Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaughingGravy

I will agree with you that if you KNOW you have COVID and don't isolate and take all other recommended precautions then you should be held criminally liable just like your HIV example. With HIV, if somebody is positive but doesn't know it then they aren't criminally liable. Same should go for COVID.
I can see it now.
Did you know you had covid?.........."I don't recall."

Well. they said "I don't recall" under oath, so they can't be held criminally liable, your honor.

[EDIT] Unless there's a legitimate medical reason and there is a vaxxine approved for one's age,, there no excuse to not get vaxxed.
Places are finally starting to make it difficult for the voluntarily unvaxxed, as they should.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

As I have stated many times before those people need to take extra precautions (such as wearing an N95 respirator in public at all times) to protect themselves.
Nope, it’s time to flip that and put the burden on the unvaccinated.

You are afraid of a needle? Cool. You choose to drop out of society.

“Those people” who are immune compromised can resume normal life.

LaughingGravy

Except the prosection can then enter the positive test result into evidence and have the person testify that gave you the result that they told you (no, that's not hearsay).
There are a lot of people who have it, muddle through it, and don't get tested at all.
There are also lot of people working from home for companies where there is no requirement to vaccinate ( WFH so no need to submit anything), or where they are only required to "attest to having no symptoms" via an online form and then do a cursory temperature screen only upon needing to show up on site at the company. There's no test.

I'm glad some places are making the vaccination a requirement to be on site, or if not the vax, at least a recent test, like being tested 2x per week, and then as this goes on, start to charge them for the choice to be tested, unless there is a medical reason for an exemption.
If there is a medical reason, they should be required to show it.

There are those who have made the " two classes of society" or "slippery slope" argument.

This is a pandemic that kills people pretty quickly and especially now with the Delta and who knows what other variants, doesn't discriminate based on age or other factors. There needs to be some discriminating in order to save others.
If it "magically disappears" and the numbers go down a lot, we'll know it. Then, we'll go back to normal. Until then, this is stupid and embarrassing that we are in this situation as the first world country with the best vaccines readily available.

Last edited:

Polkadotdress

High risks folks really should be locked down and keeping themselves safe.
Sorry, no. That is not sustainable indefinitely. Those that are causing the risk need to be removed from public situations...ie, locked down to prevent further spread.

The burden of the ongoing pandemic should not rest on the shoulders of those who have "done their part" to try and stop it.

DisneyCane

Nope, it’s time to flip that and put the burden on the unvaccinated.

You are afraid of a needle? Cool. You choose to drop out of society.

“Those people” who are immune compromised can resume normal life.
Except, if the vaccines don't prevent spread to a highly significant degree, which is what the CDC said as justification for the vaccinated wearing masks, then the immunocompromised can't resume normal life even if everybody is vaccinated.

draybook

Perhaps the goal is to cull the herd, so to speak. Get rid of undesirables from positions they have no intention of re-filling.

I can only speak for my workplace but we're so strapped for people it's ridiculous. I can't say my employers name but we handle business for Dexcom(diabetes) and we regularly have shipments that are worth more than 3-4 million dollars. We're having errors to the point that it's at the VP level in Dexcom hierarchy and there's talk about the contract being cut if it continues.

Right now we have about 10 regular hourly associates between the two shifts. That number used to be closer to 30. Add in increased work load and working Saturdays and it's a recipe for disaster. Our director is a total tool to boot. The people we're getting in the door aren't the highest quality and either our director or corporate don't want to match our competitors on wages so the few good people we get leave shortly.

Heppenheimer

Except, if the vaccines don't prevent spread to a highly significant degree, which is what the CDC said as justification for the vaccinated wearing masks, then the immunocompromised can't resume normal life even if everybody is vaccinated.
They do reduce the duration of spread and viral load (in some people), though, and in the Vegas numbers game that is a pandemic, every percentage advantage we can claw back from the house is a good thing. Start excluding those who continue to volunteer to be mega-spreaders, despite all the advantages in the world they have been offered not to.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current vaccination status for Orange County via Mayor Demings -

E-DFxADXsAgMMwV.jpg

The 14-day rolling positivity rate is 17.86%.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Dr. Pino notes there have been 34 deaths in Orange County reported to the state since Thursday. The age range was 23-95. 27 had known underlying conditions. He did not mention if any were vaccinated.

So far in August, there have been 107 deaths reported. In July, that number was 58 and in June, that number was 31.

Dr. Pino also gave case numbers for the weekend -

Friday - 1207
Saturday - 1057
Sunday - 823

He noted that of the cases on Sunday, 19% were from the 5-14 age group.

Last edited:

LaughingGravy

Eventually, they will, but not until this is over.
When the numbers go down enough, that's when this will be over. Thanks to so many not wearing masks and those being unnecessarily antivax ( meaning no real medical issue, just "beliefs in freedom"), whether or not those are the same people, this will now take even longer.
As the numbers go up for the unvaccinated being hospitalized and/or dying, more than likely so do the numbers of the people they encountered before they got to that state.
It will take a while, and it's going to suck for the immunocompromised. I know someone who had a major organ transplant recently. They are clearly immunocompromised and need to quarantine for 6 months. It sucks. But thanks to so many, this is where we are with the reality of how long this is going to take to get over.
We could have done really well in starting May, when vaccines were starting to become plentiful and easier to get.

There are going to be a lot of stupid people dead based on their "beliefs". For those people, I'm OK with that. As always, I'm sorry for the victims of their stupidity.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I am starting to think that the only way out of this is just for every state to mandate vaccinations for all. This is a bitter pill for me to swallow because I have been firmly against such actions. But if this type of mandate does come from a government agency, I prefer it comes from the states. Never mind messing around with mask mandates. If you're gonna do mandates at this point, go for the kill.

LaughingGravy

Dr. Pino notes there have been 34 deaths in Orange County reported to the state since Thursday. The age range was 23-95. 27 had known underlying conditions. He did not mention if any were vaccinated.

So far in August, there have been 107 deaths reported. In July, that number was 58 and in June, that number was 31.

Dr. Pino also gave case numbers for the weekend -

Friday - 1207
Saturday - 1057
Sunday - 823

He noted that of the cases on Sunday, 19% were from the 5-14 age group.
Always remember with the case numbers, those are only those a) have tested, and b) have been reported. Two factors needed.
There are likely many with no symptoms who don't get tested. I went out to a restaurant. Our entire party was vaxxed and we didn't wear masks once seated. The waitress didn't wear a mask, but we didn't ask her if she was vaccinated. I may have it from her with no symptoms, as she was within 2 feet of me when she was asking which option I wanted with my meal, and again when she refilled my coffee ( gotta love NJ diners).
I'm not getting tested.

Angel Ariel

As I have stated many times before those people need to take extra precautions (such as wearing an N95 respirator in public at all times) to protect themselves.

On my hospital idea, if somebody has a legitimate, medical reason that they can't be vaccinated or are not eligible for vaccination then they should obviously be treated.
Intended or not, there is ableism in this...I am thinking of high risk children who have difficulties wearing cloth masks, much less N95s. AS the studies have shown (and I believe I posted earlier in this thread), people with autism/ID/DD are at significantly higher risk of death if they contract Covid, and yet they are also populations that have a significantly harder time with masking for various reasons (including sensory processing disorders, etc).

It is not feasible - or healthy in numerous ways - for the main answer to be "well, they just need to fully isolate then."

Touchdown

Hey, remember last year's self-soothing lie that...

all viral infections become less deadly over time, so, we have nothing to worry about!!

Ah, simple times.
That’s still true, eventually. Also if you check out deltas mortality around the world, you’ll notice it’s decreased (but of course vaccinations helped that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom