Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My take away is that, assuming these estimates are accurate, this is really good news. It shows just how small the percentage of people ending up with serious illnesses was during this recent surge. If such a higher percentage of people are being infected and there was barely a blip in hospitalizations and deaths I don't know how this is considered a "public health emergency" anymore.

To me, a public health emergency is something that causes a very high risk of serious illness to a large percentage of the population. It would appear that some combination of vaccination, prior infection and state of the art therapeutics have rendered SARS-CoV-2 a minor inconvenience to the overwhelming majority of people infected.
I never doubted that cases were being undercounted. And I agree that this is good news.

correcaminos

Just hope WDW doesn’t reverse course….
Doubt it truly. They keep moving forward. While numbers are higher than home the hospital metrics are a bit conservative still. Oddly my area is low and here is high. Cases per 100k aren't that far apart.

Just to add I'm not hearing a ton of coughing either like some had seen. Poor girl choked on her water at lunch. Otherwise most seem fine here. Our friends are not but one had a double ear infection that was allergy induced prior to leaving (doc cleared him to travel) all the rest are fine.

Disstevefan1

I am noticing a lot of folks getting sick, most are testing negative. By coincidence, I just read an article that vaccinated folks that have contracted COVID can test negative.

The good thing for all the folks I know, the symptoms are mild, COVID or not.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am noticing a lot of folks getting sick, most are testing negative. By coincidence, I just read an article that vaccinated folks that have contracted COVID can test negative.

Do you have a link to the article?

mmascari

That’s a super poor headline. It’s very misleading.

It’s possible, then, that my husband and son did catch Covid-19, but their vaccinated immune systems fended off the infection so well that they never had enough viral proteins in their nose or throat to test positive. And their continual negative tests probably meant that they were never that contagious, Dr. Morrison said.
So they didn’t catch COVID in a clinical sense. They were exposed and their bodies successfully fought off the virus. Vaccine success. Hooray!

If just having some symptoms but no viral load is “catching COVID”, then half the posters in this thread “caught” it when they were vaccinated. They all certainly felt bad and had many of the symptoms for a day as a reaction to getting the vaccine as their bodies responded.

If we visit the Orlando airport and go to the Disney store there, then fly back home. Can I tell the kids we went to Disney World? About the same chance of getting on the Guardians
ride.

Disstevefan1

That’s a super poor headline. It’s very misleading.

So they didn’t catch COVID in a clinical sense. They were exposed and their bodies successfully fought off the virus. Vaccine success. Hooray!

If just having some symptoms but no viral load is “catching COVID”, then half the posters in this thread “caught” it when they were vaccinated. They all certainly felt bad and had many of the symptoms for a day as a reaction to getting the vaccine as their bodies responded.

If we visit the Orlando airport and go to the Disney store there, then fly back home. Can I tell the kids we went to Disney World? About the same chance of getting on the Guardians
ride.
Agreed, it's very misleading, I sucked the click bait right up my nose :)

Heppenheimer

Non-COVID respiratory viruses have stormed back with a vengeance this spring. I've also seen more influenza late in the season than ever before. Usually, the peak occurs in the middle of the season.

Jim L

Non-COVID respiratory viruses have stormed back with a vengeance this spring. I've also seen more influenza late in the season than ever before. Usually, the peak occurs in the middle of the season.
At my office they've decited that since they aren't testing positive for covid it's OK to work sick

correcaminos

This is true too. And later in the season than usual I think. I know two who had influenza in May.

I do think there has been something to exposed and sick not testing positive. I have known more than one who only tested positive a day or so too and a few days in. Which makes me think some of us are missing positives. Maybe it's a mix of both...

Epcotfan21

Out of curiosity how’s the hospitalizations in Orange Co and Florida overall look? Are the way trending up or down/leveling off?
I only tend to pay attention to the local stuff here in South Florida. By all reports cases are definitely up, but haven’t seen any news stories or articles about hospitals being flooded.

I personally know 4 people that tested positive in the last month that live in Broward and Dade. 3 vaccinated, 1 not and all of them were able to self treat from home and experienced cold/mild flu like symptoms.

maemae74

I was recently at the hair salon and chatting with a hospital nurse. She was saying they had just gotten their first Coivd patient in months. I live in a city of about a 100,000. Obviously she didn't give to many details but did say this patient has other health issues as well and that patient was not on a vent and would more than likely be released in the coming days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom