Count Down to Extinction Question

DanMan

Original Poster
Hi, I had a question about "Dinosaur the Ride" or "Countdown to Extinction" (Whatever everyone prefers). I remember when the ride first opened that it was more dramatic. What I mean I guess is that I remember certain show elements that are seemingly no longer there. I could be mistaken. Maybe its just wishful thinking:lol: Anyways, If anyone has any insight I think it would be helpful. Thanks

ToTBellHop

Some of the effects have been turned off to tame the ride--in addition to taming the motions of the ride vehicles. For example, the Pteronodon used to fly down from the ceiling toward guests, and the Time Rover would duck under it...now, the Pteronodon is stationary...things of that nature have changed. I definitely prefer Countdown to Extinction (both the name and the ride) to DINOSAUR.

Tarzan266

I couldn't agree more. Changing this ride was one of Disney's biggest mistakes. It was so much more fun, intense, and inventive when it was Countdown to Extinction. It was one of my favorite rides in all of the World. I even wrote Disney and begged them to change the title back and the original ride format as it was when it first opened. For anyone who wants Countdown to Extinction back, I beg you to please write Disney. Maybe if they get enough letters, they will change the ride back. Here is the address:

Compliments, Complaints, and Suggestions
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830-1000

If you want CTE back, PLEASE write Disney. There is nothing more I want right now in Disney World than to have the original ride back.

kennyj29

Dinasour

Firstly- I like the ride the way it is now. I could take the special effects but the noise level was out of control. I can take the roughness or the way the ride used to be, but the noise level was awful. So if you write to them and ask them to put it back to the way it was, at least keep the noise level the way it is.....thanks!

mkepcotmgmak

i don't know why they tamed it down becuase it is still very intense for young kids to ride, so why have it in the middle, if you are gonna tame it down then do so, but why take out a few good effects and still let it be as intense as it is?

PUT IT BACK RIGHT NOW! lol.

the dino at the very end of the ride still scares the crap out of me every time!

DCL

Countdown

Without a doubt, I prefer Countdown to Extinction, both the ride and the name. I'm not gonna lie, first, maybe, five times I went on that, I was scared to death.. haha I loved it. It doesn't seem the same anymore. I miss being scared! Its something that I never thought I would get from disney.

AndyMagic

Just a quick correction. The pterenadon never flew at the guests... it was always stationary. I remember reading an interview with one of the designers and he said the effect never worked like they wanted. It was also supposed to spit water at you but that made the ride vehicles loose traction. However, the ride did loose tons of great effects as well as some cool movements. Anyone remember the original, "Right, Left, Right" sequence. That was the most "toned down" of all the effects. It was one of the best parts of the ride and now if feels like your out for a stroll in your grandmothers car.

Bryy2001

I think some of you are making WAY too big a deal out of this. The ride was "tamed down" some, but most of that is completely negligible. The ride, in fact, is still quite intense. You talk as if the ride is now a complete waste now that the Time Rover doesn't swerve "left" and "right" as much as it used to, it is still an amazing ride. Not to ruffle any feathers, but c'mon, you know you still love it.

mbro2002

Originally posted by AndyMagic
Just a quick correction. The pterenadon never flew at the guests... it was always stationary.

Sure it did.... for the better part of two years. The reason it doesn't anymore is that the effect's cable drive is poorly designed and Dinosaur maintenance decided they weren't going to continue fixing it until WDI redesigned it. It is, actually, a safety issue, because the cable had a tendency to break. This resulted in a 1/2" steel tow line dropping in the vicinity of the track, in an area that could possibly hit guests.

The last time it worked was July, 2000. Since then, nobody has wanted to put forth the money to redesign it. Also, the bit about water and traction is correct.

As a comment, the topic of CTX vs. Dinosaur has been discussed at length in other threads.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by mbro2002
Sure it did.... for the better part of two years. The reason it doesn't anymore is that the effect's cable drive is poorly designed and Dinosaur maintenance decided they weren't going to continue fixing it until WDI redesigned it. It is, actually, a safety issue, because the cable had a tendency to break. This resulted in a 1/2" steel tow line dropping in the vicinity of the track, in an area that could possibly hit guests.

The last time it worked was July, 2000. Since then, nobody has wanted to put forth the money to redesign it. Also, the bit about water and traction is correct.

As a comment, the topic of CTX vs. Dinosaur has been discussed at length in other threads.
Thanks for correcting my correction. :) I guess my point was that the effect wasn't turned off due to the taming down because it wasn't working when it was still called CTX either. I have never been on the ride with the effect working, can anyone tell me if it was effective?

BRER STITCH

Re: Dinasour

Originally posted by kennyj29
...the noise level was out of control. I can take the roughness or the way the ride used to be, but the noise level was awful. So if you write to them and ask them to put it back to the way it was, at least keep the noise level the way it is.....thanks!

AMEN!

:lol:

I always thought some of the show scenes were WAY TOO LOUD!!

Great show desingers know that even a well timed whisper can scare the heck out someone!

I love it.....I just need to remember when to cover my ears!

:p

ToTBellHop

I knew the Pteronodon used to fly at guests...you can see the track it is on. I really wish they would close this ride for a couple months and fix all the broken effects. I do remember the original Right, Left, Right scene...it was incredible. If you didn't wear your seatbelt there, you could tell that you would LITERALLY fly out of the Rover. I really do prefer the old version of this ride, and I don't see the necessity for the change--this ride used to be as intense as the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland--anyone who has ridden this will, I'm sure, note that it is MUCH wilder than DINOSAUR. With the seatbelts, anyway, I'm not sure they really needed to tame it down as much as they did. But, it dropped the height requirement by several inches...I seem to remember the restriction being way up around 52", but it may have just been 48"...I know far higher than the current height requirement.

Dayma

I went to AK last year and forgot to ride this ride...he he....guess I was a newb to AK. Cant wait to ride it now.

It still sounds like fun to me :)

meeko_33785

I like both rides. They're both lots of fun and I barely noticed when they changed it. As for the name, "DINOSAUR" is a fairly lame name, but I though that "Countdown to Exrinction" seemed a bit morbid of a name.

FatherForce

I didn;t get a chance to ride "Dinosaur" until 2001, but I was slightly disappointed. It was pretty coll, but I had ridden Indiana Jones at Disneyland a couple of years earlier and was expecting something of that caliber.
It wasn't.
Dinosaur to me is like Body Wars. I'll do it if I have time, but I'm not real jazzed about going on it again.
However, I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get back to California so I can ride the Temple of Mara again.
THAT is an incredible ride.

kennyj29

Taming it down

My nephew rode it last year and he was petrified. He was 6 at the time. So it isn't totally tamed because he is a dinasour freak! He loves them but when it came to that ride, he didn't love them! If they were taming it down for the little ones, it didn't work. So I think they could put a couple of more things back into (except the noise) because if it was geared towards children, it still frightens them!~

TinasTravel

I loved CTX more than the tamer Dinosaur. Something about being scared by meat eating dinosaurs then having Alladar save us at the end. I mean, I go from being scared to being in a Disney movie. And the monitors at the end showing Alladar running loose in the lab, to me this is dumb.

It's either a scary ride or a Disney movie ride. Trying to do both messes it up. IMHO.:D

meeko_33785

Originally posted by TinasTravel
And the monitors at the end showing Alladar running loose in the lab, to me this is dumb.

It's either a scary ride or a Disney movie ride. Trying to do both messes it up. IMHO.:D

The scenes of Aladar on the monitors at the end were always there even before the movie came out. Or at least they were there since I first went on it, which was more than a year before the film came out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom