Count-down to Disney

DisSplash

Hi everyone!

We are headed back to DisneyWorld next month and we cannot wait! I have had a very grueling 8 months at work and the only thing keeping me sane through it all is the picture I took of the entryway to the World the last time we visited. So needless to say, I really NEED this trip as Disney is my "happy place" where I recapture the giddiness, playfulness, and sense of wonder in tiny details that I envy in my children every day. It also helps to remind me not to take myself or life too seriously and to just enjoy the ride. Literally!

DisSplash

Original Poster
Ok, so this newbie has not quite figured out how to finish her thread before posting! :rolleyes: Anyway, what I was trying to get out there is this: This is the first time we are going in August and we are headed back to Shades of Green as we took advantage of their "Hurricane Sale" last year (my description, not theirs) following Hurricane Isaac last August - who could say no to 40% off already decent prices? As we are counting down the days (my son has a counter on his marker board) I am just now slightly worried we could be impacted ourselves by such an event when we go on the 16th. Has anyone out there dealt with this issue?

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I was there during a tropical storm. Disney kept us notified of hour changes and it turned out fine for us. Disney ended up opening parks earlier and extending hours on places like the movie theater and Disney Quest. It was just really windy and rainy but we just put our ponchos on and headed out. A lot of people stayed away from the parks, it was so strange to see an empty Main Street at 6pm. If we had been on the other side of the storm it might have been a different situation I guess there was a lot of lightning and some flooding. The storm was supposed to pass by in a day but ended up being stagnant for 3 days over Orlando. Anyway, despite a large branch almost falling on my husband's head we had a grand time during the storm.

Upvote 0

DisSplash

Original Poster
It's good to know that there may still be options other than hiding out in the hotel room if the weather gets a little too much for some people. I like that they opened the parks early so you can catch some fun before the storm hit! Here's hoping that aside from a daily thunder shower we won't have to worry too much, but at least I know now that 'all is not lost!'

Upvote 0

75disney

It is a risk at that time of year. That being said, my family went to WDW many times at the end of Aug. and we only had a hurricane hit one time. It came up the east coast so it did not pass over Orlando directly, but there was a lot of wind and rain. The morning before it hit, we went into the MK; it was empty. We walked on all of the rides and got great pictures of an empty park. After lunch, the storm was closer, so we went back to watch the Poly get ready for the hurricane. It was cool to see them putting the lounge chairs into the pools. Once the storm hit, we stayed in our building, ordered room service, and played games. We also hung out in the hall way and socialized with other guests. It was a unique experience. We were leaving the next day. The storm was gone, but flights were delayed and our flight home was very turbulent because we were following the path of the storm and it still had outer rain and wind bands.
Don't let hurricane season worry you. My parents retired to Florida four years ago and we (in the mid-Atlantic) have gotten one earthquake and two hurricanes since then. My parents have gotten nothing.
Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom