meet me at Town Hall at the MK. There they gave me a rose and a note with the first clue for my girlfriend. It said you are on a special scavengerhunt to find the real Magic of WDW...proceed to ciderrellas wishing well and make a wish, We went to the wishing well she made a wish and another rose appeared with another note...it had a poem and said go to Its a Small World....at IASW we had another rose with another poem that said go to the Carousel...and again another rose and another poem...which said to go to Poohs ride...and so on until it said go back to the Wishing Well where all your dreams will come true.
There was one last rose waiting with a glass slipper that I popped the ring into while her eyes were closed making her wish. And there I got on one knee and proposed.

I really recommend if you can afford it they can really help you put together something great. Plus they can come decorate your room while your out!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

StephanieS

If you just want something simple you could watch wishes from the beach at the Polynesian and propose then- I think that would be romantic and good if you didn't want to do it in front of a crowd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom