Crazy idea for Carousel of Progress

retroeric

Original Poster
Posted this in another thread but it kind of got buried and not sure if anyone saw it. It solves some some of the problems of updating this ride.

What if they changed the last scene to a 1960 scene and build a second Carousel next to the original which would be 1980, 2000, 2020 (present), and the last room being "the future". This not only solves the original's problem of jumping from the 1940s to the present, it gives WDW an entirely new attraction while at the same time pleasing the purists who want to ensure the original stays put. It also makes the AA crowd ecstatic as there would obviously be tons of new stuff. Call it Carousels of Progress. Or COP 2.0. If there isn't enough real estate next to COP, build it on top! Sure the two combined would be a 42 minute attraction, but there have been longer ones. Maybe make each ride a separate queue so you don't have to commit to both. Is this concept or something resembling it even remotely doable?

Cmdr_Crimson

Posted this in another thread but it kind of got buried and not sure if anyone saw it. It solves some some of the problems of updating this ride.

What if they changed the last scene to a 1960 scene and build a second Carousel next to the original which would be 1980, 2000, 2020 (present), and the last room being "the future". This not only solves the original's problem of jumping from the 1940s to the present, it gives WDW an entirely new attraction while at the same time pleasing the purists who want to ensure the original stays put. It also makes the AA crowd ecstatic as there would obviously be tons of new stuff. Call it Carousels of Progress. Or COP 2.0. If there isn't enough real estate next to COP, build it on top! Sure the two combined would be a 42 minute attraction, but there have been longer ones. Maybe make each ride a separate queue so you don't have to commit to both. Is this concept or something resembling it even remotely doable?
what-the-heck-did-i-just-read.jpg

The Empress Lilly

What if they changed the last scene to a 1960 scene
It's a great proposition, but mostly until here. :)

Let CoP end in the 60s, where it belongs, interval-wise and for being a Walt-product.

The real ending of CoP already is the Progress City model which you see on the Peoplemover, or once upon a time on the second floor of CoP itself. Which then has a sequel of sorts in EPCOT, which is contemporary. The story is already complete, but it has just got lost over time.

OvertheHorizon

I've suggested elsewhere that it should be a Carousel of 20th Century Progress, ending with a scene celebrating (as we all did) the shift from 1999 to 2000. (Yes, I know that the 21st Century didn't officially begin until Jan 1, 2001.) They could keep the first three scenes, with a dramatic fast-forward to 1999.

Goofyernmost

I've suggested elsewhere that it should be a Carousel of 20th Century Progress, ending with a scene celebrating (as we all did) the shift from 1999 to 2000. (Yes, I know that the 21st Century didn't officially begin until Jan 1, 2001.) They could keep the first three scenes, with a dramatic fast-forward to 1999.
It's sorta a wording thing. I just turned 69 in July. I am in my 70th year. I have lived for 69 years before I ever got to that birthday. It's the same with centuries. Even if you don't want to say 21st century until 2001 you had already lived a year in the 21 century before it was officially recognized by you. So, it isn't wrong, it's just basically misunderstood. Not to mention that it really doesn't matter to anything.

The Empress Lilly

It's sorta a wording thing. I just turned 69 in July. I am in my 70th year. I have lived for 69 years before I ever got to that birthday. It's the same with centuries. Even if you don't want to say 21st century until 2001 you had already lived a year in the 21 century before it was officially recognized by you. So, it isn't wrong, it's just basically misunderstood. Not to mention that it really doesn't matter to anything.
Ah, but you have been zero once, for your first twelve months. You turned 1 on year 1 Anno Goofyni. But our calendar doesn't have a year zero. If you were born at day one of the start of our AD era, you got your first lego carpenter playset for your first birthday on New Year's day of 2 Anno Domini.

Goofyernmost

Ah, but you have been zero once, for your first twelve months. You turned 1 on year 1 Anno Goofyni. But our calendar doesn't have a year zero. If you were born at day one of the start of our AD era, you got your first lego carpenter playset for your first birthday on New Year's day of 2 Anno Domini.
Maybe you were zero, but I was born from 1 split second through 52 weeks old, 12 months old, 364 days old until they proudly proclaimed that I had survived a full year and was now a completed one year old (aka 12 months). The end of that day I started my 2nd year, but not given credit because it wasn't over with yet until a year later, however I was 1 year and 1 second, and counting for every second after that. I was zero just before I started breathing on my own. after that it could be measured in seconds/minutes, not much, but something. All that unnecessarily connected to the actual minute/hour of birth on that day applies only to animal birth.

Ergo... on January 1, 2000 the 21st century started and continued to advance until January 1, 2001 where it was officially one year completed in the century and into it's second year. Years and Centuries are slightly less complicated because it always starts just nano seconds after midnight on the 1st of January.

OvertheHorizon

Ergo... on January 1, 2000 the 21st century started and continued to advance until January 1, 2001 where it was officially one year completed in the century and into it's second year.
Unfortunately, you are wrong on when the century begins. Just google when the 22nd Century begins.

Goofyernmost

Unfortunately, you are wrong on when the century begins. Just google when the 22nd Century begins.
Google doesn't know everything. One camp is your thought, the other camp is mine. It depends on what and where you google. The way I described it, is what is logical for me. You see it another way, fine, but, that doesn't make it anymore right then I am. So lets just be comforted by the fact that this is the only century change we will ever see and be happy. I have three grandchildren that were born in 2000 & 2002 respectfully. There is a good chance that they will never consciencely see a change over, so, does it really matter? There are also other cultures that are in different years and haven't chosen January 1st as a starting point. It is quite easy to understand that the earth has existed well over 2000 years so, again, does it matter? Not to mention the likelihood that unless something changes soon, the planet will never make it to the 22nd century, at least with people on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom