Crafts, hobbies and other fun stuff

ImperfectPixie

So, any pics of before and during? What you used...paints, types of brushes, other stuff?

The book nook I shared in the other thread
View attachment 523657View attachment 523659View attachment 523663View attachment 523665View attachment 523667View attachment 523668
Unfortunately, no progress shots, as I made that in 1994, lol. Here are a small number of my tools though...some of which have handles I carved to fit my hand, and one fishtail gauge that I made from an old drill bit.

AE69FFFE-F6A6-4003-B2EB-00027B0A6223.jpeg
The paints were artist acrylics - Utrecht, I think...and some good quality, natural-hair brushes (I’m leaning towards artificial though the last few years). The texture was achieved with a fairly expensive wood burning tool (not the kind you can buy in a craft store...these are made for more delicate and detailed work), kept sharp with 800 grit sandpaper.

Timmay

Unfortunately, no progress shots, as I made that in 1994, lol. Here are a small number of my tools though...some of which have handles I carved to fit my hand, and one fishtail gauge that I made from an old drill bit.

View attachment 523669
The paints were artist acrylics - Utrecht, I think...and some good quality, natural-hair brushes (I’m leaning towards artificial though the last few years). The texture was achieved with a fairly expensive wood burning tool (not the kind you can buy in a craft store...these are made for more delicate and detailed work), kept sharp with 800 grit sandpaper.
That’s really amazing. Thank you.

ImperfectPixie

Thank you! :) The tools I use are expensive, but very much worth the investment. Some of them are 30+ years old and still going strong (I started woodcarving when I was 13...I'm 48 now). The worst I've had happen to any tool (and they've not been treated kindly at times) was having to replace a handle. They run from around $30-$75 each. I also use Exacto knives from time-to-time for detail, and jack-knives or lock-blade knives. The important part is the steel...it has to be high quality, high-speed steel so that I can sharpen them on my bench grinder and with Japanese water stones (sharpening stones that are made from ground-up stone and glued into a bar are garbage in comparison). I DO own a Dremel, but I don't use it for my wood-carving projects...or haven't yet, anyway. I might for my next sculpture.

A more recent project...finished shortly before Christmas...

cropped.jpg

Hand-carved letters, cut to shape on a scroll-saw, sanded, stained with water-based, natural stain (for the base, I used black stain, but wiped well so the grain is visible), then clear-coated (5 coats) with water-based polyurethane and lettered with One-Shot oil-based lettering enamels. The Mickey symbols were painted with black acrylic, then I sprinkled pearl bronzing powder on them.

Timmay

Thank you! :) The tools I use are expensive, but very much worth the investment. Some of them are 30+ years old and still going strong (I started woodcarving when I was 13...I'm 48 now). The worst I've had happen to any tool (and they've not been treated kindly at times) was having to replace a handle. They run from around $30-$75 each. I also use Exacto knives from time-to-time for detail, and jack-knives or lock-blade knives. The important part is the steel...it has to be high quality, high-speed steel so that I can sharpen them on my bench grinder and with Japanese water stones (sharpening stones that are made from ground-up stone and glued into a bar are garbage in comparison). I DO own a Dremel, but I don't use it for my wood-carving projects...or haven't yet, anyway. I might for my next sculpture.

A more recent project...finished shortly before Christmas...

View attachment 523675

Hand-carved letters, cut to shape on a scroll-saw, sanded, stained with water-based, natural stain (for the base, I used black stain, but wiped well so the grain is visible), then clear-coated (5 coats) with water-based polyurethane and lettered with One-Shot oil-based lettering enamels. The Mickey symbols were painted with black acrylic, then I sprinkled pearl bronzing powder on them.
Really good work. I love the explanation of what you did.

Half the fun for me are the tools of the trade. Couple of shots of my work area and what I use. Yeah, it’s a mess. Have a project going on right now.
F1C87485-CCD9-450E-8377-D8F37716B6BC.jpeg860CCBCA-7DC1-47E5-907A-D9E0526B64E6.jpeg

ImperfectPixie

Really good work. I love the explanation of what you did.

Half the fun for me are the tools of the trade. Couple of shots of my work area and what I use. Yeah, it’s a mess. Have a project going on right now.
View attachment 523684View attachment 523685
I am literally tool and supply OBSESSED. My two Christmas presents were the scroll-saw I mentioned above (early, as I needed it to do that project), and a bench disc/belt sander...I haven't had time to set up the sander yet, so it's still in the box. I converted our un-used dining room into my office/art room. I'd take pictures, but it is literally bursting at the seams right now and I need to do some re-organizing now that I'm back in my zone and know what I reach for most often, but I've got 1 small table with a small vinyl cutter and a heat press on it, a 4'x8' table with my scanner, computer, printer, and drawers full of drawing and other supplies on it, a drafting table, 4 sets of drawers with paints, brushes, bronzing powders, markers, pen & ink stuff, etc etc in them, a 4' vinyl cutter, and shelves along each of two of the walls with paper, books, vinyl, and cross-stitch and beading supplies etc. I've also begun to re-claim our basement after we inherited a bunch of stuff that I'm gradually getting rid of, but here's my list of biggies that I have down there...band saw, table saw, miniature table-saw (think for dollhouse furniture and stuff), scroll saw, compound miter-saw, my new sander, and soon, an actual paint room for larger projects (the previous owner of the house liked to fish and put up dividing walls to create a "room" in one corner of the basement...it's unfinished otherwise). I do have a couple of airbrushes, a paint sprayer, and a couple of compressors. I've also started changing out light-fixtures down there from the crappy single-bulb ones that came with the house, to 4' long fluorescents so I can actually see. One thing that is never-ending in my office is wood chips on the floor...no matter how many times I vacuum, I always seem to miss some (hubby needs to hurry up and put down the planking we bought!)

Three questions...what is that green box with the miter sled on it? What is that black thing in the corner against the wall? And where did you find the things you're storing paint in on your table?

My wish list:

Laser engraver (hopefully one that can do approximately legal or tabloid size, engraving acrylic and some metals is a must)
Dye-sublimation printer (doesn't need to be very big)
Eco-solvent vinyl printer/cutter (4' wide)
High quality 3-D printer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom