Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

esskay

Changing the subject (because quite frankly the nonsense about US politics is boring, pointless and gets us nowhere)....those working from home around the world now, how's your day been?

Moved our team of 30 over to remote working this week, theres some helpful resources out there, someones put together a page that's being regularly updated with more work from home resources here: https://github.com/zenika-open-source/awesome-remote-work

EmmieSue

Changing the subject (because quite frankly the nonsense about US politics is boring, pointless and gets us nowhere)....those working from home around the world now, how's your day been?

Moved our team of 30 over to remote working this week, theres some helpful resources out there, someones put together a page that's being regularly updated with more work from home resources here: https://github.com/zenika-open-source/awesome-remote-work
I am quite lucky in that I am already a work from home mom so my normal didn't change. I am enjoying watching everyone else realize my life isn't as easy as they seemed to think it was though.

TrainsOfDisney

We aren't supposed to buy them because everyone panic bought them and now hospitals/doctors offices and other people who actually need them can't get them. That's why.

So why doesn’t the USA have enough? Shanghai obviously does... South Korea obviously does.

I’m not being snippy, legit question.

ImperfectPixie

A little up and down, lol. Hubby tends to get cabin fever relatively quickly (our boys' autism makes them SPECTACULAR at being annoying), but all in all, not too bad. Gave the boys the option of going outside for an hour or going to their room and reading for an hour...I bet you can guess what they chose! :joyfull:

Someone posted this in my group - it's been a lot of fun!

children coworkers.jpg

EmmieSue

So why doesn’t the USA have enough? Shanghai obviously does... South Korea obviously does.

Well doesn't china typically have people wearing them on a daily basis because of their poor air quality? So maybe they just have more on hand in general? Otherwise I don't know the answer. I just know my mom, who works in the purchasing department for a hospital, was struggling to get masks.

thomas998

Yes, that’s EXACTLY what the media is doing, they’re certainly not being deluged with doctors who want to get the word out that they have colleagues who have been exposed AND CAN’T EVEN GET TESTED.

And wow, have you massively misunderstood the mask thing. Regular masks do nothing if you’re well; they only help trap contagious droplets from sick people. And the shortage of masks for doctors is for N95 grade medical masks, which are far more protective, and are now in critically short supply. Good grief.
I know it is all n95 grade masks. And news flash the doctors and nurses that go into a room with someone suffering with the coronavirus wear them, they don't just tell the patient to wear one and go in with no mask. Your statement that they do nothing if you're well is complete bunk. If that were the case then are we supposed to believe every doctor that visits a patient and wears one is already sick with the virus? Of course not. The doctors know that they provide some level of protection. So spare me the same malarkey the Surgeon General was spewing. They offer some level of protection whether you are a doctor or simply a random guy off the street to say otherwise is ridiculous.

I know what the Surgeon General was trying to do, he was trying to keep people from buying them so they would have more for the doctors... That is a perfect example of a government authority figuring lying to support an agenda. I don't care if the agenda is a nefarious or noble, it isn't right to lie to the people. Be honest, ask people not to buy them if you want but don't lie it removes any credibility you may have had.

DisneyCane

I don't believe the masks the general public is wearing in China or South Korea are N95 masks. A friend of mine who is working on construction at Universal Beijing sent me a video when her construction team was on TV a couple of weeks ago. The masks they are wearing are just surgical masks, not N95s.

Lilofan

I don't believe the masks the general public is wearing in China or South Korea are N95 masks. A friend of mine who is working on construction at Universal Beijing sent me a video when her construction team was on TV a couple of weeks ago. The masks they are wearing are just surgical masks, not N95s.
I would not be surprised that the merchandise arm of Disney where Chapek came from is already thinking design and distribution of character face masks for guests.

thomas998

Seems like we are finally ramping up, at least in some places. We are supposed to get a drive thru testing spot soon by me. Only a matter of time before everyone needing a test can get one right away. First step toward turning the corner even though the number of positives is likely to go up dramatically.
Will be even better if they start updating the results of those test online so people will not only see the doom and gloom but also the numbers that thought they had it and didn't.

DisneyCane

I know it is all n95 grade masks. And news flash the doctors and nurses that go into a room with someone suffering with the coronavirus wear them, they don't just tell the patient to wear one and go in with no mask. Your statement that they do nothing if you're well is complete bunk. If that were the case then are we supposed to believe every doctor that visits a patient and wears one is already sick with the virus? Of course not. The doctors know that they provide some level of protection. So spare me the same malarkey the Surgeon General was spewing. They offer some level of protection whether you are a doctor or simply a random guy off the street to say otherwise is ridiculous.

I know what the Surgeon General was trying to do, he was trying to keep people from buying them so they would have more for the doctors... That is a perfect example of a government authority figuring lying to support an agenda. I don't care if the agenda is a nefarious or noble, it isn't right to lie to the people. Be honest, ask people not to buy them if you want but don't lie it removes any credibility you may have had.

The reason that the healthcare providers need them for protection is that they are in close quarters with patients who are coughing and sneezing so they are at very high risk of catching the virus from the patient. Plus, they use eye protection, gloves, gowns, etc. as well. Even if you were in the middle of Wuhan during the peak of the outbreak, as long as you kept some distance to other people you would not be at that much higher risk of catching it without an N95 mask as with it. If you are in an elevator then the risk changes changes.

EmmieSue

I would not be surprised that the merchandise arm of Disney where Chapek came from is already thinking design and distribution of character face masks for guests.
You can already buy unofficial Disney ones. One of the boutiques I shop with started selling them. :rolleyes:

thomas998

The reason that the healthcare providers need them for protection is that they are in close quarters with patients who are coughing and sneezing so they are at very high risk of catching the virus from the patient. Plus, they use eye protection, gloves, gowns, etc. as well. Even if you were in the middle of Wuhan during the peak of the outbreak, as long as you kept some distance to other people you would not be at that much higher risk of catching it without an N95 mask as with it. If you are in an elevator then the risk changes changes.
I'm well aware of the higher risks of doctors... My response was to someone trying to claim that the masks didn't do anything for someone that was well and were supposed to be worn by the people that were already sick.

And even if you are simply in a supermarket you could be expose by someone that sneezes nearby, the mask isn't a perfect solution but it would offer some protection which is certainly better than none.

hopemax

They have those at the Asian parks. I considered buying one when we visited in 2018, but then realized they wouldn't really be effective for anything. They were mostly for kids, but some were super cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom