CP and study abroad?

ldsprincess

Original Poster
ok guys...so i have a question about the college program. i'm a freshman in college and i really, really, really want to do the CP as well as study abroad. i attended a meeting about studying in spain for one semester. if i did this it would most likely be spring semester of my sophomore year (2010). however, i have been trying to work it out so that i could do the CP next fall. (2009) has anyone out there done the CP and study abroad? i just don't know if i can afford to be gone from campus for so long because i would essentially not be on campus for an entire year. studying abroad i would definitely be able to get lots of credit hours and wouldn't really get behind, (in fact, some people have gotten ahead). However, i'm not sure if i could actually afford to do the CP (i do have a good amount of credits from high school, so i'm ahead of some people now) aaaanyway, so i guess my two main questions are this...1) has anyone out there done both and how did it work out? and 2) i know i need to discuss it with my school, but do you think it would be possible do both the CP and study abroad next year, or should i try to do one one year and the other the next? thanks so much for any info you can give!

Bug715

I haven't done both so I really can't give advice on that but you should really make sure you do the CP. I was on my CP this time last year and can't imagine having not done it. I met so many great people and had such a great time. Just my thoughts

peachypear14

I'm doing the exact thing next year. I'll be staying here at school over the summer and then am planning on heading down to FL in the fall, and then fly over to France in the spring. It'll be weird to not be at school for an entire year, but I know that these are both opportunities I would regret not doing! Definitely talk to your school about both prospects, and seeing as how you're a freshman, if you didn't want to be away for a full year, you could do one of them during your junior year (I don't have that option, unless I want to cut into my senior year). Good luck with your decision!

Nadya

I am considering doing that exact same thing next year - CP and then study abroad in the Fall. It really depends on how many credits you'll be getting while you are studying abroad to equal one semester in the states so you are not too far behind. I have already deferred a semester (to extend my CP actually) but since I didn't have a graduation date planned anyway it hasn't messed up my plans. If your graduation plan is very set in stone as far as classes and when they are offered, etc then it could be a problem. However, if you are like me and just want to take whatever oppurtunities come your way and it doesn't screw up your plans too badly, do both!!!!! You might have to graduate a semester later or something, but if you don't care, go for it! Because after that you are in the big, bad, world!!!! :)

Plus, I think the biggest thing is that, while education is tremendously important, the two things you are considering doing are life changing experiences that will make you a more cultured, interesting, outgoing person and will expose you to so many new and exciting situations, which is sometimes just as valuable as being academically educated. If you are motivated academically and know that this year long break wont tempt you to just drop out or something afterwards......do both! :animwink:

ldsprincess

Original Poster
thanks guys! i'm so excited to do both! i actually have an appointment with our international program leader on monday to discuss it. i talked to my student advisor too and he said i could do both but might want to space them out. i'll let you know exactly what happens, but i'm definitely going to take every opportunity that i have. i would regret not doing the CP for my entire life, so i'm going to do it no matter what! lol. just figuring out the logistics of it all will take some work, but it will be more than worth it! thanks so much for your responses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom