Could a knockoff Epcot Center be built?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
If someone were to build a model of Epcot Center or something close to it with all the attractions except for characters Spaceship Earth and park and attraction names could Disney sue them?

FettFan

Aren't architectural works from before 1990 under the public domain in the United States (which I assume would be the only derivative work the model would use)?

Well, certain things are free and clear. A geodesic sphere in the same design as SSE would not have that burden, since it’s a geometric figure. You can’t copyright or trademark “triangle”.

Just as long as you don’t actually refer to it as “Spaceship Earth”, you’d be fine.

See: Europa Park in Germany

img_1859.jpg

Sctble

Remember, Disney once threatened to sue three Orlando-area daycare centers for plastering Disney characters all over their walls.
Which I've always found odd, considering there are plenty of other businesses and attractions that use Disney IP with no problem.

Take the Boyett's Citrus Attraction in Florida for instance, which has Disney characters plastered around multiple locations. I'm not familiar with the legalities or if there is any sort of license worked out, but it is strange Disney came down on a daycare and had those removed, but is ok with a random tourist attraction.
1221a.jpg

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

Well, certain things are free and clear. A geodesic sphere in the same design as SSE would not have that burden, since it’s a geometric figure. You can’t copyright or trademark “triangle”.

Just as long as you don’t actually refer to it as “Spaceship Earth”, you’d be fine.

See: Europa Park in Germany

img_1859.jpg

I didn't realize Europa Park seemed so immersive. Always knew it was a world class park, just didn't know to what extent. It opened in 1975, but that Spaceship Earth-looking ride in the picture opened just in 2018 by the looks of it.

Walt Disney1955

Yes you can definitely emulate Epcot. Like has already been mentioned, I don't think names can be copied. But even a shape can look similar. Keep in mind, Walt Disney had to get his inspiration from a park as well for Sleeping Beauty's castle, which he did. There is nothing illegal about it. The question is would it sell? Does a knock off of Epcot make people want to visit Epcot more or is the knock off able to stand on its own? On another side, I always felt the "Scary Movie" franchise just made me want to go and re-watch the scary movies they were spoofing rather than the movie itself.

Or a flip side to it, what about Coke and Pepsi? Coca-Cola predated Pepsi. Yet there are still distinct preferences towards one or the other.

I also see a LOT of rides similar to Dumbo the Flying Elephant. I don't doubt Dumbo was the first one in 1955 in Disneyland to have an elephant in that sort of circular ride, but there are lots of parks across the U.S. that have an elephant you can ride the same way in a carnival like fashion. Dollywood I am pretty sure has one that looks like Dumbo, Darien Lake has a kids' ride where you can ride a turtle, alligator, elephant in the same fashion and I don't doubt other Six Flags parks that I just can't think of right now. So yeah, nothing illegal about that. Look at how similar log rides are to each other.

In regards to Splash Mountain, which first opened in 1989 at Disneyland, there is a ride at Knott's Berry Farm called Timber Mountain from 1969. It is said John Wayne was the first one to ride it. Anyway, lots of animatronics on that ride, has a Disneyesque feel to it. I think the animatronics came after more or less if I recall, but it is still a ride through a mountain on a log.

Lilofan

Remember, Disney once threatened to sue three Orlando-area daycare centers for plastering Disney characters all over their walls.

In the Celebration hospital near WDW, in the ER and in other places of the hospital there are Disney stuff plastered in many areas on the walls.

Robbiem

Anyone could build an epcot like park with similar attraction, heck epcot itself was based on world’s fair / expo type events and a lot of world showcase copies specific places from around the world. What you couldn’t do was use Disney specific elements so no characters or attraction names etc. For example you could have an aquarium themed to a research lab but couldn’t use nemo or call it sea base alpha.

I’ve not seen copies of EPCOT but google nara dreamland if you want to see what a copy of Disneyland looks like

The Pho

I didn't realize Europa Park seemed so immersive. Always knew it was a world class park, just didn't know to what extent. It opened in 1975, but that Spaceship Earth-looking ride in the picture opened just in 2018 by the looks of it.
Eurosat opened in 1989, it was redone as Eurosat CanCan Coaster in 2018.

JoeCamel

In the Celebration hospital near WDW, in the ER and in other places of the hospital there are Disney stuff plastered in many areas on the walls.
I think Disney is a major contributor to that hospital so it probably has their blessing

lazyboy97o

Disney’s characters are not just protected by copyright but are also trademarked. Part of being able to maintain a trademark is defending it. Views regarding how aggressively this must be done have changed somewhat in recent years due to situations like this that create negative public perception.
AdventHealth Celebration was built by Disney as part of Celebration. Disney sponsors AdventHealth and Orlando Health. AdventHealth for Children’s main facility in Orlando is the Walt Disney Pavilion (written on the building in an imitation of the old Walt Disney World logo). Mickey Mouse attended the opening of Orlando Health’s Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and the old lobby still has Disney provided elements. Disney is currently in the process of “Disneyfying” a number of children’s hospitals across the country.

Brer Panther

Which I've always found odd, considering there are plenty of other businesses and attractions that use Disney IP with no problem.

Take the Boyett's Citrus Attraction in Florida for instance, which has Disney characters plastered around multiple locations. I'm not familiar with the legalities or if there is any sort of license worked out, but it is strange Disney came down on a daycare and had those removed, but is ok with a random tourist attraction.
View attachment 521690
Maybe Disney just doesn't know about that place yet?
I also see a LOT of rides similar to Dumbo the Flying Elephant. I don't doubt Dumbo was the first one in 1955 in Disneyland to have an elephant in that sort of circular ride, but there are lots of parks across the U.S. that have an elephant you can ride the same way in a carnival like fashion. Dollywood I am pretty sure has one that looks like Dumbo, Darien Lake has a kids' ride where you can ride a turtle, alligator, elephant in the same fashion and I don't doubt other Six Flags parks that I just can't think of right now. So yeah, nothing illegal about that. Look at how similar log rides are to each other.
Yeah, there are a LOT of Dumbo clones out there. And the funny thing is, most of them look exactly alike. For example, here's the Dumbo clone at Jenkinson's' Boardwalk (I went there a lot when I was younger):
1609688918460.png

Here's another Dumbo clone at a park called Lion Country Safari. Looks very similar, except there's a dragon:
1609688980984.png

Next, let's take a look at the Dumbo clone at Dollywood:
1609689031885.png

While it doesn't look like the previous two Dumbo clones, it does bear a striking resemblance to the Dumbo clone at Silver Dollar City:
1609689114499.png

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I built this in my backyard during Quarantine - and the Disney lawyers haven't found me yet!

But then, I'm having a hard time getting the Ants to pay admission.

View attachment 521707
That’s awesome, I have a mini fountain of Nations, it’s the size of one Imagination leaping fountain and shoots about 8 feet high. Goes off by itself every day 12-9:45 every 15 minutes. I can be at WDW for a month and it will operate on its own at the same schedule and every fountain head works 😆😆😆😆

Miru

There actually is a knockoff Epcot Center, it's at Walt Disney World where Epcot Center used to be, wakka wakka
It’s been there since at least 2005, really. They slowly built it on top of the original starting in 1998...

On a serious note, this could be an imagineering project; we could use an upside down pyramid instead of a geodesic sphere, for one, and pad out the land with other extinct attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom