Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Bella

On this note, I saw where Theme Park Review is blocking people on FB if they say they won’t want to wear a mask in the summer heat. It’s his page so he can do whatever he wants, but it’s crazy how emotionally invested people have gotten over masks.
Crazy. I’m pretty neutral about the whole thing. I don’t wear one in pubic, but I wouldn’t boycott a business over it.
If it makes people feel comfortable and the economy can open I’ll play along. I’m not sure about WDW with a mask though. I’ll see how it goes.

Jrb1979

You are right. It’s going to be a big part of the challenge. That’s one of the reasons I thought they would wait until they could make masks recommended instead of required to open. It‘s still possible they make it required and then just instruct CMs not to actively enforce except at the main gates.
Then what's the point of requiring masks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The vast majority of people will follow rules. If it’s required they will wear it. A small portion of guests will ignore the rule (like a lot of other rules). If you make masks optional many more people will opt out. Saying it’s required but not enforcing it is a passive aggressive way to try to get as many people as possible to comply without dealing with bad PR from enforcement and having the poor CMs confronting people for non-compliance. In an ideal world you make a rule and everyone follows it or they get reprimanded. Sadly, we don’t live in an ideal world :(

Peter Pan's Shadow

I can't help but think it's to satisfy public perception and to help mitigate potential liability. They really provide little protection and maybe a negative health impact considering all the face touching they will inspire. And I'm not anti mask necessarily, just repeating what I've heard from Fauci and local Dr's. A little help is still a help and maybe it's helping? I'm open to it, especially if it gets things open.

Just4Pics

Well Chapek did say that “masks for guests would be trying especially in the hot humid summers that we get”. He seems to be fully acknowledging that masks aren’t very practical in the summer at WDW. Of course the sentence before that he said masks would be required for both guests and CMs...so read into that what you want.

Honestly, I think it was as much about gauging a reaction as telling what they're actually planning to do. My bet is that masks are only recommended and they'll sell them everywhere but won't actually enforce them.

donsullivan

Premium Member
My point is that it is easy to say that people should have to wear masks to the parks when you are not the one who will be walking around all day in them. The whole "well if you don't like it, don't go" argument is besides the point and is what someone says when they don't have a valid counter argument to the discussion. He needs to make decisions, not only to appease the people who are concerned, but also those who will be there and don't feel like they want to wear a mask for whatever reason. Wearing masks is not conducive to spending a whole day at the parks. The masks will be taken on and off continuously throughout the day, kids will get fed up with them and throw them on the ground, etc. Wearing a mask when you go out and about to the stores is nothing like wearing one all day in the Florida summer. Instead of saying that everyone needs to wear a mask and those who don't like do not have to go. We can easily say that masks are not required and that anyone that is that concerned should stay home.

You seem to clearly be of the mind that you are not going to wear a mask and nobody is going to tell you that you have to. Let me ask, are you actually planning a trip this summer where you'll actually be impacted by these rules or is this just a straw man to advance your view that masks are a waste.

I for one hope they make masks mandatory for all guests and cast and aggressively enforce it. In fact, I'll be less likely to visit if they do not. When I visit after the re-opening I'll be happy to adjust my pace to adapt to the mask. I live in this climate and have already had to wear a mask when it's 90 so I know exactly what it's like. I don't need anyone throwing theories at me, I have personally experienced it.

Refusing to follow the guidelines they set forth is just selfish and nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jrb1979

For those who say they will have food in their hand to avoid wearing a mask. Guaranteed Disney will make it that you can only eat in certain places to avoid that situation.

I work in a grocery store and know how serious this is. My boss was told that these measures we are doing will probably be around til September at least. How hard is it for people to accept the world we live in.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When will that be, and who would decide what that is?
Disney would decide based on government, CDC and medical expert recommendations. CDC guidelines have only limited physical distancing in phase 3 of re-opening so that would be a good spot to start.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For those who say they will have food in their hand to avoid wearing a mask. Guaranteed Disney will make it that you can only eat in certain places to avoid that situation.

I work in a grocery store and know how serious this is. My boss was told that these measures we are doing will probably be around til September at least. How hard is it for people to accept the world we live in.
There was some talk of that a while back but Shanghai isn’t doing it as far as I know. They couldn’t really regulate people drinking water but food could be.

Lilofan

People complain so much it's habit and it's become second nature. Also complaining is a good conversation starters with family, friends, peers or strangers to share common ideas right away.

Incomudro

It's debatable if there's a need for masks...

It's more like if you feel you need it then you're free to do so.

There's a "need" to require people to wear masks.
Their effectiveness outdoors, in the hands of the general public has not been demonstrated and likely never will be.
We're not even talking about N95 masks.
We're talking about cloth masks, home made masks, ill fitting masks that are too porous to stop virus's.
Mask wearing as we the public are asked and told to wear them is a theoretical protective measure, and more than that - it's a visual thing.
Yes, I don mine when hitting the stores.
Just wore one in Costco this afternoon.
I don't believe it - or any of the masks worn by anyone else did much of anything to reduce covid19 though.
I was far more concerned with the cleanliness of the handle of my shopping cart.
Brought my own wipe for that, but was happy to see that Costco actually pre-cleaned carts for us shoppers - then handed said cart to each individual as we entered the store.
Nice.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

I work in a Walmart and know how nobody cares... sooooooooo what’s your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom