Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

And this level of stress would cause airlines to fold. I'd actually drive and I cannot tolerate distances in cars well if this were required.

We all have our own levels we're comfortable with. That stress though? Nope. Not going to put myself through that.
That's why I'm not in charge. It would certainly cause me to expand my definition of "drive vs fly" distance too. I stress out enough, I'm lucky my wife doesn't take a different plane, probably from a different airport than me.

I guess I don't see your point with air differences. To me it is a smaller portion coming in and out of the US vs those traveling domestically. So why single out the smaller group? I guess I don't find it as consistent as you do.
That's easy. Domestic travel is clearly "me" while international travel is clearly "you" even if lots of those travelers are from the US. It doesn't have to make sense, we pick tribes and groups all the time and impose stricter rules on the others all the time.

From a spread mitigation, we should be dealing with both. The airplane spreads viruses around large geographic areas better than anything else. That we've choose to deal with the international and not domestic isn't an epidemiology decision. It's that we're unwilling to accept it domestically. Air vs boats is relatively easy, air travel is "better" as spreading a virus than boat travel over a larger geographic area. If you take a ship from NY to London, the ship will break out and be denied entry long before those passengers create a large spread in London. With a plane, it just happens in a few hours. Nobody is driving NY to London (yet).

lisa12000

Look I get why they test, I just can understand what the poster was saying. I really don't honestly care what they do. If testing is required I will not travel for stress purposes only. Many feel that way too. That's simply it. The tone to the reply is what got me at first.

Nothing is foolproof but given what just happened on a friend's cruise I do question it more than I did before. Just pointing that out.

Not to mention I can travel anywhere in the mainland without issues. Seems a bit I dunno... like we're full of ourselves. We're fine with our lower vaccination rates but let's keep all others from wanting to come.
Gosh I didn’t realise my post was going to get such a reaction tbh I thought it was clear that, like you suggested, that this was my personal opinion on travel right now. I absolutely adore coming to Orlando and other parts of your country but it is genuinely so stressful waiting till 24 hours before your flight to test having spent 1000s of dollars in a much wanted trip only to have it ripped away from you last minute.

This is in stark contrast of course to European travel right now when testing requirements have almost universally been dropped and rates are pretty static and not rising and death rates are very low in most places. No wonder many are deciding to forgo the stress of testing.

I also feel for Americans who want to travel and could end up getting stuck in Europe or elsewhere due to testing requirements to get home - yet could travel back to Canada and cross the land border.

Is it a selfish point of view? Course it is - but I would love for the testing requirements to drop so I can look forward to my holiday in November properly without this fear and I’m sure most people travelling internationally feel the same

Wendy Pleakley

Vaccines do not stop transmission. I wouldn't worry at all about the unvaccinated. Also Most of those unvaccinated probably have had covid and thus have the antibodies as well. Vaccinated have antibodies, recovered have antibodies equals hopefully we end up at the same conclusion. Protect yourself the way you see is best for you.

Are we still doing this talking point? There's natural immunity so everything is fine? Last time I checked, COVID is still going strong.

Vaccines do reduce the amount of transmission.

Vegas Disney Fan

Those are the same symptoms I have and my positive line showed up in under 30 secs. No waiting 15 minutes for the results.View attachment 638236
Have you tested negative since? If so, how long did it take to pass?

Had I not had a home test lying around I’d still be convinced it’s just allergies but now I don’t know what to think.

Couple hours til my Walgreens test and then I’ll know for sure.

Vegas Disney Fan

Hopefully you will be negative !
Thanks, my girlfriend says I’m in denial and it’s clear as day. I won’t believe it until I get a professional opinion. lol.

323D18C1-41B2-4595-8BA0-CFF6FF0F8D5E.jpeg

Chip Chipperson

That's why I'm not in charge. It would certainly cause me to expand my definition of "drive vs fly" distance too. I stress out enough, I'm lucky my wife doesn't take a different plane, probably from a different airport than me.

That's easy. Domestic travel is clearly "me" while international travel is clearly "you" even if lots of those travelers are from the US. It doesn't have to make sense, we pick tribes and groups all the time and impose stricter rules on the others all the time.

From a spread mitigation, we should be dealing with both. The airplane spreads viruses around large geographic areas better than anything else. That we've choose to deal with the international and not domestic isn't an epidemiology decision. It's that we're unwilling to accept it domestically. Air vs boats is relatively easy, air travel is "better" as spreading a virus than boat travel over a larger geographic area. If you take a ship from NY to London, the ship will break out and be denied entry long before those passengers create a large spread in London. With a plane, it just happens in a few hours. Nobody is driving NY to London (yet).

Well said. People here won't tolerate needing a negative test or proof of vaccination for air travel, but people visiting from overseas don't have a say in the matter. If the testing requirement stops 85% of potential positive cases from getting on a plane her from overseas (just a made up number for this example) and we could assume that it would be equally effective domestically, then if we say X = positive cases in the US traveling via plane and Y = the # of positive cases traveling here via plane from outside the country, sure 0.15X+0.15Y is better than X+0.15Y. However, X + 0.15Y is still better than X+Y. It's mitigation, not elimination.

TehPuddingMan

My group of 14 had our last day at Disney on Monday. I was visiting with my cousins from Wisconsin, many of which has had Covid multiple times. So far one person has tested positive. She was one of my cousins that hasn’t had Covid yet. She has minor allergy like symptoms and wouldn’t even have gotten tested had she not just been at Disney.

I tested this morning and it was negative.

correcaminos

Thanks, my girlfriend says I’m in denial and it’s clear as day. I won’t believe it until I get a professional opinion. lol.

View attachment 638290
That's a positive. Not even faint to me. Spoken as a woman who has taken enough pregnancy tests to look for the faint lines. Sorry to hear though. Hope you can be back at it all soon.

My husband drives me batty with driving which is another reason why flying is preferred to me. I can say to him we leave at x and there is no stressing about trying to get him out the door. Oddly driving is totally the opposite. Flying wins hers for sure lol.

If we really want to reduce spread we'd test better as a whole. But we don't so I am not going to pretend I have answers. They do let boats dock with covid+ though. I have now known two people who traveled with others who tested positive on ships. They no longer seem to deny entry.

Gosh I didn’t realise my post was going to get such a reaction tbh I thought it was clear that, like you suggested, that this was my personal opinion on travel right now. I absolutely adore coming to Orlando and other parts of your country but it is genuinely so stressful waiting till 24 hours before your flight to test having spent 1000s of dollars in a much wanted trip only to have it ripped away from you last minute.

This is in stark contrast of course to European travel right now when testing requirements have almost universally been dropped and rates are pretty static and not rising and death rates are very low in most places. No wonder many are deciding to forgo the stress of testing.

I also feel for Americans who want to travel and could end up getting stuck in Europe or elsewhere due to testing requirements to get home - yet could travel back to Canada and cross the land border.

Is it a selfish point of view? Course it is - but I would love for the testing requirements to drop so I can look forward to my holiday in November properly without this fear and I’m sure most people travelling internationally feel the same
I get you! I had a friend who asymptomatic tested positive and was stuck abroad for 5 days. I'll just say the bug they picked up while waiting was far worse than covid was for them. Really crappy end to the trip. And yes, my point exactly. You could fly elsewhere and drive home! Really inconsistent.

Ayla

Have you tested negative since? If so, how long did it take to pass?

Had I not had a home test lying around I’d still be convinced it’s just allergies but now I don’t know what to think.

Couple hours til my Walgreens test and then I’ll know for sure.
I have not tested again since my positive test. Any color in the positive line is a positive test, even very faint. We were supposed to attend two events this weekend, one Saturday and one Sunday. I'll be skipping both of them out of an abundance of caution.

I'm on day 6 of symptoms and all that remains is some congestion and a very mild headache. Thank goodness the constantly runny nose is done.

correcaminos

If you have little or no symptoms that's great! But since you are positive, you need to isolate for some days as to not spread it? I do not know todays rules..
Last I was told 5 days if mild or if symptoms like fever are gone for 24 hours. Suggested wearing a mask in public for 5 more days. My friend stuck in europe was allowed out if masked which I find insane but just tossing differences for the world.

Disstevefan1

Last I was told 5 days if mild or if symptoms like fever are gone for 24 hours. Suggested wearing a mask in public for 5 more days. My friend stuck in europe was allowed out if masked which I find insane but just tossing differences for the world.
There are differences country to country, state to state, country to county and business to business. Its crazy.

correcaminos

There are differences country to country, state to state, country to county and business to business. Its crazy.
It's hard to know exactly what to do. Like if symptoms started a week ago, the faint test could mean it's clearing and really maybe just wear a mask a couple more days? I always err on the side of caution. Even with sinus crud that isn't contagious I tend to stay away for a while. I've had teacher friends back at work faster than one might expect (though masked with better masks for a week after returning)

mmascari

If you have little or no symptoms that's great! But since you are positive, you need to isolate for some days as to not spread it? I do not know todays rules..

If you're still testing positive on the at-home antigen test, you're still infectious. Regardless of the specific requirements, if you want to be sure not to spread it, you should isolate. If you don't care, then do whatever. They're all just "recommendations" anyway. Nobody is going to force you.

The mask wearing suggested after 5 days is a way of doing source control that's not as impactful as isolation to the individual. Not as effective either, since you can mess up wearing the source control mask. The presumption is that you're less infectious and the less robust mitigation is enough. It's not some absolute though and will be different for different people.

This is different than the PCR test, where you can still be positive long after you're no longer infectious.

mickeymiss

I used to think that it's not particularly easy to get sick somewhere like disney. Especially compared to school, daycare, work, social visits, etc. I think that's actually still true for a majority of people most of the time even now. We've been sick maybe 1 out of 10 trips. That's a remarkable track record in my opinion. We hope to keep it going but I'm tired of running from it when there's really nothing that perfectly protects anyone. We've been lucky to have some circumstances that protected us more. Many people have had to work since it all started and never had a choice to ever truly isolate.
Whole family stayed at the Poly this last week. KN-95 masked on bus/monorail but ate indoors 4x, rode rides etc. Thought we had a bit of drip from dry AC air, then our 2 year old woke up from his nap on our 2nd to last day with a fever and we went, "oh crap." Took a test, I was immediately positive, wife had very faint line.

We had avoided it for 2+ years (because of said 2 year old) and knew there was a risk.

Cancelled flight home, lost our last park day, got a rental car and drove 18 hours back to NJ to not put others at risk.

Everyone is feeling okay overall other than throat scratchiness, and Motrin seems to be controlling the kids fever with no issues.

I let Disney know before we left, and the manager did call me back, they offered to work with us to extend our stay if necessary, but we were more concerned about them sending housekeeping into our room without informing them since they don't mask prevalently either from what I saw.

Seems like if your risk tolerance is low, now is not the time to head there unless you're willing to really alter how you plan to do WDW.

*Edit based on timing of who got it strongest first, we think I either picked it up waiting to order late night food at Captain Cook's or taking my son into a busy bathroom to change him in Epcot. But who really knows at this point.

This virus doesn't make sense. I know of a 4 year old that didn't catch it from her own sister who was very symptomatic. Parents didn't bother separating them because they go to the same day care. I hear of many stories like that but some people think they got it from walking in and out of a room. It's wild. Make it make sense!

I would guess the toddler picked up the bug if he/she wasn't wearing a mask on transportation. Long ride lines and the bus would be my best guess.

I mean, it's pretty reassuring that an unvaxxed baby is totally fine. Best to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom