Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
UPDATE 7/27/2021:

UPDATE 7/11/2021: Come on, folks. Get it together.

UPDATE 6/22/2021: Well, onward and upward?

UPDATE 6/15/2021: Things are looking up! Phew, quite the year and a half, huh?

For starters, I'm a hypochondriac who lives and works in NYC. Already, we're off to a good start (and I fit the stereotype). Even with every precaution, even with assurances in print that there are no confirmed cases in the city, I'm getting a little worse for wear with each passing day. This is also crimping my desire to travel. Especially to metropolitan areas (which strike me as obviously a little more prone to spreading the virus). And if I had a trip coming up for Disney, I wonder if I'd think twice. In NYC alone, Chinatown is suffering, taxis aren't picking up asian passengers/passengers aren't stepping into taxis with asian drivers, restaurants are beginning to struggle, tourism is suffering due to the lack of international visitors.

Life is a roll of the dice. Anything can happen. Violence, accidents, transportation mishaps. But I'm wondering when (not if) the coronavirus is going to hit to the point that it affects travel and, more specifically, WDW. Does Disney have plans in place beyond limiting hours and laying off performers?

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
^^^^^
BEFORE YOU QUOTE THIS POST PLEASE NOTE THE ORIGINAL DATE THIS POST WAS MADE.

There's not much Disney can really do to prepare.
Many more people get the flu each year and go into the parks infected whether they know it or not and in turn infect others and the flu is pretty deadly.
Also the key population of who has passed away from the virus is older men who already had pre existing conditions particularly respiratory conditions usually from smoking.
Did you avoid Disney during SARS or H1N1 or Zika or Ebola....? If so then avoid Disney now. If not then don't avoid Disney.
Use common sense and wash your hands etc.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Whenever you get that many people together from that many different places, there's sure to be some sicknesses spread. I've heard "Disney crud" mentioned on the forums quite a bit, and a lot of trip reports end up in mystery sicknesses.

I don't consider the Coronavirus a big threat in this case, but I do typically go to Disney with the expectation we'll get sick. We haven't, yet, but there's just no way to avoid other people's germs there. Last time I was in line for the Haunted Mansion some lady turned her head so she wouldn't cough on her kid she was holding and literally coughed right in my face.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I'm usually not one of these "an eye for an eye" type of people, but this circumstance in particular would make it very tempting to return the favor.

I was holding my kid too, and honestly I'd rather have gotten the hit than her take it. So there's a bright side there. And I didn't end up getting sick, so that was good too. It was just a really good reminder that no matter how many precautions you take, Disney is crowded and you'll certainly be exposed to germs that are not yours while you're there.

John park hopper

There seems to be a lot of unknown with this virus just read another study found it can survive 9 days on surfaces and temps up to 86 degrees. Touch surfaces with it and it can be transferred to mouth and eyes people cough and the virus is airborne. I haven't read what the infection dose is probably haven't determined that yet

unmitigated disaster

I'm usually not one of these "an eye for an eye" type of people, but this circumstance in particular would make it very tempting to return the favor.
I was checking out a doctor who was here for a physician's seminar and she coughed right in my face. I could feel the cough. She didn't even try to avoid me. She was all "sorry" in that 'I have to say I'm sorry but I don't actually care ' voice.

In any case, worry more about the flu. And get vaccinated.

Incomudro

For starters, I'm a hypochondriac who lives and works in NYC. Already, we're off to a good start (and I fit the stereotype). Even with every precaution, even with assurances in print that there are no confirmed cases in the city, I'm getting a little worse for wear with each passing day. This is also crimping my desire to travel. Especially to metropolitan areas (which strike me as obviously a little more prone to spreading the virus). And if I had a trip coming up for Disney, I wonder if I'd think twice. In NYC alone, Chinatown is suffering, taxis aren't picking up asian passengers/passengers aren't stepping into taxis with asian drivers, restaurants are beginning to struggle, tourism is suffering due to the lack of international visitors.

Life is a roll of the dice. Anything can happen. Violence, accidents, transportation mishaps. But I'm wondering when (not if) the coronavirus is going to hit to the point that it affects travel and, more specifically, WDW. Does Disney have plans in place beyond limiting hours and laying off performers?

How can a hypochondriac possibly live in NYC?

wannabeBelle

Parker, I live in NYC As well so I get where you are coming from. As others have said, wash your hands lot and keep yourself generally healthy. Airborne, Emergen - C or doses of vitamin C to boost immunity arent a bad idea either. That having been done, I wouldn't be concerned about traveling at this point n time. Marie

Benjamin_Nicholas

Parker, I live in NYC As well so I get where you are coming from. As others have said, wash your hands lot and keep yourself generally healthy. Airborne, Emergen - C or doses of vitamin C to boost immunity arent a bad idea either. That having been done, I wouldn't be concerned about traveling at this point n time. Marie

Airborne and large doses of C (Emergen-C) have both been found NOT to boost immune systems or prevent sickness.

JIMINYCR

In the past, whenever theres been an outbreak of various virus's or illnesses reported, WDW sites are asked what to do and should trips be cancelled. Over the years theres never been a huge outbreak of anything in the parks or mass illnesses that caused concerns. More people have died from the flu (over 10,000 reported this year so far) which far exceeds caronavirus deaths. i'd just take normal winter flu precautions and not overthink tne possibility that youre going to catch something.

Simba’s Mom

In NYC alone, Chinatown is suffering, taxis aren't picking up asian passengers/passengers aren't stepping into taxis with asian drivers, restaurants are beginning to struggle, tourism is suffering due to the lack of international visitors.

OMG, although I have no response regarding WDW, I didn't think of Chinatown. DS also lives and works in NYC, and has often performed in Chinatown (musician). And previously, he was a music manager for Princess Cruise Lines, home of a corona virus-quaranteened ship (although he didn't ever get assigned to the Diamond Princess). Seems that this virus has impacts further than I'd thought of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom