Count Down to Extinction Question

dizpins14

umm I don't think Dinosaur is that much tammer than CTX. I rode CTX when it opened, and Dinosaur after then name change and since then. It is possible the movement of the ride was toned down, however I don't think it was terribly noticable, since I'm still thrown about during the ride. The only changes I have noticed is the Aladar statue out front, and the Teridactal (spelling?) doesn't fly toward you anymore, it just sits on the track. Don't know why it doesn't do that anymore but it doesn't fly. But Aladar at the end and on the monitors were there from day one. They might have added a small clip of Aladar from Dinosaur to the pre-show when he says "I taged this one on an "unauthorized" field test, otherwise I would be traveling with you" I'm not sure about the clip or not

mbro2002

The video of the Iguanadon at the end of the ride was a stop-gap measure to 'end' the ride after the actual animatronic was cut for budget reasons. There was supposed to be an Iguanadon sitting in the area where the big mirror is right before entering the station, but it was deemed to cost too much.

The 'sliding' carno in the finale was a late addition to the ride. I think it was in place before the grand opening of the park, but I'm not positive about that. That scene was originally a projection of a very large meteor crashing down in front of the vehicle.

As for effects, some of the audio was turned down during the changeover, but other things have been enhanced. For example, when all of the major dinosaurs were rehabbed in 2000, they were all repainted with much more menacing colors and the lighting was reprogrammed to make them scarier. Ever notice how the teeth absolutely gleam now?

dxwwf3

They also changed the Iguanadon to look like Aladar from the movie now.

CTX was so much better than what we have now. The bumpier and faster ride was much more realistic and more fun. Now it's about as rough as Kilimanjaro Safari. Oh well it looks like AK is finally going to get a "real" thrill ride when Epedition Everest opens because I don't consider Dinosaur a thrill ride really.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by dxwwf3
They also changed the Iguanadon to look like Aladar from the movie now.

CTX was so much better than what we have now. The bumpier and faster ride was much more realistic and more fun. Now it's about as rough as Kilimanjaro Safari. Oh well it looks like AK is finally going to get a "real" thrill ride when Epedition Everest opens because I don't consider Dinosaur a thrill ride really.
I wouldn't bet on EE being any more thrilling than Dinosaur. It is being tagged as a "family thrill ride." :(

Sir Hiss527

The ride used to be different? I knew they changed the name, but I didn't know they changed some of the ride. I think I rode the original, when the park first opened.

-Sir Hiss527-

"Stop Hissng in my Ear":king:

dxwwf3

Originally posted by AndyMagic
I wouldn't bet on EE being any more thrilling than Dinosaur. It is being tagged as a "family thrill ride." :(

That's odd. I thought Eisner said something about this being a big thrill ride and that drop in the concept art looks like a big one. Oh well I guess you are right though. It seems Disney dosen't want to try to keep me from going to IOA a day :lol:

Bryy2001

Disney tags most of ALL of their new rides as "family adventures" if they weren't tag as such it wouldn't be a Disney ride. It's only tagged "family adventure" because the height requirment is somewhere near 42" (because of a lack of inversions) and not like 52" or 56" which is where most new coasters are set at at Great America theme parks. This ride will be thrilling, that drop alone is nearly 100 feet, and that is big in any light.

I mean Mission: Space and Tower of Terror are "family thrill rides."

AndyMagic

Originally posted by Bryy2001
Disney tags most of ALL of their new rides as "family adventures" if they weren't tag as such it wouldn't be a Disney ride. It's only tagged "family adventure" because the height requirment is somewhere near 42" (because of a lack of inversions) and not like 52" or 56" which is where most new coasters are set at at Great America theme parks. This ride will be thrilling, that drop alone is nearly 100 feet, and that is big in any light.

I mean Mission: Space and Tower of Terror are "family thrill rides."
I know what your saying but lack of inversions has nothing to do with the height requirement. There are countless coasters that are simple out and back designs that have 52 inch height requirements. And 100 feet isn't a big drop in any light. There are tiny little wooden coasters at boardwalks that have a 100 foot drop. Believe me, I am incredibly excited about this ride and I'll be one of the first to enter the gates of Animal Kingdom when it opens but it's ashame they didn't go all the way and make it really thrilling to compete with IOA.

DisneyFreak721

For some strange reason, I have a feeling that as soon as Expedition Everest opens, DINOSAUR may return to its former glory as CTX (but will probably still be called "Dinosaur")...or maybe thats just wishful thinking

AndyMagic

Originally posted by DisneyFreak721
For some strange reason, I have a feeling that as soon as Expedition Everest opens, DINOSAUR may return to its former glory as CTX (but will probably still be called "Dinosaur")...or maybe thats just wishful thinking
I wish that would happen but I remember back in 2002, everyone was saying that Dinosaur would go back to CTX after those rides in Dino-Rama opened. It never happened. :(

mbro2002

I wish that would happen but I remember back in 2002, everyone was saying that Dinosaur would go back to CTX after those rides in Dino-Rama opened. It never happened. :(

Never going to happen. Never. With the recent push for safety and some of the incidents that have happen out at Indy, the old profile will never return. Besides, outside of this board, 99.99% of the people in this world have no idea it was ever changed. The real point here is that kids love dinosaurs, and parents get mad when their kids can't ride the Dinosaur ride. Putting the old profile back in place might make a few thrill-seekers happy, but a lot more kids and parents would be upset.

Irrawaddy Erik

Three words: Random Ride Sequence ....Now that would be awsome. I wish that they would fix some of the old affects that stoped working or add the AA Iguanidon at the end.

FairytaleMagic

Re: Countdown

Originally posted by Dreamflight4Eva
Without a doubt, I prefer Countdown to Extinction, both the ride and the name. I'm not gonna lie, first, maybe, five times I went on that, I was scared to death.. haha I loved it. It doesn't seem the same anymore. I miss being scared! Its something that I never thought I would get from disney.

I never rode CTX but I rode the ride after the name change and it still scared the heck outta me!!! When the Tyranosaurus jumped in front of the car at the end, I was terrified! I had chest pains when I got off that ride and I'm 23 yrs old!! If it was really scarier when it was CTX, then I'm glad I waited because I probably would've had a heart attack!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom