Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
But if you push the electrics hard they burn up like a Harbor Freight drill motor. Too many corners cut to get the price point.
At the absolute bottom of the price range, probably. But those would never be imported to the US.

As someone who works in the industry, and who has seen midrange and higher end Chinese market EVs with my own eyes, and has seen the engineering notes on them, there are plenty that would be ready as-is for the US market, with only minimal modifications needed for US regulations (english labeling, imperial gauges, reflectors, US spec airbag, etc).

correcaminos

At the absolute bottom of the price range, probably. But those would never be imported to the US.

As someone who works in the industry, and who has seen midrange and higher end Chinese market EVs with my own eyes, and has seen the engineering notes on them, there are plenty that would be ready as-is for the US market, with only minimal modifications needed for US regulations (english labeling, imperial gauges, reflectors, US spec airbag, etc).
Now I love my Mini, but I am still flabbergasted by the lack of EVs here. Not even going into the costs. When you realize that the car I have is the cheapest out there for US residents, that says something (not including NEV of course).I am glad my car was reasonably priced and I came from an ICE Mini so totally love. We need more BEVs here that are not just status symbols (cough cough Tesla). Sorry for a total drift. I'm just rooting for EVs

Reactions: mkt

mkt

Premium Member
Now I love my Mini, but I am still flabbergasted by the lack of EVs here. Not even going into the costs. When you realize that the car I have is the cheapest out there for US residents, that says something (not including NEV of course).I am glad my car was reasonably priced and I came from an ICE Mini so totally love. We need more BEVs here that are not just status symbols (cough cough Tesla). Sorry for a total drift. I'm just rooting for EVs
I drive an EV (well, an EREV that hasn't used a drop of gasoline since last fall, in almost 1500 miles).

I placed a reservation for a Silverado EV as my next baby hauler, and mercifully my reservation date is for far away enough that my only choices won't be the cheapest or the most expensive version.

JoeCamel

I drive an EV (well, an EREV that hasn't used a drop of gasoline since last fall, in almost 1500 miles).

I placed a reservation for a Silverado EV as my next baby hauler, and mercifully my reservation date is for far away enough that my only choices won't be the cheapest or the most expensive version.
I'm curious what happens to the fuel in the tank sitting that long, it tends to lose volatility after a few months and after a year may fail to combust.

DisneyCane

Yeah my Hondas for many years were often made up the road from where I live (okay kind of far, but people do commute to the Honda plant from my neighborhood). I think my spouse's was US made too. I just happen to like Samsung for mobile devices over others. If I went to US Motorola I'd be getting a Chinese phone. At least Samsung you expect it. I would love some manufacturing to come back to states side. Some countries are finding China isn't the best to do and have pulled out. Who knows if that can happen. But that's nothing to do with covid. Just life in general.
Although Motorola Mobility is headquartered in the US, it is owned by Lenovo (the Chinese company that also bought IBM's laptop business years ago) since Google sold it several years ago. The other Motorola (Motorola Solutions) that makes things like cable modems is still a US company.

Most of the manufacturing was shifted to China before the company split in two anyway. In the late 90's the shift was to Malaysia and then to China after that because it was even cheaper.

It was always shocking to me that it could be that much cheaper to manufacture in Asia and then have to ship the product to the US but I guess so many of the components are produced there that it doesn't make a difference. Even if a cell phone was "made" in the USA, it would really be "assembled" in the USA with 90%+ of the parts coming from other countries.

It's the same with cars and trucks. Some car magazine analyzes the manufacturing and the most "American Made" vehicle is actually only fifty something percent "made in America" when you account for where all of the parts come from.

Losing manufacturing capability is a huge problem that has developed over time. It is difficult to solve because even when the raw materials exist on US soil, getting approval to mine is a nightmare. For example, with the shift to electric vehicles, it is essentially impossible to take China out of the equation.

Circling back to COVID, it is nauseating that the country that, at best, was negligent in the early stages of the COVID pandemic now gets to profit by manufacturing tests. I would imagine that they also profit from at least some of the raw materials to produce the vaccines and therapeutics. I'd be shocked if a huge percentage of the syringes and needles used to administer the vaccines weren't made in China.

DisneyCane

I'm curious what happens to the fuel in the tank sitting that long, it tends to lose volatility after a few months and after a year may fail to combust.
I was under the impression that the EREVs monitored the fuel use and would fire up the generator to charge the battery when it determined the fuel was sitting in the tank for too long. I guess if you add stabilizer it will be OK for a couple of years but I doubt a very high percentage of owners will remember to add it.

drizgirl

Sure, but Vietnam and India who manufactures similar items don't have the greatest working conditions either.
I bet a lot of the terrible working conditions that have been utilized over history have been excused by people who shrugged their shoulders and said "oh well, there just isn't any other alternative".

drizgirl

Also. As it relates to China, are we really going to label concentration camps as just “poor working conditions?”
I can think of many others through history that were pretty awful. I’ve often wondered through the years how they were tolerated by society at large. After seeing the reaction (or lack thereof) to China’s current practices, I’m starting to understand more.

mkt

Premium Member
I add a stabilizer to it, but the gas engine will start up on its own once every 2-3 months to burn some of the fuel. Usually 1/10 of a gallon

Beyond that, the car's fuel system in the Volt is effectively sealed to a higher level than a regular gas powered car, giving that fuel a longer life.

I was under the impression that the EREVs monitored the fuel use and would fire up the generator to charge the battery when it determined the fuel was sitting in the tank for too long. I guess if you add stabilizer it will be OK for a couple of years but I doubt a very high percentage of owners will remember to add it.
While I do add sta-bil, they do. It'll usually turn on on its own and burn off 1/10 of a gallon every 2-3 months.

What I try to do is drive it to Disney once a year, and that'll burn off a tank and a half on the round-trip highway drive.

Lilofan

I bet a lot of the terrible working conditions that have been utilized over history have been excused by people who shrugged their shoulders and said "oh well, there just isn't any other alternative".
That's a made up reason. I've been instructed over the years to use inventive ways on decreasing labor costs and maximizing productivity. What companies worldwide have utilized is China, India, Vietnam, etc is to achieve these goals in these developing countries , lowering labor costs short and long term/ maximize productivity to increase company profits etc. These companies that choose to go this route instead of having operations in their own country are no different. The conditions on what these overseas workers are subjected to is another matter. The terrible working conditions has been addressed and well noted however that has not stopped work being outsourced to overseas workers to get the job done at a lower labor cost. China's zero tolerance for covid including city lock downs only add though to the ongoing global supply chain mess that we firsthand are feeling the effects.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
All of US
1643211677210.png

drizgirl

That's a made up reason. I've been instructed over the years to use inventive ways on decreasing labor costs and maximizing productivity. What companies worldwide have utilized is China, India, Vietnam, etc is to achieve these goals in these developing countries , lowering labor costs short and long term/ maximize productivity to increase company profits etc. These companies that choose to go this route instead of having operations in their own country are no different. The conditions on what these overseas workers are subjected to is another matter. The terrible working conditions has been addressed and well noted however that has not stopped work being outsourced to overseas workers to get the job done at a lower labor cost. China's zero tolerance for covid including city lock downs only add though to the ongoing global supply chain mess that we firsthand are feeling the effects.
So your excuse is “everybody’s doing it”?

And I don’t see any differentiation in your argument between countries with poor labor conditions and those with forced labor camps.

Lilofan

So your excuse is “everybody’s doing it”?

And I don’t see any differentiation in your argument between countries with poor labor conditions and those with forced labor camps.
That's a misrepresentation and strictly only your opinion " everybody's doing it ". If you don't like it, then perhaps buy your products elsewhere but that may be easier said than done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom