Could Jungle cruise be a harbinger for minor refurbs going forward?

ppete1975

Original Poster
I think the way they are handling jungle cruise (regardless of opinions on the changes), is brilliant. Instead of closing the ride keep the ride going as you change small bits. Of course jungle cruise has a live skipper so they can change the script on the fly and there is enough going on they really dont have to scrim off what is being changed. But could they start altering rides without closing them, in certain situations? Even if they had to scrim off a scene.
OF course this wouldnt happen if a track needed to be replaced or if safety was an issue (yeti falling on someones head).
Then again they could just do everything at night and most things wouldnt have to be shut down at all. Stage in another building then just install at night or in 1-2 days.
I would just like for them to rethink how they do ride changes and not close things for refurbs for as long as they sometimes do. Its nice jungle cruise wasnt closed for a 6 moth reimagining.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
As for the OG post, I agree, I think it’s a fantastic way to get things like painting, small show scenes, and other things done.

Universal has done it before with Jurassic Park and the long neck Dino just being put behind a fence/under a camo cloth.

Last edited by a moderator:

el_super

But could they start altering rides without closing them, in certain situations? Even if they had to scrim off a scene.

They've done this before with some attractions to varying levels of success. For some reason the only one that's coming to mind right now was a refurb of the Progress City model on the PeopleMover that was blocked off for awhile. It's really dependent on how integral a scene is to the overall story of the attraction, and whether the absence of the scene will cause confusion and complaints.

Typically though, it's easier to just schedule show changes to occur at the same time that track and vehicles have to be down for inspection and maintenance anyway.

I'm not sure why they've gone this route for the Jungle Cruise, other than maybe wanting to keep overall capacity up.

Chicken Guy

As for the OG post, I agree, I think it’s a fantastic way to get things like painting, small show scenes, and other things done.

Universal has done it before with Jurassic Park and the long neck Dino just being put behind a fence/under a camo cloth.
I think Disney could pull off this kind of a piecemeal refurb with Spaceship Earth, especially for the scenes on the descent.

CosmicRays

Absolutely they can start “remodeling” to to speak. And frankly I know of alot of rides/areas that need some TLC- I like the idea of minor enhancements and sprucing up so the downtime isnt as long and people can enjoy their favorite attractions while on vacation.

celluloid

I think the way they are handling jungle cruise (regardless of opinions on the changes), is brilliant. Instead of closing the ride keep the ride going as you change small bits. Of course jungle cruise has a live skipper so they can change the script on the fly and there is enough going on they really dont have to scrim off what is being changed. But could they start altering rides without closing them, in certain situations? Even if they had to scrim off a scene.
OF course this wouldnt happen if a track needed to be replaced or if safety was an issue (yeti falling on someones head).
Then again they could just do everything at night and most things wouldnt have to be shut down at all. Stage in another building then just install at night or in 1-2 days.
I would just like for them to rethink how they do ride changes and not close things for refurbs for as long as they sometimes do. Its nice jungle cruise wasnt closed for a 6 moth reimagining.

Likely no as the Jungle Cruise had a budget and timeline approved for the movie when synergy was going to be a thing and was delayed a few times. Eventually something was to be done or it would be lost. What we are seeing is actually a cut from if the movie was a smash hit to a so so received situation and would happen and the changes could not be delayed any longer. Remember that the movie was delayed multiple times even before Covid19.

ppete1975

Original Poster
Likely no as the Jungle Cruise had a budget and timeline approved for the movie when synergy was going to be a thing and was delayed a few times. Eventually something was to be done or it would be lost. What we are seeing is actually a cut from if the movie was a smash hit to a so so received situation and would happen and the changes could not be delayed any longer. Remember that the movie was delayed multiple times even before Covid19.
im honestly shocked it didnt get pushed to disney+ last year after the second delay

still excited for it though

but im a rock fan

JIMINYCR

Could be done depending on what needs attention and how it affects the guests experience. I think if it disrupts the flow of the attraction by taking away or breaking the way the guests attention holds to the story, then no. In the majority of cases I think Disney would rather shut down and not risk guests seeing anything other than a perfected, completed, refurbed, whole scene.

ppete1975

Original Poster
Could be done depending on what needs attention and how it affects the guests experience. I think if it disrupts the flow of the attraction by taking away or breaking the way the guests attention holds to the story, then no. In the majority of cases I think Disney would rather shut down and not risk guests seeing anything other than a perfected, completed, refurbed, whole scene.
in that case gran fiesta, EE, kali, etc etc etc should be closed for a bit. :)

spock8113

This is the best way to perform ride maintenance introducing changes gradually and still generating revenue through full park operation.
As opposed to New York LaGuardia Airport where they just tore everything apart at once making it the worst airport for 5 years and counting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom