Could Genie+ changed?

SteveAZee

Disney has NEVER cared about the loyal repeat customer otherwise they would offer discounts/perks for repeat, loyal guests like many other companies do. IMO Disney is more interested in maximizing profits from the one and done guest rather than cultivate the loyal guest. I hope it comes to bite them in the butt one day.
I think the first part is fairly accurate... they've never really had to provide a whole lot of perks to repeaters and even those things like DVC (they explicitly say it's not an investment) or the Dining Plan (which is about convenience, not cost savings), or other perceived financial wins... they've never really had to, so they don't.

It does feel like they're squeezing extra hard the last couple of years (or months?) for every drop of cash they can get, but I think it's more calculated than just short term thinking for the last possible dollar. They want to keep increasing $/guest as much as possible... so no discounts, no perks, and focus on those with lots of extra cash to spend on vacations. It sucks for people who can't or won't spend more for a Disney vacation, and they seem to be fine with that.

There may be some butt-biting at some point... I'm guessing if they start to feel, they might loosen things up a bit... but they'll need to see it clearly on the bottom line first.

DfromATX

Its like you didn't even read my post.

Its clear you have not been since FP+ as you seem to think that prior to Genie there were paper fastpasses and no need for your phone...
Sorry but that system has been dead for YEARS and was not going to come back.

There are free aspects of Genie...
And I think you've been in the pandemic too long using the word mandate.
You do not have to buy anything. You could just walk up and wait in a queue for every attraction besides one.
And no Disney is no forcing it on everyone. They don't even want everyone to buy it. There needs to be a balance of those who do and wait in the LL and those who don't and wait in the SB.

Love how you assume I have money to throw away especially when I specifically said there's opportunity costs involved.

Anymore I don't think you can go to many theme parks and leave your phone behind.
Universal has virtual queues etc as well.

You certainly proved my point that your mentality is "not in my backyard" as you said you don't care what the other parks do only WDW.

I do always suggest if you no longer enjoy going somewhere that you find somewhere new so good on you for actually speaking with your wallet and opting out of Disney.
I may be wrong, but I took it that he would like to see a system where you scanned your phone at the kiosk similar to the way they used to do paper fast passes, but I didn't think he was saying they still use the paper type. Maybe I misunderstood.

What's wrong with "not in my backyard"? I also don't care what other parks do, but yes, I DO care what Disney World does. As I said earlier, all the perks is what made them different from the rest.

DfromATX

Disney has NEVER cared about the loyal repeat customer otherwise they would offer discounts/perks for repeat, loyal guests like many other companies do. IMO Disney is more interested in maximizing profits from the one and done guest rather than cultivate the loyal guest. I hope it comes to bite them in the butt one day.

You are right and I never really thought of that before until recently. I wish they did offer perks for repeat guests, even if it was something small just to acknowledge appreciation. This is something that cruiselines do to encourage loyalty. I have wondered why they ask when you call how many times you've been.

nickys

Premium Member
Disneyland Paris has reduced prices of Fastpass Premium Access. Do you think Bob and his friend could do the same at Disneyland and Disney World?

From my view, they have not sold all the fastpass which they wanted. Well, if you have any idea, it is very welcome. Maybe, we have hope
The prices on the website are the same as they were before they started Premiere Access. It’s true not many people are buying them.

Disstevefan1

I'm finding it difficult to rationalise what the business model is here. It seems to be aimed at the short-term high profit gain, whilst alienating their own long-term customer base. Reading a lot of responses to this Genie it appears to be virtually all negative, which isn't at all surprising. But it's not just the Genie app, it's also having to pay a premium on top of the app for some Lightening Lane rides as well as the removal of free parking, the ending of the Magical Express and the cropping down of Magic Hours for Disney Guests, that's before we throw in increased of turnstile prices and staying at resorts - of which there is no reason to stay there anymore.

A lot of people used to come to WDW almost religiously. For them, there is no place like any other. People come from all over the world to visit and stay at WDW, and have done repeatedly for years, if not decades. Surely, it's from them where the long term profits come from. But what has happened? Disney now appears to have priced themselves out of people's reach. It is no longer viable to come to WDW. Throwing in all the price rises, app and premium costs has made coming to the World outside their price range. All this extra people are being forced to pay is pushing people away to other places.

We were planning to come back to the world after a few years absence and looked forward to coming, right up until I saw that video of that very nice person trying to tell me I have to drag my phone around the park with me (which I don't want to) because an "old favourite" of Fastpass is being retired and for that, Mickey Mouse is going to shake out the contents of my wallet for me. This app is not a cheap minor add-on, it's going to add a considerable percentage to the whole vacation. Doing some totting up, to come to WDW as we always have done is going to cost us $3,600 on top of what we would normally pay (That is, app, parking, resort and tickets). And what are we going to get for this $3,600? We would be simply paying for everything which used to be free, but nothing which would add to our vacation. $3,600 is easily the cost of a vacation at another destination and it's far beyond acceptable. "We" could afford the extra, but we won't on pay it on principle and I can fully understand the reaction of those who want to come to WDW but can no longer afford it - because of a stupid app.

Of course, then there are the practicalities of using this stupid app, apart from helping Disney to empty my bank balance. Yes, you don't need to have it, but with the extortionate pricing of it, how many guests are going to resort to using the Standby lines? I expect line wait times to explode to maybe three or four hours long to save their $15/day/person. In other words, your time in the parks will be reduced to a few rides if you can't stump up the $. There again, if all the Lighting Lanes reservations go live at 7:00am, they will probably be taken long before the park actually opens. So you could turn up at the ticket office, buy your app and find there is nothing to pick from because everyone else has taken everything before you even showed up. And how many people actually want to drag a mobile phone around the park all day? I don't. Nor do I want to have my day regimented and be told where I have to go and when. I also don't want Disney tracking where I go and what I do.

Someone really needs to sit down and think very carefully about this and what they are doing to their customer base. If Disney wants to recoup after Covid, then incentivise people to come, NOT put them off. A full park will make money. An empty one won't.
For a long time, many many years before the the pandemic, Disney fans complained that TWDC was aimed at the short-term high profit gain, whilst alienating their own long-term customer base.

It apparently worked for years and will continue to work for TWDC..

It seems to me, TWDC is so big and diverse, that it spend a lot of money and make mistakes then recover and make even more money.

I see no end to this and the pandemic has proved this.

TWDC is invincible.

No, I am not a shareholder.

erasure fan1

It apparently worked for years and will continue to work for TWDC..

It seems to me, TWDC is so big and diverse, that it spend a lot of money and make mistakes then recover and make even more money.

I see no end to this and the pandemic has proved this.

TWDC is invincible.
It sure does seem that way. I know I wouldn't bet against it. I've seen a lot of fans of different things, put up with a lot of stuff. But Disney fans are a complete other breed. I really want them to just go all out. Raise prices 2 or 3 times current levels for everything. I just really want to know if there is a breaking point. If there is a breaking point, just pull back a little, give a free cupcake, and the fans come running back. Win, win.

Karakasa

It depends on the full intent of Genie+.

We know they want to use it to make money, Chapek made that crystal clear. Now, if they feel their money-making is more desirable via directing people towards certain eateries or shops, then it's possible Genie+ or Lightning Lane could decrease in price very quickly if demand is not high; after all, if they want to increase food/merch sales, they need people buying Genie+, and of course the general crowd control attempts. If it's through direct Genie+ sales and individual Lightning Lane pass purchases, then, well... no, I don't think they will.

mm52

I'm finding it difficult to rationalise what the business model is here. It seems to be aimed at the short-term high profit gain, whilst alienating their own long-term customer base. Reading a lot of responses to this Genie it appears to be virtually all negative, which isn't at all surprising. But it's not just the Genie app, it's also having to pay a premium on top of the app for some Lightening Lane rides as well as the removal of free parking, the ending of the Magical Express and the cropping down of Magic Hours for Disney Guests, that's before we throw in increased of turnstile prices and staying at resorts - of which there is no reason to stay there anymore.

A lot of people used to come to WDW almost religiously. For them, there is no place like any other. People come from all over the world to visit and stay at WDW, and have done repeatedly for years, if not decades. Surely, it's from them where the long term profits come from. But what has happened? Disney now appears to have priced themselves out of people's reach. It is no longer viable to come to WDW. Throwing in all the price rises, app and premium costs has made coming to the World outside their price range. All this extra people are being forced to pay is pushing people away to other places.

We were planning to come back to the world after a few years absence and looked forward to coming, right up until I saw that video of that very nice person trying to tell me I have to drag my phone around the park with me (which I don't want to) because an "old favourite" of Fastpass is being retired and for that, Mickey Mouse is going to shake out the contents of my wallet for me. This app is not a cheap minor add-on, it's going to add a considerable percentage to the whole vacation. Doing some totting up, to come to WDW as we always have done is going to cost us $3,600 on top of what we would normally pay (That is, app, parking, resort and tickets). And what are we going to get for this $3,600? We would be simply paying for everything which used to be free, but nothing which would add to our vacation. $3,600 is easily the cost of a vacation at another destination and it's far beyond acceptable. "We" could afford the extra, but we won't on pay it on principle and I can fully understand the reaction of those who want to come to WDW but can no longer afford it - because of a stupid app.

Of course, then there are the practicalities of using this stupid app, apart from helping Disney to empty my bank balance. Yes, you don't need to have it, but with the extortionate pricing of it, how many guests are going to resort to using the Standby lines? I expect line wait times to explode to maybe three or four hours long to save their $15/day/person. In other words, your time in the parks will be reduced to a few rides if you can't stump up the $. There again, if all the Lighting Lanes reservations go live at 7:00am, they will probably be taken long before the park actually opens. So you could turn up at the ticket office, buy your app and find there is nothing to pick from because everyone else has taken everything before you even showed up. And how many people actually want to drag a mobile phone around the park all day? I don't. Nor do I want to have my day regimented and be told where I have to go and when. I also don't want Disney tracking where I go and what I do.

Someone really needs to sit down and think very carefully about this and what they are doing to their customer base. If Disney wants to recoup after Covid, then incentivise people to come, NOT put them off. A full park will make money. An empty one won't.
I love Disney and am a die heart fan but you said exactly what I've been thinking for a while. We used to go every year sometime more that once and we have been going before you had to have a schedule and day planner to enjoy the parks. I enjoyed waking up at the resort and deciding that day which park we wanted to go to and park hop at any time of the day. The Magical Express was a great perk. It saved us from renting a car and have it sit in the parking lot for 10 days. Having to decide way in advance which park you want to be in, never mind making dining plans so far out it ruins the magic. So unfortunately, unless things change I don't see us spending all the money for trip to Disney anytime in the near future. Disney is taking the magic away.

Disstevefan1

I love Disney and am a die heart fan but you said exactly what I've been thinking for a while. We used to go every year sometime more that once and we have been going before you had to have a schedule and day planner to enjoy the parks. I enjoyed waking up at the resort and deciding that day which park we wanted to go to and park hop at any time of the day. The Magical Express was a great perk. It saved us from renting a car and have it sit in the parking lot for 10 days. Having to decide way in advance which park you want to be in, never mind making dining plans so far out it ruins the magic. So unfortunately, unless things change I don't see us spending all the money for trip to Disney anytime in the near future. Disney is taking the magic away.
Totally agree with you. Sadly it does appear that for now, you are not the customer the Disney Parks wants. They want to make money now so they want new customers that have the money and have nothing to compare to in a Disney Parks vacation; no idea what it was like before and just pay the price.

Perhaps after they have made enough money this way and the bean counter’s spreadsheets dictate a change, then we may see something that vaguely resembles the way it was before.

Time will tell.

Littleclown

It is with great sadness that my grandchildren will never experience WDW as I have for 19 times in the last 25 years. It was great boarding a plane and having my luggage delivered to my room. Getting a free ride to my resort and being able to buy tickets before I left home with fast passes for everyday of my stay. Now if I take these grandchildren to the park I have to handle my luggage and rent a car, which I will have to pay parking at my resort even though it will sit there unused for my stay, until I check out and drive it back to the airport. I will not be able to give these children the rides they want because we have to pay extra so they won't stand in line all day for a few non-popular rides. The will differently not miss something they have and won't ever experience in my lifetime. I am sadden that money grab is all about making more money then I am able to supply. I only hope more of my generation does the same and hurt TWDC the way it hurts us not being able to raise another generation that would come back every year for 17 straight because it was THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH.

Greg in TN

I don’t think Disney gives a hoot about guest satisfaction, as long as they can replace each ed off Disney-loyalist with a rube or newby who doesn’t know any better and will blindly spend whatever they’re asked to. Are they simply going to keep increasing costs until attendance starts to drop? My feeling would be that when they hit that point, they’ve already gone beyond the point of no return—that it’s too late to go back, and no amount of "free cupcakes" will bring people back.

I have a feeling that when attendance numbers do start to drop because of the expenses out-weighing the Magic, that they’ll plummet. The one-&-done families are not raising kids with expectations of returning to Disney, and thereby fostering the expectations of taking future generations, etc.

Are there enough one-&-done families to keep things going? I guess that's what Disney's betting on.

G00fyDad

And dont forget those people who would run up to the FP kiosk with their entire groups cards in their hands collecting the FP. It wasnt bad for a family getting several tickets but when you had entire tour groups being collected, covering several kiosks, you didnt have a chance getting in.

You usually did not even need that. I watched many people just tell the CM trying to handle the flow of guests with the machine open how many they needed and they spit them out.

DfromATX

I don’t think Disney gives a hoot about guest satisfaction, as long as they can replace each ****ed off Disney-loyalist with a rube or newby who doesn’t know any better and will blindly spend whatever they’re asked to. Are they simply going to keep increasing costs until attendance starts to drop? My feeling would be that when they hit that point, they’ve already gone beyond the point of no return—that it’s too late to go back, and no amount of "free cupcakes" will bring people back.

I have a feeling that when attendance numbers do start to drop because of the expenses out-weighing the Magic, that they’ll plummet. The one-&-done families are not raising kids with expectations of returning to Disney, and thereby fostering the expectations of taking future generations, etc.

Are there enough one-&-done families to keep things going? I guess that's what Disney's betting on.
Unfortunately, I think you are right.

DocAndy

As a frequent theme park visitor who likes my weekends in Orlando, my family has always purchased our admissions by the year, not the day (usually with premium level passes giving me lots of benefits). Genie Plus does not allow me to do that, so I did not renew and have no intention to for the next year or so given the current pass structure. Lots of other weekend entertainment to take a weekend trip away from Tampa Bay and gather hotel points, plenty of nice restaurants in Central Florida (noting my past restauraunts I used to enjoy with Tables in Wonderland options are escalating in price with what looks like weaker menus). After my third vaccine dose, I'm travelling more on my weekends. Sure, I am looking forward to going back to Disney, but if I am returning to 30-60+ minute lines like years ago, I think I will wait awhile given the climbing price point of the annual passes with weekend access and wait until (and if) real name band concerts return safely to EPCOT (noting Sea World returned their concert schedule last year and their Platinum Pass has nice benefits for our family.
In the meantime, I look forward to my Broadway Subscription at the Straz Center as they restart shows later in October, may go back to Universal with their Premium Pass which gives express access after 4pm once it gets cooler... and I'll let Disney figure themselves out over the next year or so before I invest in a pass to a place who doesn't seem to want Florida repeat visitors bringing their friends and family with them into their parks and restaurants.

Disstevefan1

As a frequent theme park visitor who likes my weekends in Orlando, my family has always purchased our admissions by the year, not the day (usually with premium level passes giving me lots of benefits). Genie Plus does not allow me to do that, so I did not renew and have no intention to for the next year or so given the current pass structure. Lots of other weekend entertainment to take a weekend trip away from Tampa Bay and gather hotel points, plenty of nice restaurants in Central Florida (noting my past restauraunts I used to enjoy with Tables in Wonderland options are escalating in price with what looks like weaker menus). After my third vaccine dose, I'm travelling more on my weekends. Sure, I am looking forward to going back to Disney, but if I am returning to 30-60+ minute lines like years ago, I think I will wait awhile given the climbing price point of the annual passes with weekend access and wait until (and if) real name band concerts return safely to EPCOT (noting Sea World returned their concert schedule last year and their Platinum Pass has nice benefits for our family.
In the meantime, I look forward to my Broadway Subscription at the Straz Center as they restart shows later in October, may go back to Universal with their Premium Pass which gives express access after 4pm once it gets cooler... and I'll let Disney figure themselves out over the next year or so before I invest in a pass to a place who doesn't seem to want Florida repeat visitors bringing their friends and family with them into their parks and restaurants.
Agreed. My family held three platinum APs for the last 13 years or so up until the pandemic hit. I also did not renew our APs. We will hold off until we see how this Genie, Genie + , Lightning Lane and pay-per-ride works, we are also waiting for GotG and TRON and the WDW RR to come back on line, yes, I know we are years away from these!

In the meantime, my money will go to Universal and SeaWorld..

Jeff4272

The paper fast passes have been gone a very long time and for a very good reason. You had to get up and rope drop than RUN to the rides you wanted. People had routs to take and kids made to dash. You would run to one hope you were fast enough get a few passes for your family while other members were at the other stations doing the same. You would really rather have to run around to get a fp all day than just use your phone?

I don't understand folks hating the phone aspect of life right now. It's here to stay. They make things easier for company's to roll out. Almost everyone has one. And folks who can't afford one they don't want you in the park anyway.
This is the same system, just without the running....they replaced running with $$$$

SteveAZee

I think the Genie+ price will remain the same and it seems like a reasonable one.

I think that the Lightning Lane pay per attraction could very well be lowered from what they had been thinking before the even launch it.
It's rare for the price of anything, particularly something new, to not go up. It also seems like it's rare for the price of anything to go down... usually if the price needs to be lowered they simply do away with it. I'm sure there are exceptions... I'm just not thinking of any.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
It's rare for the price of anything, particularly something new, to not go up. It also seems like it's rare for the price of anything to go down... usually if the price needs to be lowered they simply do away with it. I'm sure there are exceptions... I'm just not thinking of any.

The thing is it hasn't rolled out yet.
They could have been initially thinking of a much higher price and have brought it down prior to even releasing the per attraction prices to the public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom