Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

To get an idea of the reporting lag (which I hope explains most of the overdue number), the total receiving first dose went from 702,681 on yesterday's report to 769,765 on today's report (+67,084) while it shows only 35,312 first doses given yesterday. There seems to be a large backfill of data each day.

Edit, according to CDC numbers 776,430 have received first dose and 74,776 have received 2nd dose. Strangely they have a higher number for first dose and lower for 2nd dose. I don't know how the reporting works. Does whoever administers the vaccine submit to both simultaneously or just to one which reports to the other?

Last edited:

oceanbreeze77

Vaccine doesn't mean you won't catch it, i.e. test positive. It means you should have something to fight it off and are more likely to be asymptomatic/light symptoms.

That hasn’t been proven yet.

Edit- Just saw DisneyCane responded to your post the same thing.
I have heard the same as Tony the Tigger. 95% was the number based on people NOT getting SERIOUS covid. People still got covid, but the vaccine is 95% effective in preventing SERIOUS covid.

correcaminos

I have heard the same as Tony the Tigger. 95% was the number based on people NOT getting SERIOUS covid. People still got covid, but the vaccine is 95% effective in preventing SERIOUS covid.
No the 95% is no covid symptoms. In the Moderna it did stave off serious symptoms for all in the trial IIRC. But below is a quote:
The investigational vaccine known as mRNA-1273 was 94.1% efficacious in preventing symptomatic coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...wed-report-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-publishes

DisneyCane

I have no more words to express my anger.
Anger at who? Pfizer and Moderna for too slow production? The Federal Government is distributing whatever they get. They had always put the expectation in terms of doses and had the goal of 20 million by 12/31 which was missed by a few days. They are now over 31 million distributed, less than half of which have been used. There was never planned to be enough Pfizer+Moderna for the whole population.

Wasn't the plan 300 million doses (a portion of which would be single dose Johnson & Johnson) by May? Maybe @GoofGoof knows?

oceanbreeze77

Anger at who? Pfizer and Moderna for too slow production? The Federal Government is distributing whatever they get. They had always put the expectation in terms of doses and had the goal of 20 million by 12/31 which was missed by a few days. They are now over 31 million distributed, less than half of which have been used. There was never planned to be enough Pfizer+Moderna for the whole population.

Wasn't the plan 300 million doses (a portion of which would be single dose Johnson & Johnson) by May? Maybe @GoofGoof knows?
the federal government LIED TO US. They told states they would be getting THOUSANDS of new doses. The states responded appropriately. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT LIED TO US ABOUT GETTING MORE DOSES.

DisneyCane

the federal government LIED TO US. They told states they would be getting THOUSANDS of new doses. The states responded appropriately. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT LIED TO US ABOUT GETTING MORE DOSES.
This article was posted this morning. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...us-vaccine-distribution-is-working-perfectly/

Moncef Slaoui addresses the issue somewhat and also says (I assume the interview was from yesterday) that by June they are expecting 200 million doses each from Pfizer and Moderna. That would be enough to vaccinate 200 million people with two doses by June. 100 million more are expected from Johnson & Johnson.

Contingent on getting the shots in the arms and no production or approval snags, it is possible to have the entire adult population vaccinated by the summer.

Disney Experience

I wonder if they will push this vaccine for children who are already less likely to get covid seriously and because of not having the mrna factor. Infants and kids of all ages are encouraged to get the flu shot, so I could see this being likely.
Astrazeneca and JnJ is using a modified cold virus, this is a relatively new technique ( but not novel as is the mrna vaccines). I believe the technique was used for Ebola vaccine, not sure how large of phase 3 and phase 4.

Hopefully JnJ will start a phase 3 for children soon or when they get EUA

Last edited:

JoeCamel

This article was posted this morning. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...us-vaccine-distribution-is-working-perfectly/

Moncef Slaoui addresses the issue somewhat and also says (I assume the interview was from yesterday) that by June they are expecting 200 million doses each from Pfizer and Moderna. That would be enough to vaccinate 200 million people with two doses by June. 100 million more are expected from Johnson & Johnson.

Contingent on getting the shots in the arms and no production or approval snags, it is possible to have the entire adult population vaccinated by the summer.
I think that is wildly optimistic and given the past performance it might be construed as a bald faced lie on their part.

Disney Experience

Last I saw is Moderna can’t fill their 12-17 trial. Looking for 3,000 participants and have less than 1,000 signed up. I believe Pfizer is full now for 12-15 year olds and expecting results in a few months. They plan to start trials on younger kids in the Spring. Hopefully that means March and not May. The overall goal is to have at least middle and high school age kids done before the next school year. I hope they can also get elementary school kids done too. I would sign my kids up for the trials, but the closest Moderna site is Syracuse which is really far and really cold this time of year. If they opened a site in Philly my 13 year old said he’d sign up...he found out you get paid ;):greedy::greedy::greedy:
Lol, I can relate to the situation with your teenager. When I got my first shot of Pfizer my wife waited in the lobby for hours. We started the 90 minute drive home, I said she should think about volunteering for the trials. She looked at me and said, “I would if they paid me.”. I told her they do , between 1-2 thousand dollars over the trial period. She volunteered and got COVE trial(Moderna). She is also very happy to be a small part of the solution to the pandemic.

Last edited:

hopemax

As upsetting as this is, I was already expecting this year to be a write off in things returning to normal.
Still cheesed about the amount of crap about "negativity," I got in December for saying we would be dealing with COVID and masks at WDW through all of 2021. I'm glad more people are coming to realize that this is going to take longer than any of us want, but would have liked to skip the "ruining other people's day," accusations.

And it's going to take longer if people can't see the need for other precautions like continued testing and contract tracing to put out spot fires before they turn into full blown events in areas with less vaccine uptake. Herd immunity is not some dome that gets dropped over a community with a virus on the outside bouncing off the shield. We contract trace other IDs like measles even though we have immunity.

I have no idea why after all this time, a thing jumped into my mind. But in middle school we had an assembly, and there was like an outside group doing some thing. I have no reason what the actual purpose was. One of the things I remember them asking was for all of us to line up by our birth date to demonstrate some statistical thing. But the other bit I remember, I realize now is actually a good example of disease transmission and herd immunity. What I remember is that they brought out several buckets of ping pong balls and set a timer. We were supposed to wander around the floor randomly. The goal was to find a person without a ping pong ball, you give them the bucket, you take a ping pong ball. Do that for a couple minutes and then there was talk about how and where the balls ended up. They may have even been marked with a number to differentiate which bucket they had come from. Then do it again, with fresh buckets of balls but a different color. Same thing, find someone without a ball (color didn't matter) give them the bucket. Then reviewed the distribution, and some parts of the gym had very few colored balls (they had gotten plain balls in round 1) and other areas had clusters.

Some seem to be willing to sacrifice the people who live in areas with lower vaccine uptake to their fate, but we also know that some percentage of vaccines will not take. And with the laws of very large numbers that will be a lot of people who did everything right, including getting the vaccine. So they should be thrown to the wolves as well? We need to get the virus circulation levels way, way down and tracing allows that to happen more effectively than letting nature takes its course.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
same, but I was expecting the vaccines to at least be somewhat on pace. This completely knocks us off the right path. If this is not fixed, and production isn't picked up, we could be pushed farther into 2022. Before the "you just want to be locked down foreverrr" people come at me....this is REALLY BAD. Really bad.

There is No federal reserve. Get that in your head.
NO. FEDERAL. RESERVE.

Keep in mind, these were the 2nd doses.

... and if we miss second doses on people then at some point they may need to be getting both doses again which will actually take us backwards on the number of people vaccinated.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 186 new reported deaths, along with 2 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 2.53.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 2.53.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 2.53.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 2.53.15 PM.png

Chip Chipperson

... and if we miss second doses on people then at some point they may need to be getting both doses again which will actually take us backwards on the number of people vaccinated.

According to my county's Health Department, the Moderna vaccine doesn't require restarting the cycle if you are delayed in getting the 2nd shot. They are sending e-mails the morning after the first shot to schedule the 2nd shot and are saying the 2nd shot will be anywhere between 28 and 40 days after the first dose. I don't know if that's also the case for the Pfizer vaccine, though.

Kevin_W

So...345K shots given in the past 7 days. And, yes, there will be additional numbers coming due to the lag. But, this pace is not one that’s sustainable for gaining herd immunity quickly with the greater good.

To mirror some of what DisneyCane was saying earlier, though. In my state, over half the hospitalizations and 90% of the deaths have been for ages 65+, though they make up ~17% of the state population.

If we get those people vaccinated (and even at the current pace, that would take under 3 weeks) we will take a lot of burden off hospitals and the healthcare system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom