Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Also, the vaccine is just about effective as PFZ and MOD when you look at illness requiring hospitalization or causing death.

Also, PFZ and MOD weren't tested against some of the new variants which are more resistant, like J&J was. It's possible that PFZ and MOD are really just as effective as J&J.

Any vaccine over 50% effective can lead to the R-nought dropping to below 1.0, which is the path to herd immunity.

Actually I saw where PFZ was tested and shown to be at least somewhat effective against the South Africa strain.

sullyinMT

Finally landed appointments for my parents in SW Ohio! 65yo dad and 64yo mother with severe heart and kidney issues. They'll both be making a 50 mile trek, but were thrilled to get in! Kinda crazy, my dad is a retail manager for a pharmacy partner, and his employer was no help in getting him an appointment in the region.

Last edited:

pixie225

Rochester is where I'm going.
There are no more appts for Rochester though either as so many from the Buffalo area decided to go there.
Saw on the news where many companies are telling their employees to get one where ever they can and they will pay them to travel there.
So many people are now venturing out that 5+ hours.
Just found this on the NYS vaccine site- hope it helps
**Former Kodak Hawkeye Parking Lot - RochesterRochester, NYAppointments Available
**Delavan Grider Community Center - BuffaloBuffalo, NYAppointments Available

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Just found this on the NYS vaccine site- hope it helps
**Former Kodak Hawkeye Parking Lot - RochesterRochester, NYAppointments Available
**Delavan Grider Community Center - BuffaloBuffalo, NYAppointments Available

Those locations are targeting specific zip codes with minorities and you are not allowed to go to them unless you can verify you live in that zip code with an ID or mail.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
They are doing that in city and Long Island also. Supposedly they may open it up to more people (any NYers) when they think the flow of people who "qualify" slows down.

Yeah I'm hoping they'll open it to more but I get the feeling it won't be until after my first dose so looks like I'll just have to be content with driving 90 miles each way twice to be able to have gotten it done and over with.

pixie225

Yeah I'm hoping they'll open it to more but I get the feeling it won't be until after my first dose so looks like I'll just have to be content with driving 90 miles each way twice to be able to have gotten it done and over with.
Just saw this- don't know when your first shot is, but maybe this is sooner.
Eligible New Yorkers can start making appointments at New York/FEMA mass vaccination sites in Buffalo, Rochester, Albany and Yonkers. These four sites open March 3 and appointments are initially reserved for eligible New Yorkers in qualifying ZIP codes. After a week, appointments will then open to all residents of counties (or other geographical areas) served by each site.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Just saw this- don't know when your first shot is, but maybe this is sooner.
Eligible New Yorkers can start making appointments at New York/FEMA mass vaccination sites in Buffalo, Rochester, Albany and Yonkers. These four sites open March 3 and appointments are initially reserved for eligible New Yorkers in qualifying ZIP codes. After a week, appointments will then open to all residents of counties (or other geographical areas) served by each site.

Oh wow thanks! Didn't realize it was only being held back for a week. perhaps I will be able to get an appt next week.

havoc315

Here is my spreadsheet of vaccine dose delivery. It takes time, tho, for scheduling and jabbing and a second shot for the 2-dose vaccines and immunity to develop. Right now, the U.S. is utilizing just 80% of doses shipped. And, this is assuming Astrazeneca doesn't get approval. In millions...

View attachment 534962

A more rosy picture is if Novavax gets approved....

View attachment 534961

Thanks for this. It may become more accurate later on, but your February number is way off the actual number.

You have 110 million doses being delivered by end of February.
With 3 days to go, the US has administered 66 million vaccines. That's since December. So a total of 66 million over a period of more than 2 months.
That 66 million represents 75% of all doses delivered to date: Meaning, they have delivered, since mid-December, 88 million doses. Even if the next 3 days are super strong, there is simply no way there are 110 million doses in February alone.

In order to deliver on your March projection, you're talking about delivery of 4.3 million doses per day. We have only been administering 1.3 million per day. (though we have gotten close to 2 million before winter storms and power outages).
I do think we will see a steady increase in daily jabs... but it's going to take a while to ramp up to 4.3 million per day.

By your spreadsheet, all American adults vaccinated by May. The timeline provided by the government -- July -- seems more realistic.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks for this. It may become more accurate later on, but your February number is way off the actual number.

You have 110 million doses being delivered by end of February.
That's because the manufacturers have said they'll meet their goals of March: 120M for PFZ, and 100M for MOD. And that's what I have happening for (the end of) March, namely 220 doses between the two of them. I just divided the number between two months.

With 3 days to go, the US has administered 66 million vaccines. That's since December. So a total of 66 million over a period of more than 2 months.
That 66 million represents 75% of all doses delivered to date: Meaning, they have delivered, since mid-December, 88 million doses. Even if the next 3 days are super strong, there is simply no way there are 110 million doses in February alone.

In order to deliver on your March projection, you're talking about delivery of 4.3 million doses per day. We have only been administering 1.3 million per day. (though we have gotten close to 2 million before winter storms and power outages).
I do think we will see a steady increase in daily jabs... but it's going to take a while to ramp up to 4.3 million per day.
The Biden administration is also doubtful they'll meet those March goals. But, we'll see.

By your spreadsheet, all American adults vaccinated by May. The timeline provided by the government -- July -- seems more realistic.
It's a report of what will happen if manufacturers meet their quotas.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Just persist... refresh the website every morning. It's going to get easier and easier to make appointments.

Trust me I do it for HOURS at a time lol.
At this point we are a little over 3 weeks out from my appt so if I don't get something else soon and for prior to March 20th I'm just going to give up because it won't be worth my frustration soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
That's because the manufacturers have said they'll meet their goals of March: 120M for PFZ, and 100M for MOD. And that's what I have happening for (the end of) March, namely 220 doses between the two of them. I just divided the number between two months.
Both companies told lawmakers this week they expect a major surge in deliveries in the next few weeks that will get them to 140M additional doses delivered over the next 5 weeks. That’s basically 4M doses a day on average delivered or 14M doses a week per manufacturer. They may not hit the 220M doses by March 31, but the original target of 200M is still possible. Once fully ramped up both companies say they will be able to deliver 50M doses a month so even if they have 200M by March 31 instead of 220M that still puts them on pace for 400M doses delivered by May 31. We have to actually see the increase, but both companies are still saying its coming. That’s better than having them start to waiver on the targets. Remember back in November right before approval Pfizer was quick to reduce their 2020 target due to manufacturing issues so its not like they won’t revise down if they see an issue.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Even though we all knew it was going to get authorized, JnJ got the formal recommendation from the independent panel today so FDA EUA is expected as soon as tomorrow and states can begin placing their orders as early as Sunday. The doses will take 2 days to arrive via FedEx and UPS so starting as early as Tuesday they can be used. According to the CDC the 3.9 million available doses will be divided as follows: 2.8 million doses for states, 800,000 doses for retail pharmacies, 70,000 doses for community vaccine centers, and 90,000 doses for federally qualified health centers. It will be up to each state how to use the bulk of the doses sent directly to them. Anyone looking for a vaccine appointment should check frequently this weekend (especially on pharmacy sites) as that‘s a lot of doses coming in at once.

ToTBellHop

Looking at the case and death numbers, I think it was definitely the storm last week rather than actual increases in cases. Deaths is the real giveaway. A1336676-A882-4C43-B6A2-62793E29F2F0.png
It drops precipitously last week (a steeper decrease than we’ve ever seen) and then increased a bit this week. What is most likely is that, in fact, it’s slowly decreasing, as one would expect, given the progressive fall in cases.

Even cases are lower than 2 weeks ago. Perhaps the slope is less severe than it had been but that is to be expected with only 19% of adults having started vaccination and with variants spreading.

“The sky is falling” narrative is just silly at this point. I was rather upset to see the CDC director suggest it was worrying. She’s smarter than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom