Could a new sponsorship be in the works with this new Disney Parks partnership with..

Pentacat

Meh. The whole "lack of sponsorship" argument has gotten old anyway, it's just an excuse that the Disney execs trot out to explain the lack of investment in Epcot. The real problem is purely a lack of vision not money.

To me Epcot is the hardest park to fix. The pace of technology is so rapid now that there's no hope that attractions can stay "fresh" enough to warrant the expense of construction in FW. Given the state of some of the current attractions what company would want to investment millions and risk damaging their brand due to lack of upkeep? Not to mention that besides product placement how much branding is there in a FW Pavillion? The BEST example is probably TT with the automotive tie-in for GM but how much HP branding is there on MS? There's the logo on the outside but it's not like there are stacks of HP computers and equipment lining the walls or that some piece of HP gear is critical to the mission's success.

TWDC can't spend $1+ billion dollars fixing/upgrading CA and still claim that Epcot has to limp along with one shuttered pavilion and two that are on life support because there are no sponsors.

wdwfan4ver

With the launch of the Vita and PS4 on the horizon (2 or 3yrs I bet), I would doubt they would or could sponsor anything. The way a video game system works is you sell it at a loss when its new until manufacturing cost comes down. This can take years, they count on the software licensing from the games to make their money. Launching a major system is a HUGE financial drain and risk. So trying to sell more cameras with Disneys help, yea I see it. Sponsoring a major attraction? Highly doubtful.

Vita was already released in Europe and North America this year. They were released in February matter of fact. Vita has been released in Japan since December of 2011.

You are right on the Ps4 when it is supposed to come out. I think it is possible to see to see the Ps4 announced at E3 this year.

wdwfan4ver

The way a video game system works is you sell it at a loss when its new until manufacturing cost comes down. This can take years, they count on the software licensing from the games to make their money. Launching a major system is a HUGE financial drain and risk.

That is only true for Sony and Microsoft.

Nintendo's Wii U system is going to have a $120.00 profit on each Wii U system sold. The Rumor is the Wii U has $180.00 worth of parts and is going to be sold for $300.00 and Nintendo is going to have a net profit as a result.

Here is my source on Wii U making a profit on each system sold:
http://kotaku.com/5900153/rumor-the-wii-u-has-180-worth-of-parts-wont-be-sold-under-300

bhg469

Is it just me or does the idea of Crayola + Muppets = Awesome. I know that adding characters to Epcot Pavilions is a touchy subject but it's the Muppets....

Of course the return of a smallish purple dragon-like creature would work as well.

That does sound awesome. A really fun company tied in with a franchise that can satisfy the masses.

erasure fan1

Vita was already released in Europe and North America this year. They were released in February matter of fact. Vita has been released in Japan since December of 2011.

You are right on the Ps4 when it is supposed to come out. I think it is possible to see to see the Ps4 announced at E3 this year.
Yes thats what I was referring to. The Vita will be a significant financial burden for the next couple few years and when that starts to lighten the PS4 will be just out orcoming soon.

That is only true for Sony and Microsoft.

Nintendo's Wii U system is going to have a $120.00 profit on each Wii U system sold. The Rumor is the Wii U has $180.00 worth of parts and is going to be sold for $300.00 and Nintendo is going to have a net profit as a result.

Here is my source on Wii U making a profit on each system sold:
http://kotaku.com/5900153/rumor-the-wii-u-has-180-worth-of-parts-wont-be-sold-under-300
Not to get too off the subject but in my opinion the reason it will have profit is it will be underpowered like the wii was. Nintendo is at its lowest in a long time so they cant afford to take a loss. And Sony could be in a worse situation by the time PS4 comes around.

NoChesterHester

Sony is revising its loss estimate to 6.4 billion. They are about to go into big asset shedding mode to try to right the ship.

Definitely no room for a sponsorship.

bhg469

Sony is revising its loss estimate to 6.4 billion. They are about to go into big asset shedding mode to try to right the ship.

Definitely no room for a sponsorship.

Color me shocked. I was going to pull the trigger on a new watch they are making that will sync to an android device. I opted to invest in a wildly successful kick starter project instead. Sony is really just coasting on their gaming division even more than ever.

tl77

Sony is also one of the big 5 film and tv studios, it seems like that might be a conflict with Disney. GE had to end their sponsorships when they bought NBC/Universal

flavious27

Sony is also one of the big 5 film and tv studios, it seems like that might be a conflict with Disney. GE had to end their sponsorships when they bought NBC/Universal

Hasn't GE stopped sponsoring disney attractions in the late 90's? GE did not buy universal until the middle of the last decade. As for a conflict of interest, sony will be connected to disney through many deals. Now if disney produced and sold cameras, it could be.

tl77

Hasn't GE stopped sponsoring disney attractions in the late 90's? GE did not buy universal until the middle of the last decade. As for a conflict of interest, sony will be connected to disney through many deals. Now if disney produced and sold cameras, it could be.

I don't know who sold what to whom back in the 90's, but today there 5 media companies who own the majority of the Film and TV industry, they are Disney, Sony, Fox, Warner Bros, and Viacom. So it just seems unlikely to me that Sony would pay to sponsor a Disney attraction

Since Comast now owns Universal, maybe GE will come back and rebuild Horizions :D

SMS55

Not only that but samsungs prices seem to be always better than comparable sony products.

Someone at Sony got the bright idea during the HD-DVD vs Blu Ray debate that keeping their prices higher would give the impression it was a better machine. I bought a 60" Sharp for my living room which was cheaper than the 50" that's in my bedroom. They don't seem to have a unique product like the use to, they just make different things and offer poor customer service.

flavious27

I don't know who sold what to whom back in the 90's, but today there 5 media companies who own the majority of the Film and TV industry, they are Disney, Sony, Fox, Warner Bros, and Viacom. So it just seems unlikely to me that Sony would pay to sponsor a Disney attraction

Since Comast now owns Universal, maybe GE will come back and rebuild Horizions :D

Sony, through Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (Playstation), is a sponsor of World Wide of Sports Complex.

Also isn't DL's Fantasmic! sponsored by Sony?

TestTrack Dummy

Its been confirmed that the PS4 wont be at this years E3
I definitely agree that sony isnt in shape to be a sponser right know. However they recently appointed Kaz Hirai as CEO so hopefully he can bring the brand back to its former glory.:shrug:

tl77

Sony, through Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (Playstation), is a sponsor of World Wide of Sports Complex.

Also isn't DL's Fantasmic! sponsored by Sony?

Do the Epcot pavilion sponsors have a different kind of contractual arrangement than at the other parks? I know originally the corporate sponsors helped create the pavilions, and that GM would only renew sponsorship in the 90's if Disney would change the pavilion to be more about automobiles, that's why "World of Motion" became "Test Track"

But with "Space Mountain" that was originally sponsored by RCA, then Federal Express, and now it's sponsorless, but in both cases RCA and Fed EX didn't dictate the content of the attraction itself, their sponsorship only amounted to some signage on at the entrance and exit.

At Epcot though, does the situation with the current sponsors (GM, HP, and Siemens) prevent Disney from taking over "Imagination" themselves like they did with the "Living Seas"?

flavious27

Do the Epcot pavilion sponsors have a different kind of contractual arrangement than at the other parks? I know originally the corporate sponsors helped create the pavilions, and that GM would only renew sponsorship in the 90's if Disney would change the pavilion to be more about automobiles, that's why "World of Motion" became "Test Track"

But with "Space Mountain" that was originally sponsored by RCA, then Federal Express, and now it's sponsorless, but in both cases RCA and Fed EX didn't dictate the content of the attraction itself, their sponsorship only amounted to some signage on at the entrance and exit.

At Epcot though, does the situation with the current sponsors (GM, HP, and Siemens) prevent Disney from taking over "Imagination" themselves like they did with the "Living Seas"?

Well whatever the contract state, I am sure there is a disney law person in here that will know.

On wiki, it is stating that ColorVision has taken over the sponsorship of Imagination. It sounds like they could be a good fit.

WOL is where I can see lots of opportunity for sponsorship, and a chance for government funding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom