Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizgirl

Kudos to the FL Dept of Health by ordering all FL antibody treatment sites to be closed immediately following the FDA pulling the authorization! If Regeneron according to medical experts don't combat Omicron effectively then why peddle this snake oil?
If it worked on prior strains, how on earth is it "snake oil"? Maybe it's not working now and needs to be pulled, or dialed back for confirmed cases of older strains or whatever. But how does that make it "snake oil"? And why did the FDA ever authorize "snake oil"?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

correcaminos

Think I have the link now. Sticking to his guns I’ll give him that.

I am baffled by this. Totally. If I were his wife, I'd be jabbing him myself. Making this man seem like a martyr is not okay. They have policies for a reason.

G00fyDad

If it keeps going the way it has so far then I would not be surprised to see insurance companies start telling people that they are no longer going to pay for COVID related treatment if the person has not been vaccinated. They already deny weight loss treatment and put the blame on the person for becoming that way. They might start doing the same thing for unvaccinated COVID patients.

G00fyDad

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If it keeps going the way it has so far then I would not be surprised to see insurance companies start telling people that they are no longer going to pay for COVID related treatment if the person has not been vaccinated. They already deny weight loss treatment and put the blame on the person for becoming that way. They might start doing the same thing for unvaccinated COVID patients.
You know that the insurance companies are already talking about how to do this. They would have to require some sort of documentation to prove that you have been vaccinated in order to deny payment for people that aren't vaccinated. I'd be just fine with this.

correcaminos

He has kids also with another on the way. I don’t know whether to feel bad for him or slap him.
I read about the kids... which is why I'd just do it for him. I have had a few friends over the years who were transplant recipients (one roommate in college even) and I've seen them struggle through varying parts of their journey. One friend was effectively housebound until they could get the covid vaccine - at the suggestion of their doctor (their health is pretty frail). Not the same, but I remember what we had to do when my mom was trying to fight cancer too. My mom would've done anything to try to be there for us. Why would you do that to your family? What this family is doing is just beyond normal. If you cannot get a freaking shot how can they trust you to try your best after the surgery? Not that all have success, but every bit helps. I honestly am disgusted a lot after reading it. The poor kids.... it sucks losing your parent when you are young.

mmascari

I am baffled by this. Totally. If I were his wife, I'd be jabbing him myself. Making this man seem like a martyr is not okay. They have policies for a reason.
I only read the article, didn't watch the video. But, it reads like either the pinnacle of "both sides", or perhaps more like a dark comedy laced with sarcasm. Either way, it's very poor framing to make him the victim.

I assume they mean this line to show sympathy and that he's the harmed party in the conflict.
“We are aggressively pursuing all options, but we are running out of time,”

But, I read it with a huge sarcastic tone with the stress on "all options", since they're clearly not pursuing "all options". They don't even need to search or look for an option, it's right in front of them. They're actively rejecting the one thing that would solve the problem. They're clearly screaming at the top of their lungs as loud as possible that they don't want a transplant.

This is no different than all the other things required to get a transplant and for it to be successful. If someone stated ahead of time they were not going to take all the other medications required to have success, they would be denied too.

It's his choice. He's free to make it. Nobody is going to force him to get vaccinated. This is the very predictable result of that choice. Still, it's super sad and depressing. But, not a single person should feel sorry for him. Stand tall that we allow people to make incredibly stupid decisions. Feel huge quantities of sadness for the family left behind. They'll have years of regret to look forward too that he made a decision that directly cost him his life.

GimpYancIent

All the COVID back and forth makes a person want to drink! Hey! there is study info about that too.
'The research, which was published in Frontiers In Nutrition, comes from the British database UK Biobank, which were analysed at Shenzhen Kangning Hospital in China.
Here’s what you need to know about the research and what types of alcohol – if any – can actually protect you from catching Covid.
Can red wine protect you from Covid?
Red wine, white wine and champagne have been found to reduce the risk of Covid
According to the report, which studied drinking habits and Covid history during the pandemic, drinking red wine could reduce the risk of Covid infection.
The study discovered that those who consume five or more glasses of red wine a week had a 17% lesser risk of catching the virus.
Scientists believe that this reduced risk might be because of the drink’s high content of polyphenol, which is known to help with the flu and other respiratory conditions.
Two other alcoholic drinks that were found to decrease Covid risk were white wine and champagne, with the study finding those who drank one to four glasses of either drink in a week had an eight percent lower risk of being infected with Covid.
However, the report had some bad news of pint lovers. It revealed that those who drank any amount of beer and cider were at a 28% higher risk of getting Covid, with anyone drinking five or more glasses of spirits each week also facing increased risk of infection.
While some alcoholic beverages reduced Covid risk, the report warned against heavy drinking of any alcohol during the pandemic, as those who consume alcohol double above the guidelines have a higher risk from the virus overall."

DisneyDebRob

I only read the article, didn't watch the video. But, it reads like either the pinnacle of "both sides", or perhaps more like a dark comedy laced with sarcasm. Either way, it's very poor framing to make him the victim.

I assume they mean this line to show sympathy and that he's the harmed party in the conflict.

But, I read it with a huge sarcastic tone with the stress on "all options", since they're clearly not pursuing "all options". They don't even need to search or look for an option, it's right in front of them. They're actively rejecting the one thing that would solve the problem. They're clearly screaming at the top of their lungs as loud as possible that they don't want a transplant.

This is no different than all the other things required to get a transplant and for it to be successful. If someone stated ahead of time they were not going to take all the other medications required to have success, they would be denied too.

It's his choice. He's free to make it. Nobody is going to force him to get vaccinated. This is the very predictable result of that choice. Still, it's super sad and depressing. But, not a single person should feel sorry for him. Stand tall that we allow people to make incredibly stupid decisions. Feel huge quantities of sadness for the family left behind. They'll have years of regret to look forward too that he made a decision that directly cost him his life.
What is really sad, I mean besides the whole story is that if you watch the video, his dad is behind him 100%. So basically the man dying isn’t even getting good advice from his family. Step up, tell your son he needs to do this for his children. Talk sense into him.

DisneyDebRob

All the COVID back and forth makes a person want to drink! Hey! there is study info about that too.
'The research, which was published in Frontiers In Nutrition, comes from the British database UK Biobank, which were analysed at Shenzhen Kangning Hospital in China.
Here’s what you need to know about the research and what types of alcohol – if any – can actually protect you from catching Covid.
Can red wine protect you from Covid?
Red wine, white wine and champagne have been found to reduce the risk of Covid
According to the report, which studied drinking habits and Covid history during the pandemic, drinking red wine could reduce the risk of Covid infection.
The study discovered that those who consume five or more glasses of red wine a week had a 17% lesser risk of catching the virus.
Scientists believe that this reduced risk might be because of the drink’s high content of polyphenol, which is known to help with the flu and other respiratory conditions.
Two other alcoholic drinks that were found to decrease Covid risk were white wine and champagne, with the study finding those who drank one to four glasses of either drink in a week had an eight percent lower risk of being infected with Covid.
However, the report had some bad news of pint lovers. It revealed that those who drank any amount of beer and cider were at a 28% higher risk of getting Covid, with anyone drinking five or more glasses of spirits each week also facing increased risk of infection.
While some alcoholic beverages reduced Covid risk, the report warned against heavy drinking of any alcohol during the pandemic, as those who consume alcohol double above the guidelines have a higher risk from the virus overall."
Great. Thanks for the bad news. Although I still have a few bottles left of Santa Sleigher from the holidays. A great beer from a wonderful craft brewing company. Don’t think they studied that so I may still be ok.🙂

Timmay

If it worked on prior strains, how on earth is it "snake oil"? Maybe it's not working now and needs to be pulled, or dialed back for confirmed cases of older strains or whatever. But how does that make it "snake oil"? And why did the FDA ever authorize "snake oil"?
It’s not snake oil. There are physicians that want to treat fully vaxed and boosted patients with it.

Heppenheimer

Kudos to the FL Dept of Health by ordering all FL antibody treatment sites to be closed immediately following the FDA pulling the authorization! If Regeneron according to medical experts don't combat Omicron effectively then why peddle this snake oil?
It was never "snake oil", it's just that 2 of the 3 available cocktails don't work against the current dominant strain of COVID. They worked as well as expected with delta and alpha. Now, unfortunately, only sotromivab is effective against omicron, and national supplies of this drug are extremely scarce at the present time. Remdesevir also is used off-label against omicron, but if you ask me, the clinical indication is fairly limited compared to sotromivab.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

I really wonder what options they think they have. There isn't a transplant program in the country that won't require full vaccination.

The article makes it seems like his refusal to vaccinate was the only thing keeping him from getting a transplant, but knowing how scarce donor hearts are, I suspect this is not the case. I doubt there was an available, properly matched donor. More than likely, he was never on the wait list to begin with. He probably needed full vaccination even before becoming eligible.

Last edited:

mmascari

I really wonder what options they think they have. There isn't a transplant program in the country that won't require full vaccination.
I just remembered another recent trial. Maybe he's looking for pig heart.

From Nature, which was the first Google hit.
Bennett had been on cardiac support for almost two months and couldn’t receive a mechanical heart pump because of an irregular heart beat. Neither could he receive a human transplant, because he had a history of not complying with doctors’ treatment instructions. Given that he otherwise faced certain death, the researchers got permission from the FDA to give Bennett a pig heart.

This article didn't touch on a mechanical option, but even then that could be denied as not likely to be successful without vaccination. While the pig people are clearly experimental and they likely care less about longer term if they could show it wasn't their fault.

hopemax

Someone was asking about transmission potential if people were on different floors. Discussion including studies about apartments in South Korea that came up on my Twitter today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom