Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaderTron

The tipping point in public awareness was only within the last few days. I wouldn't expect any impact to begin to be felt until after the weekend. Gauging the overall mood from various sites, my impression is that people with trips in the near future are still planning on showing up but there seems to be a gathering apprehension and talk of cancelling / delaying once you get past mid-March.
Don't agree. Checking Disney hotel rooms all the way at the end of April and they are still packed. Much of the surrounding hotel occupancy is taken as well. Seems most are not going to cancel until/unless scary numbers of infected park goers are reported (not likely to happen).

techgeek

Don't agree. Checking Disney hotel rooms all the way at the end of April and they are still packed. Much of the surrounding hotel occupancy is taken as well. Seems most are not going to cancel until/unless scary numbers of infected park goers are reported (not likely to happen).

What would you define as a "scary" number, and why would you say that's unlikely to happen?

VaderTron

What would you define as a "scary" number, and why would you say that's unlikely to happen?
A large number of guests. It's unlikely to happen because of the precautions most are taking and the number of infections being so small. Unless everyone is sitting on a hair trigger and ONE REPORTED INFECTION at the parks is all it takes, I don't see many people canceling their trip to WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All of that period was blocked during some of the highest demand times along time ago.

Cancellations aren’t going to come from that block easily.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the cases do spread domestically. Hard to gauge right now still

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A large number of guests. It's unlikely to happen because of the precautions most are taking and the number of infections being so small. Unless everyone is sitting on a hair trigger and ONE REPORTED INFECTION at the parks is all it takes, I don't see many people canceling their trip to WDW.
I don’t know if one case will do it but what about 5, 10 or 25? Especially if CMs are the point of infection. There will come a point where people will be more likely to cancel. I would expect if that does happen Disney will implement some of the precautions we have seen in China like screening all workers before their shifts start and possibly closing down high touch points like interactive queues. These are more psychological measures aimed at making people feel more comfortable they are safe than anything else.

I would also assume people in high risk groups like the elderly and people with underlying medical conditions would already be considering canceling so 1 case would likely put them over the top.

techgeek

A large number of guests. It's unlikely to happen because of the precautions most are taking and the number of infections being so small.

Personal opinion, looking at the way infection numbers have taken off in other parts of the world I see no real limiting reason why we aren't at the beginning of a very dramatic curve here in the USA as well. We have gone from 8 cases to 400+ in a week. Italy saw this kind of curve a week ago and today they are quarantining off the city of Milan and a surrounding 15 million people.

Calmdownnow

Spring break is a fulcrum point. Those under 25 years old have poorer risk analysis mechanisms brain-wise (long story but it's to do with the development of the part of the brain that assesses risk not maturing until later) so they probably will not change their plans based on fear of infection, plus they've also been told that they are not high level candidates for the morgue if they do catch the disease. So, they will not cancel bookings because of fear of disease, and they may not have severe symptoms if they are infected, but boy will they spread the infection across the country if there is an outbreak in Florida.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
That’s not news. It’s more like one kind of paranoid doctor who wants to make a name for himself with a crazy prediction.

He’s predicting 1/3 of all Americans will be infected despite there currently being around 300 cases. That’s quite the jump and a complete speculative guess.

This is one of the problems with social media today. Some nut throws something out there and it’s immediately spread around like it’s fact or likely to happen. This is neither of those and really isn’t based on any kind of fact or reality.
Saying there are "around 300 cases" in the US is like saying there are "around three major theme parks" at WDW.

The actual number reported is 428*, and you can bet the number infected is considerably higher. But most of those probably won't even realize they're in the Red Zone.

*Virus cases, not theme parks...

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Spring break is a fulcrum point. Those under 25 years old have poorer risk analysis mechanisms brain-wise (long story but it's to do with the development of the part of the brain that assesses risk not maturing until later) so they probably will not change their plans based on fear of infection, plus they've also been told that they are not high level candidates for the morgue if they do catch the disease. So, they will not cancel bookings because of fear of disease, and they may not have severe symptoms if they are infected, but boy will they spread the infection across the country if there is an outbreak in Florida.

Well...that deals with one factor...

But the next two months is more families with cash traveling at high rate. Higher food, higher hotel costs...DVC point charts higher...etc etc

They “have to”...because McKenna can’t miss a day of school or she won’t get into Yale and rule the world...and Hunter has lacrosse the other 51 weeks a year.
People are so self-important.

The point is...drunkards on spring break are one thing...but it’s the heavy hitters that will be in no mood to cancel as well

thecouch

People will be definitely cancelling trips. In big numbers. You just have to look at panic buying of toilet paper. You should see Australian news . Been empty shelfs for over a week, fights in the Isles, they put a limit of 2 packets person and just today they dropped that to 1 packet person at the 2 major stores. Its crazy. People are over reacting big time. I believe this is a serious virus but come on fights over toilet paper

GoofGoof

Premium Member
People will be definitely cancelling trips. In big numbers. You just have to look at panic buying of toilet paper. You should see Australian news . Been empty shelfs for over a week, fights in the Isles, they put a limit of 2 packets person and just today they dropped that to 1 packet person at the 2 major stores. Its crazy. People are over reacting big time. I believe this is a serious virus but come on fights over toilet paper
They figured out a solution...a rather “rough“ solution but it gets the job done ;)

HauntedMansionFLA

When will we see this trend start up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom