Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have a good friend who tested positive for Covid and after two weeks of staying home, her symptoms were mild fever and headache. Nothing else. She's fine now.

That's not to take anything away from the guy you posted, but that is most definitely an extreme case and there could very well be underlying/pre-existing conditions not disclosed. Not everybody who gets Covid suffers what he did.
My point is to point out the indisputable fact that organisms aren’t all that predictable.

So that means not everyone probably wants a spin of the wheel.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
He is right. They are flat. But at very high positivity rates. Thats not good.
People continue to find a way to spin any positive news into something negative. What's the survival rate at? And ya, I know, there's probly a graph that redirects people to focus on "positive rates" or "hospitalizations" instead of looking at how many people survive.

LSLS

They were added to the death toll list today, so yes, they are new deaths to count.

The point he's making is somewhat valid. It doesn't matter when you are talking cumulative, but when you are tracking trends, those numbers being counted not on the day of death can matter.

That said, I'm not sure what the solution would be. I guess you could try to go back and backfill data. But there is a very high likelihood that would not transfer over to the places tracking the entire country, so now you have a large under count for the country. I wish this had been a lot more standardized.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Last time I checked, you really can't catch these things just by standing next to someone.
Does that make them any less fatal? And last time I checked, there are about 25 other causes of death that are far higher in numbers than covid.

And if a person with HIV dies from a gun shot wound or car accident, they don't label the cause of death as HIV.

*Edited for spelling, nothing else.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'll take a poke...

View attachment 482191

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-07-08/pence-says-coronavirus-positive-cases-flattening-in-arizona-texas-florida?context=amp

Cases are flattening in the hard hit states, including FLA. But I'm sure since the data was announced by Pence, there will be a few folks who question it. The same folks who live and breathe by any other data produced by any outlet that supports their beliefs.
You missed the discussion earlier...percent positive doesn’t matter anymore. It’s all bunk. Fake numbers.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It makes them less relevant to this discussion.........
It absolutely does. Many people have said that there will be deaths from Covid and that's just a fact. And that statement is met with "how many people is acceptable" or some other nonsense.

kong1802

It absolutely does. Many people have said that there will be deaths from Covid and that's just a fact. And that statement is met with "how many people is acceptable" or some other nonsense.

Yes, it absolutely does make them not relative to this discussion. Glad we agree.

LSLS

Does that make them any less fatal? And last time I checked, there are about 25 other causes of death that are far higher in numbers than covid.

And if a person with HIV does from a gun shot wound or car accident, they don't label the cause of death as HIV.

25 huh? List them. In 2018, there were 647k from heart disease, 599k from cancer. The accidents at 167k. That would make COVID third.

And nice to see the made up argument from 2 months ago shows it's head. You know most experts say we are greatly underreporting, not overreporting deaths, right?

hopemax

I'll take a poke...

View attachment 482191

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-07-08/pence-says-coronavirus-positive-cases-flattening-in-arizona-texas-florida?context=amp

Cases are flattening in the hard hit states, including FLA. But I'm sure since the data was announced by Pence, there will be a few folks who question it. The same folks who live and breathe by any other data produced by any outlet that supports their beliefs.

Good thing we have resources which one can use to verify statements. Or is Johns Hopkins an outlet that is producing, instead of just reporting, data? I want to see flattening, but I don't see it.

LukeS7

And if a person with HIV does from a gun shot wound or car accident, they don't label the cause of death as HIV.
Actually, there are approximately 5. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm. Also important to note, these are all for the entire year. The first COVID-19 death in the US was mid-February, COVID is the #6 yearly cause of death (ahead of Alzheimer's) in just 5 months.

Additionally, of the other 5 (Heart disease, Cancer, Accidents, Chronic lower respiratory diseases, Stroke), none of them are contagious.

Chip Chipperson

Actually, there are approximately 5. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm. Also important to note, these are all for the entire year. The first COVID-19 death in the US was mid-February, COVID is the #6 yearly cause of death (ahead of Alzheimer's) in just 5 months.

Additionally, of the other 5 (Heart disease, Cancer, Accidents, Chronic lower respiratory diseases, Stroke), none of them are contagious.

Not to mention that we have laws and regulations in place to prevent/reduce the amount of deaths from cancer (certain chemicals are banned, kids can't buy tobacco products, etc.) and car accidents (speed limits, seat belt laws, etc.). But somehow these are examples of why we don't need rules in place to reduce the spread of COVID-19. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom