Could the "Icon" image of every park change?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
I don't think SE, Cindy Castle or ToL is in any danger as of right now. I agree with @MisterPenguin that holding that centralized location bodes well for that area in DHS to house the icon (whatever it may be). That doesn't mean there can't or won't be association with other attractions as there is now with SM to MK and ToT to DHS (even when the Sorcerer's hat was there).

I think to answer the OP, DHS is obviously what will (change) be replaced. It has over time anyway (Water Tower, Hat) and I don't think it is a particular shock to anyone.

Cinderella Castle will probably never be replaced. It may change though. She could get a makeover, an extension a new tower etc.

Don't know what they could replace ToL with. Unless it was attraction based.

I think the one that over time may be in jeopardy would be Spaceship Earth. And this would only be if Future World morphs into IP Land and one genius gets the notion to turn it permanently into the Death Star. I'm not advocating this, I wouldn't particularly like this (as SE is one of my favorite dark rides), I'm not saying this will happen. I just think that between Cinderella Castle, ToL, and SE - If one those was a candidate to change - it'd probably be SE.

Cmdr_Crimson

Once MMRR is open and is *the* featured attraction for *the* Disney Icon (Mickey himself), I don't see how the Chinese Theater won't be *the* icon for DHS, especially given its central location.

Although, I'm sure they'll find a way to sneak in Star Wars images wherever they can.
Isn't about some owership of the actual theater which is why it's not being used on merch or as an icon?
Also Warner Bros Movieworld Madrid has their own version but, It's a 3d movie attraction instead..
wbmw5.jpg

SuperStretccch

DHS is the only one that's fluctuated a lot, but I think the ToT will still be the icon for the time being because it's near the front of the park and visible from almost anywhere, not to mention that it's still what most people think of when they think of DHS.

JIMINYCR

The MK Castle, AK Tree of LIfe, EP Spaceship Earth will probably never change as icons. They are so prominently placed and stand out in peoples minds as THE park icon that they will stand for all time. DHS would be more likely to see a change of icon if ToT theme is changed or something SW related gets in to signify the new starring role for the park.

bsiev1977

With all of the changes coming to the parks, I can't help but wonder if the icon image of every park will change at some point in the future. If I understand correctly, the icons are:

Magic Kingdom: Cinderella's Castle
EPCOT: Spaceship Earth
Disney's Hollywood Studios: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Disney's Animal Kingdom: The Tree of Life

Do you think that at some point in the near future, these images will change and there will be a new face for every park? Maybe not so much Magic Kingdom but what of the others? And would this even be a big deal - how would you perceive it?

Short answer, no they will not change.

Maybe, just maybe the HS icon could change. The other three are the main visual focal points of their respective parks.

Br’er Rabbit

So what I do find interesting then is that DHS's icon is a thrill attraction which calls to a certain market, but it isn't quite "kid friendly" or neutral. They could've done the same thing for AK with Expedition Everest, but instead chose the iconic tree of life.

This could mean that either A. DHS identity is best complimented by the ToT or B. They really don't know what DHS's icon is supposed to be given its multiple changes.

All 4 current icons are legendary, they're all featured and they're all well-loved. Still - I could maybe see them all changing.

Because Animal Kingsom has a giant landmark that you can see when you first enter the park. Same with MK and Epcot. Those will always be the icons because they’re the things that stand out the most when you walk in.

Hollywood Studios has the Chinese Theater as their main central landmark but it’s not very large and is usually covered by the Star Wars stage show.

It would bizarre to say the least for Epcot to change their icon to GoG when it’s not the main icon when you walk into the park.

Walt Disney1955

I'll agree with the whole thing that only DHS could change. I hope they never tear down the Tower of Terror, but they might have something a bit more iconic as the "face" of the park when you enter and still keep the ToT. The other three I say not a chance. Epcot is even too iconic with the big golf ball. In reality, these parks would feel different and not in a good way if you did this.

Cinderella's Castle isn't just THE image of MK it is the image of Walt Disney World. It is the first thing you think of and the first thing even a person who has never been there before thinks of. When I was 10 we flew to Florida and as we were landing I was hoping to get my first glimpse of the Castle. That's what I mean by that, I knew about it even before I set foot inside.

Not only that, but how many other things in the U.S.A. are as iconic as Cinderella's Castle? In other words, if you showed pictures to a wide range of people of all ages what were in these pictures what images would be more well known? Off the top of my head the only ones I can think of would be:

Statue of Liberty
White House
Niagara Falls
Grand Canyon
Empire State Building (maybe)
Fenway Park/Wrigley Field (and that's being generous)
Hollywood sign
Mount Rushmore (maybe)

Other than that, perhaps on the other coast Sleeping Beauty Castle is just as iconic. But am I missing any? Maybe I am, but it just goes to show you that Cinderella's Castle is right up there with everything.

HwdStudio

You say that (presumably) in jest, but take a look at the Disney Visa Redemption Card sample image. Four parks, four icons. ;)

View attachment 304893
I don’t think those icons are meant to represent 4 parks. The cards aren’t exclusive to WDW and can be used at DL, Disney Store, etc... One of the icons on that card is a shopping bag. Which of the 4 parks would it represent? Just my opinion. I don’t know for sure. I found it interesting when you brought it up because I have one of the cards and hadn’t even noticed the icons at all until I saw your post.

anchorman314

I don’t think those icons are meant to represent 4 parks. The cards aren’t exclusive to WDW and can be used at DL, Disney Store, etc... One of the icons on that card is a shopping bag. Which of the 4 parks would it represent? Just my opinion. I don’t know for sure. I found it interesting when you brought it up because I have one of the cards and hadn’t even noticed the icons at all until I saw your post.
Maybe you're kidding, but I don't see those images as related to the 4 parks, just Disney and shopping in general. Mouse ears (Disney), castle (MK), stormtrooper (new Disney), shopping bag (the almighty $$$).
Indeed, 'twas merely a joke.

crxbrett

DHS went through several icons, from the Chinese Theater, Mouse Ear Tower, that big Fantasia Hat (that hid the Chinese Theater), and now the Tower of Terror.

Next, it will probably be the Millenium Falcon.
The icon of DHS has been the Chinese Theater, the Sorcerer's Hat, and the "Earfull Tower" (which has been torn down). Disney has never had much of an idea of what to do with that park.

Yep, the Studios have definitely had an identity crisis when it comes to what imagery represents it.

I don't think the other 3 will ever change and even more so with Cinderella Castle and Spaceship Earth. Those 2 are just way too iconic now in people's minds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom