CP - Fall 2007

olean

Original Poster
Ive been strongly interested in the WDWCP for the Fall of 2007, Ive pretty much read through everything on the official website and ive been constantly browsing through these forums as well as the ezboard forum reading through WDWCP-related stuff. I currently work at a hotel and if I do the CP I plan to take upon the Hospitality role and curriculum, and so far my two greatest areas of concern are; how likely that I can actually get the role I am asking for, because if I dont I wont do the program, and of course whether or not my school will accept the WDWCP course credits. If all goes through, im also determined to be able to live at Chatham, I would hate to end up at Vista and at that point would already see the program as an absolute disaster. So I have a few q's;

- How likely is it that I can get what im looking for with the WDWCP?
- Whats the best I could do to improve my chances and hopefully nearly guarantee that I could get what im looking for at WDWCP?
- How early should I apply for the WDWCP?
- And, When should I speak with a school official regarding the program and transfer of CP course credits?

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Ive been strongly interested in the WDWCP for the Fall of 2007, Ive pretty much read through everything on the official website and ive been constantly browsing through these forums as well as the ezboard forum reading through WDWCP-related stuff. I currently work at a hotel and if I do the CP I plan to take upon the Hospitality role and curriculum, and so far my two greatest areas of concern are; how likely that I can actually get the role I am asking for, because if I dont I wont do the program, and of course whether or not my school will accept the WDWCP course credits. If all goes through, im also determined to be able to live at Chatham, I would hate to end up at Vista and at that point would already see the program as an absolute disaster. So I have a few q's;

- Whats the best I could do to improve my chances and hopefully nearly guarantee that I could get what im looking for at WDWCP?
- And, When should I speak with a school official regarding the program and transfer of CP course credits?

-- You won't be guaranteed a hospitality role, my advice is to request it in your interview and give strong examples why you are interested in that role. I requested attractions in my interview...and got stuck at Downtown Disney (PI, until I got moved to Cirque).

- You should apply for the CP sometime this Spring if you want to go this Fall

- Speak to your school NOW, the sooner the better

- I've lived at both Vista and Chatham, Vista isn't THAT bad, but Chatham is better IMO. If you request a 4-bedroom apartment, you'll get Chatham for sure.

olean

Original Poster
-- You won't be guaranteed a hospitality role, my advice is to request it in your interview and give strong examples why you are interested in that role. I requested attractions in my interview...and got stuck at Downtown Disney (PI, until I got moved to Cirque).

- You should apply for the CP sometime this Spring if you want to go this Fall

- Speak to your school NOW, the sooner the better

- I've lived at both Vista and Chatham, Vista isn't THAT bad, but Chatham is better IMO. If you request a 4-bedroom apartment, you'll get Chatham for sure.

Thanks for the reply. I hate the fact that im not guarnteed a hospitality role, so im guessing that I could bring my resume and show strong interest for the hospitality role during the interview and hopefully that would significantly improve my chances for this role, right? So, In the worst case scenerario that I dont get into the hospitality role; When will I find out? And at that point in time would it be too late to cancel the admission/hiring process?

And as far as the housing; I heard that if you state you want "high rent" you will get Chatham, is this true? And my rooming preference would be a 2-bedroom, so hopefully that wouldnt ruin anything. Thx again.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Thanks for the reply. I hate the fact that im not guarnteed a hospitality role, so im guessing that I could bring my resume and show strong interest for the hospitality role during the interview and hopefully that would significantly improve my chances for this role, right? So, In the worst case scenerario that I dont get into the hospitality role; When will I find out? And at that point in time would it be too late to cancel the admission/hiring process?

And as far as the housing; I heard that if you state you want "high rent" you will get Chatham, is this true? And my rooming preference would be a 2-bedroom, so hopefully that wouldnt ruin anything. Thx again.

-- Bringing your resume MIGHT help, you won't find out your specific 'role' until you get there. You'll find out your generic role when you get your acceptace letter, for example: Operations, QSFB, Custodial, Hospitality, etc etc. But you won't find out your specific location/duty until after you arrive.

-- Chatham isn't more expensive than Vista (unless it's changed since 2004); rent is based on how many bedrooms (if I remember correctly) and if you request a 2-bedroom you'll either get Vista or Chatham. Only Chatham has 4-bedroom apartments, so that's the only way you'll be guaranteed Chatham.

MagliteL13

-- Bringing your resume MIGHT help, you won't find out your specific 'role' until you get there. You'll find out your generic role when you get your acceptace letter, for example: Operations, QSFB, Custodial, Hospitality, etc etc. But you won't find out your specific location/duty until after you arrive.

-- Chatham isn't more expensive than Vista (unless it's changed since 2004); rent is based on how many bedrooms (if I remember correctly) and if you request a 2-bedroom you'll either get Vista or Chatham. Only Chatham has 4-bedroom apartments, so that's the only way you'll be guaranteed Chatham.

Chatham is more expensive now, although not by much. I mean, they do have more cable channels than Vista though(whoop di do...). :rolleyes: I found it odd on both of my programs that Vista doesn't get the Disney Channel (unless that's changed.)

I have to agree with everything FallenAngel said. The sooner you talk to your school, the better.

Scar Junior

I'm going to answer your post as honestly as I can. I want to help you but first I have to give you a reality check. Disney had thousands and thousands interview this year, way more didn't get accepted than did. You might not like what I first tell you, but please read it because it will help you.

THE BAD NEWS:
To put it bluntly... you are too picky. College credit should not play into your decision. Sure, it is nice if you get it... but if you're going into hospitality, having Disney on your resume would be the best thing to happen to your career (outside of marrying a Hilton sister). The 5+ months you will have on the program are far more valuable than finishing a semester earlier. FYI: If you go to a "Big" university you probably won't get a lot of credit, if any.

Your comments about the housing situation scare me. Don't believe everything your read or hear. Are you really that ignorant that living at Vista would make the program an "absolute disaster?" Seriously... think of how moronic that comment is... an " absolute disaster." I'm not trying to be mean, but you should look at the big picture. Vista isn't as nice by most peoples accounts, but so what? You should be thankful they find you furnished housing (with utilities) for so cheap. As others mentioned, there are ways to help get into Chattham, but some of it depends on your arrival date as well.

THE GOOD NEWS:
There have been some good tips listed above. However, there is a way to avoid the misconception of "it's totally random what role you are placed in." If you do your homework on the situation and are prepared, if you look and speak right, you can get pretty much any role you want. But if you say, "I only want to work in hospitality" you'll shoot yourself in the foot. If in the interview you tell them that "the opportunity to work in hospitality for a company as well regarded as Disney is what attracted me to the CP," you'll have a much better chance. Shmooz them. Show up with black pants, a dress shirt and tie, if not a full suit.

The CP's numbers are WAY WAY down... many within the recruiting dept. are a bit nervous. The quality of the CPs are WAY WAY down because they are now resorting to filling roles with people that are shaky. They have found that international applicants are far more prepared than most Americans. That's one of their big things... being professional and being prepared! So yes... have a resume, smile, small talk them before and after the interview, study the program, answer with stories and examples, smile more and be willing to act like this internship would be the greatest thing for your Hospitality career.

I would suggest researching when your presentation will be. Find out from the campus reps at your school, or find out from Disney when they will be there. Be sure to let the recruiter know of your history with hospitality and how beneficial to your career it would be to learn from them. Mention how you want to take the class in hospitality and feel the class would supplement your college courses and work experience. Don't interview over the phone, interview in person. You may have to wait longer to interview, but you will be able to sell yourself better in-person.

"How likely is it that I can get what im looking for with the WDWCP?" It's very likely if you work for it. If you network yourself, take the hospitality class and ask your managers about their careers, you can get what you want. If you try to take the easy way out, you probably will be disappointed. I understand you want an ideal program, but it is what you make of it... plain and simple.

There's far more to say, but this is getting too long. I can help you get what you want. I didn't mean to be a jerk but really, you should approach this from a more humble position.

olean

Original Poster
RE: Scar Junior

Scar Junior, Thanks very much for your reply. I understand what your trying to get to and I'll take your advice into account. I also understand that I am being picky; However, please allow me to explain, I am picky because this program would play a major role in my life, not only educational but professional. In order to participate in this program I would need to request a long-term leave of absence from my current job which is very important to me, and if my leave of absence is not accepted I would sadly need to leave, something I can never imagine doing at the great company that I have worked very hard to succeed in. And to think of the fact that I don't know what kind of job I would be leaving to at Disney is very risky and uncomfortable, for all I know and hear I could placed in a job much inferior to the job I currently have.

As far as the housing, I might have exaggerated by saying Vista would be an "absolute disaster", but I live in Central Florida so I have been to WDW many times and I know exactly what the entire area is like and I have driven by both Vista and Chatham multiple times, and I can clearly see the difference. Vista has a much higher density and from what I hear is very crowded and active, the buildings are visibly older and less appealing, and the entire complex is located right next to the noisy interstate highway. Chatham, on the other hand, is very new, the landscaping and appeal is VERY nice, the property layout is very well planned and organized, the surrounding area is very nice (away from highway) and quiet, and Ive never heard anything bad about Chatham. So Chatham it must be!

Thanks again & Happy New Year!

davidpw97

Although I was never a campus rep like one of the above posters and next week will be the 6th anniversary of the start of my CP I would like to add a few thoughts. I know the program has changed somewhat since my CP, so some of what I say might be invalid.

First of all, is it a requirement that you have to live in either Chatham or Vista or some other Disney housing? If you already live in Central Florida couldn't you just stay home and not worry so much about which apartment complex you live in? Is that even allowed? I think if I had lived in Central Florida during the time of my CP, I probably would have stayed at home if that were possible. Would they take the money out of your check anyway if you aren't using their housing? I realize that part of what makes the CP so special is getting to know different people but how much time is really spent at the apartments? I think if I l ived anywhere in Central Florida within 45 minutes of WDW and I were going to do the CP, i'd probably live at home if at all possible.

As far as what job you get, atleast from my experience and the experience of my roommates, alot of it has to do with your prior work experience. I was hoping to work in either merchandising or attractions on my CP, but uptil that point I had only ever worked in a restaurant and I ended up doing quick service food. 2 of my roommates had acting experience and they both ended up in their field as well, one a jungle skipper, and the other a Great Movie Ride host/driver or whatever they call them. Another roommate had worked at Target and ended up in merchandising. If you have alot of hotel experience and you let them know that is your first choice, I think there is a pretty good chance that is where you will end up working.

It seems like with so many requirements, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If you already have a great job and a job that you would absolutely hate to leave, it seems like any job Disney could offer you as part of the CP would be inferior to what you already have. I could be wrong here, but I don't think most people who do the CP do it because they expect to have an awesome job or because they want a job better than what they already have, they do it for the experience, for something they can put on their resume, or just to get their foot in the door so that in the future they can get a better job.

matthope03

I am planning on doing the fall CP as well. I am also leaving an outstanding job, however I really want to work for Disney and in order to make that happen I feel I need to do the CP to get my foot in the door. As previously stated, many others do the CP for the experience that you will not receive anywhere else. If you have no interest in working for Disney in the future and you don't want the experience then my advice is to stay away from the program otherwise like others have said you will be disappointed. However if you do have an interest in working for Disney then realize that in life sometimes you have to take one step back in order to take two steps forward. By the way, I also will be a college graduate at the time I head down there and have already turned down a couple nice paying jobs in order to make this move. Just a bit of something to think about.

olean

Original Poster
Thanks again for the replies. I hope im not setting myself up for dissappointment as mentioned by Davidpw97, but I hope you understood why im being picky, and im sure that the Matthope03 understands what situation im in with my current job. I do want to work for Disney and I plan to do the program for educational and career development, and when I mean career development I mean in the field of Hospitality and nothing but Hospitality because thats what im going to do.

As far as housing, I have considered what was mentioned, however, I live about 45 minutes from Disney, Orlando is a very large city with lots of suburbs so even though I live in Central Florida doesnt necesseraily mean Disney is right next door to me, if it was I would already be working for Disney. By living with the WDWCP I would have easy access to the entire program including classes, work, and opportunity to make new friends. I also heard that its a "living REQUIREMENT", so I dont think off-site living is allowed.

matthope03

Well to give you an idea, my degree will be in accounting and I know that during the CP I will not have a job anything close to that. However, I know that in the long run it will put my foot in the door, and I'm also looking at it as six months to enjoy meeting new people, adjust to the area, and overall enjoy six months with no school before I start a true career. It all depends on the mindset you have towards it.

olean

Original Poster
Good & Bad News

:( After discussing the program with my school and realizing several different factors I have been pretty much cornered in to decide not to do the program. My school rejected my request to get full credit for all WDWCP courses and instead only offered me one elective credit for the entire program, they state that Disney is not "an accredited institution" and they can therefore not recognize the WDWCP courses as college-credit courses, I tried to explain it to them and even provided supporting documentation but that made no difference, on a more personal level they said the program is generally good if you get the right job but basically pointed out it that it is not in my best interest and the University I plan to transfer to would probably not accept the credits either. They also said that Disney uses the WDWCP as a "staffing strategy" to fill in vacant positions that they cant fill and use the WDWCP as a "carrot" to draw students in. The majority of WDWCP members end up in areas like food/beverage and custodial that no one wants to do and generally pay CP members much less then a regular cast member. :lookaroun :dazzle:

:sohappy: However, the good news, one of the two school officials I spoke to is involved in the Career Placement program of my college and said they have relations with Disney and could possibly offer me a regular part-time job at WDW. Considering the fact that I am a Central Florida resident I think that would work much better for me. I wont get the WDWCP experience but I will still get the cast member experience and it will also be easier to choose the specific job I would like to do. :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom