Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

I agree with all of this, but the Governor making a statement about banning Covid restrictions will make the CM‘s job that much harder. People will drive and refuse to comply and use the statement from the Governor as the reason. It doesn’t matter that legally Disney has every right to set their own rules. In the end Disney can still boot these people out but the Governor‘s actions only fan the flames of conflict....but maybe that’s the plan from a political playbook. Sad.
Disney can pop up all kinds of rule warnings in MDE. Also, have a ton of signage at the entrances about the rules and zero tolerance. I know it won't eliminate all issues but it should help with most people.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I asked our pediatrician about toddlers. She expects them to have vaccines for them by fall/early winter. While I had no qualms having my 17 year old stepdaughter vaccinated, I’m a little leers about the 3 year old and baby. But I’d much rather that, than the long term possible consequences of covid. And I’ll trust my doctor. I don’t understand those who don’t listen to their doctors, if you don’t trust them to advise you about vaccine, find a new doctor. It’s almost as if people have lost the ability to recognize that others have expertise they don’t...

Your infant/toddler is more likely to have serious adverse health effects from COVID than the vaccine. The long term effects from COVID are clearly documented, even in children. There is no long term adverse health effects from the vaccine except for the J&J one; and even then, your child has a much, much higher chance of a blood clot from getting COVID than from the vaccine.

Doing nothing is the much higher risk than getting vaccinated at any age (except newborn).

And how do I know that before the vaccines are available to younger children? Because the vaccine wouldn't be approved for them unless the trials showed that the vaccine is less a risk than getting COVID.

LaughingGravy

NJ is reportedly opening up pretty much 100% on May 19th, with "social distancing indoors and masks still required", even though capacity limits at restaurants will not be restricted. Yeah, those two things will live in perfect harmony.

I'm still staying hunkered down unless I am with those fully immunized. I'll walk outside without a mask off my property, but still stay a decent distance from people and keep good habits.
I think the governors of NY, NJ and CT are at a point where since vaccine demand is low enough that walk-ins are now welcomed at most if not all the mega sites in the state and if even after that people are still voluntarily not getting vaccinated, there is nothing else to be done. I think the only things left are that employers may start to require it and to get the FDA to sign off on the Emergency Use Authorization and just get at least the Moderna and Pfizer ones approved. What else might they be waiting for? A larger sample?

Last edited:

Tom P.

Your infant/toddler is more likely to have serious adverse health effects from COVID than the vaccine. The long term effects from COVID are clearly documented, even in children. There is no long term adverse health effects from the vaccine except for the J&J one; and even then, your child has a much, much higher chance of a blood clot from getting COVID than from the vaccine.

Doing nothing is the much higher risk than getting vaccinated at any age (except newborn).

And how do I know that before the vaccines are available to younger children? Because the vaccine wouldn't be approved for them unless the trials showed that the vaccine is less a risk than getting COVID.
To be fair, while your statements are likely true, the trials are not complete for younger children, so we cannot yet definitely say that the vaccines are safe and effective for young children.

Nubs70

We don’t need those people. It would be nice if they changed their mind, but they most likely won’t. If we are at 30-40% of adults currently uninterested and 20% of those people are in the camp you describe so be it. It’s the other 10-20% that we need to focus on. That means the difference between 60% and 80% vaccinated. We won’t get them all but any percent over half gets us over 70% vaccinated. I’m convinced that we can still get the national average of eligible people vaccinated over 70% and maybe even to 75%. The apathetic and cautious groups can be reached and convinced to come in. Carrots for the apathetic and education for the cautious. The people hell bent of resisting and driven by politics won’t be convinced and we shouldn’t waste our time trying. Actually we should just ignore them completely. They enjoy the attention given to them by people pushing the vaccine.
We just need to get rid of those undesirables. Reduce the denominator, that will get the vaccinated percentage up.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To be fair, while your statements are likely true, the trials are not complete for younger children, so we cannot yet definitely say that the vaccines are safe and effective for young children.
And that is why I said this:

And how do I know that before the vaccines are available to younger children? Because the vaccine wouldn't be approved for them unless the trials showed that the vaccine is less a risk than getting COVID.​

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think people who resist the vaccine will be convinced by arguments that we could open the economy sooner, or drop masks, because they already think we should be doing all that. And they are doing it already. Whether there are vaccines, variants, etc., is all irrelevant. Just go back to normal life now.

I'm also skeptical that arguments about the common good will make much difference. I remember ages ago when I was trying to convince someone to buy phosphate-free detergent and she just said, "I don't think my few little boxes of detergent will make much difference." Which of course is technically true, but the (basically insurmountable) problem is that we needed each person to make a small sacrifice (slightly dirtier dishes) for a big payoff (lakes that are not dead -- better for tourism $$ as well as the environment).

These types of individual decisions are especially hard because the result is so abstract. I can see my dishes coming out less clean, but I can't see a tiny bit less algae in Lake Erie. Even if someone indirectly causes a death by spreading the virus, they only contributed in an abstract way; it's not like they picked up an axe and whacked someone.

I've said this before and I still believe it. This virus was practically perfect for dividing us and causing conflict and suffering. As if we needed more help doing that. It's so depressing.
I agree with this.

I do think that there is still a large number of people who aren’t vaccinated but are also not actively resisting it. These are the people we can get if we make getting the vaccine really easy (which we have) and we convince them there is a benefit for them personally. It may still take some time and I’m as impatient as the next person but some people are going to get the vaccine still on their time. Best we can do is hope to encourage them to go sooner than later. For the resistors, just ignore them and move on. You can’t and won’t change their mind and fighting with them is exactly what they want.

Patcheslee

It would be interesting to compare this map to actual vaccine uptake. I know Vermont data the best, and despite the dark purple state-wide for vaccine acceptance, there's about a 20 point percentage gap currently between the counties with the highest and lowest vaccine numbers. Although part of that may be due to access.

Missouri also seems to be darker than most of its neighbors. Wonder what's happening there and if the actual vaccine percentages mirror this?

And Mississippi... sigh, once again being Mississippi. I believe the saying in those parts is "Bless your heart".
I'm kinda questioning it cause Indiana looks a bit off. Past 2 days we've plateaued on 1st and 2nd shots. The percentage hasn't even changed.

Heppenheimer

NJ is reportedly opening up pretty much 100% on May 19th, with "social distancing indoors and masks still required", even though capacity limits at restaurants will not be restricted. Yeah, those two things will live in perfect harmony.

I'm still staying hunkered down unless I am with those fully immunized. I'll walk outside without a mask off my property, but still stay a decent distance from people and keep good habits.
I think the governors of NY, NJ and CT are at a point where since vaccine demand is low enough that walk-ins are now welcomed most if not all the mega sites in the state and if even after that people are still voluntarily not getting vaccinated, there is nothing else to be done. I think the only things left are that employers may start to require it and to get the FDA to sign off on the Emergency Use Authorization and just get at least the Moderna and Pfizer ones approved. What else might they be waiting for? A larger sample?
The only piece we're missing for formal approval is evidence that the vaccine-induced immunity lasts a certain duration. I don't claim to know the standard, but we haven't reached that point in time yet.

The vaccines have already passed the safety and short-term efficacy requirements.

At this point, though, I don't even think formal approval will change too many minds, unfortunately.

hopemax

So, in a general population where all the "easier" infections are disappearing, the variants that are better at infecting and spreading through younger people than the original strain are out competing the original strain?

Thus, changing everything we know about how the virus and younger people interact. Is this a surprise to anyone?

As long as there large community spread, this will continue to happen. The variants that are able to out compete the prior strains in whatever population is left to infect are in a race to replicate vs how fast that remaining population shrinks.
Thread today from Trevor Bedford, referencing one from last we. We should change our reference from thinking of this as one large pandemic; the variants make it several smaller, overlapping ones. Also, P1 is in the US, and where it has a foothold, prevalence gains are steeper than the other variants, so we need to watch for dominance, and immunity/vaccine evasion potential. The states to watch are IL and WA.

Creathir

They won’t take the vaccine because it would be admitting they were wrong and Covid is a real threat.
While there certainly are people like that, there are a large number of people that just do not trust the vaccines yet either.

You’re talking about an mRNA vaccine which has NEVER been successful before, being distributed worldwide.

Some are rightfully being cautious than just jumping feet first into the world of medical guinea pigs.

That doesn’t make someone against all vaccines, and it doesn’t make them pompous and trying to save face. Remember, this is a personal medical decision, a choice purely to be made on a personal basis.

Stevek

Good job guys! Your flex for “mah freedom” really is going to pay off.
Yep, wouldn't surprise me if it becomes very much like the flu where folks choose or choose not to get a yearly vaccine.

Angel Ariel

It's because of how the clinical trial was designed; with the 5-11 cohort phased in first before younger groups.
"For the first phase of the trial, the companies will identify the preferred dosing level for three age groups – between 6 months and 2 years old, 2 and 5, and from ages 5 through 11. The doses will be evaluated in children ages 5 through 11 first before researchers move on to the other age groups, they said.​
Because the companies are evaluating the older age group first, it’s possible data on kids under age 5 could come “a bit later,” Tureci told CNBC​

So Pfizer-BioNTech can request emergency use authorization from the FDA for that 5-11 age group when the data is available (end of summer).
And in practice, the FDA will fast-track that evaluation, per CNN, referring to the 12-15 request.
The FDA probably won't ask its Covid-19 vaccine advisory committee to weigh in on the request, the acting chairman of that committee said earlier. "They're not going to have advisories every time they tweak things," Dr. Arnold Monto said.​

The FDA issues a revision to the existing Emergency Use Authorization.
Thanks! I will continue to pray that happens - that would be wholly amazing for our family

ImperfectPixie

Hopefully besides WDW that other states will remove masks and social distancing by a couple months soon.
Also
By mid-late summer or fall, as movie theaters will be safe without masks and social distancing for good as new movies will be releasing first time with as full capacity with no masks and social distancing.
Also:
Sonic's 30th anniversary celebration will delayed into 2022, due to COVID-19 pandemic in Japan, by next year as new Sonic games, new Sonic sequel movie, new Sonic TV show, etc too.
My sons both LOVE Sonic. :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So the bodies never actually started to pile up in the streets as some predicted?

actually...we made a pretty good pile...
And the tallies/recounts were 100% accurate and the Taj was still closed 😉

Attachments

• 8FA79A0F-A5D8-43F5-BA38-A6D24F4F81A4.png
    8FA79A0F-A5D8-43F5-BA38-A6D24F4F81A4.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 47

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While there certainly are people like that, there are a large number of people that just do not trust the vaccines yet either.

You’re talking about an mRNA vaccine which has NEVER been successful before, being distributed worldwide.

Some are rightfully being cautious than just jumping feet first into the world of medical guinea pigs.

That doesn’t make someone against all vaccines, and it doesn’t make them pompous and trying to save face. Remember, this is a personal medical decision, a choice purely to be made on a personal basis.
You clipped one sentence from my post. I said that I believe there are still a large number of people who are either apathetic or cautious too. Those people can be reached. If you are uncertain about the safety of the vaccine and you have done your own research and then talked to your primary care doctor or another professional and then concluded that you don‘t believe the vaccine is safe then so be it. If you listen to a bunch of political talking heads and people on social media and never speak to a doctor or someone with real expertise about your concerns then you aren’t being genuine. You are just parroting stuff being pushed by people with a political agenda to divide and using the safety argument as an excuse.

seabreezept813

O I agree, which is why my stepdaughter got hers right away and my kiddos will too. I just think there is more natural hesitancy to give something that is emergency use approved and new to someone so young. My baby will be 6 months in September so she’ll be at the young end of the age spectrum when it’s approved. She was born in March where I was still advised not to vaccinate while pregnant because of limited data. Within a few weeks of her birth, more info was out that vaccines were looking safe for pregnant women. So had that data been available earlier I would have been vaccinated one to two weeks earlier than I did, instead I got mine 3 days after giving birth.. I just think it will be super important to have the information available to show safety for kids who are so young even more so than what they are doing now to sell it for adults, which isn’t enough anyway in my opinion.

TrainsOfDisney

But both do have risks. The vaccines are not fully FDA approved yet. That gives me some hesitation. I also don’t want to get covid and I want to help get the world back to a new normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom