Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Uh, there’s this thing called Delta.
Yes there is. It appears based on data that the vaccines do not suppress spread of delta which goes back to my original question. It is the position of many that if we just force the anti-vaxxers to get the shot, everything will be fine. Looking at the data in Vermont, that is simply not true.

Reducing the risk of hospitalization and death significantly will happen but COVID zero (or near zero) will not even if 100% were vaccinated (which is impossible due to medical exemptions).

DisneyCane

You choosing to repeatedly ignore what has been explained because you decided to create your own definition points is not people feuding to admit something.
I'm not ignoring anything. Think about this. As @ABQ posted above, if current trends continue, FL will drop below VT in cases per 100k on a seven day average. VT is the best state for vaccine uptake and FL is a little above national average (although it is painted on here as one of the worst).

What definition point am I creating? People constantly say that mitigations (like indoor masks) can't be dropped until community spread is low. They then say that the reason it isn't low is because of evil people who don't want to be vaccinated (a significant percentage of whom have already had COVID). Using DATA and FACTS straight from the CDC website it is pretty clear that they are not the only reason community spread isn't low.

Uh, there’s this thing called Delta.
After Delta, there will be another variant.

"A new variant has been detected in a Kentucky nursing home, infecting 45 residents and health care personnel. Many of these infections arose in fully vaccinated individuals. The variant, which originated in Japan"

correcaminos

Yes there is. It appears based on data that the vaccines do not suppress spread of delta which goes back to my original question. It is the position of many that if we just force the anti-vaxxers to get the shot, everything will be fine. Looking at the data in Vermont, that is simply not true.

Reducing the risk of hospitalization and death significantly will happen but COVID zero (or near zero) will not even if 100% were vaccinated (which is impossible due to medical exemptions).
What is the end game here? If we have cases that thanks to vaccines are no more than a cold, what's the issue? That's what the idea of vaccines are. To make something deadly not. Given most vaccines have a high acceptance rate (and while this is higher than some areas, it's not as high as other vaccines - aka stop using percent eligible because it leaves out many) it reduces spread better. We are not doing enough honestly and if you think this is enough I have a piece of land Disney wants that I can sell you.

You are really pushing this so hard, it's seriously baffling. Why are you being anti-vax? And yes, you are. So how about this... just stop. It's honestly like you're trolling.

lazyboy97o

I'm not ignoring anything. Think about this. As @ABQ posted above, if current trends continue, FL will drop below VT in cases per 100k on a seven day average. VT is the best state for vaccine uptake and FL is a little above national average (although it is painted on here as one of the worst).

What definition point am I creating? People constantly say that mitigations (like indoor masks) can't be dropped until community spread is low. They then say that the reason it isn't low is because of evil people who don't want to be vaccinated (a significant percentage of whom have already had COVID). Using DATA and FACTS straight from the CDC website it is pretty clear that they are not the only reason community spread isn't low.
You have completely made up the point at which herd immunity starts to kick in. As has been explained to you, other diseases like measles have required maintaining >90% immunization. That’s a level of immunization that is also not unique to just the MMR vaccine. The measles outbreak at Disneyland even included people who had been vaccinated, also showing how breakthrough cases are not a false promise. You’re also ignoring the rise in pediatric cases.

carolina_yankee

My argument was when does the internet become a public setting....lol when its the primary form of communication? Or? Do we say every forum and every internet page is always private forever? So when we stop speaking to each other in the streets free speech dies?

You guys seem to think im challenging the law but im not. Im challenging how long we will act like the internet is the same as the inside of a movie theater or restuarant. The internet has no streets or squares....the forums are legitimately those places. But none of them are "public spaces"

The answer is simple: if a forum is not owned by the government then it is a private forum just like any building not owned by the government is a private building. In both cases, the government has no right to censor you, but the owner of the forum or building can say, "We don't tolerate that here. Get out."

I think of like this. The internet itself is the Boston Common. Anyone can stake out a place and say something. The forums, including mega-sites like FB, Twitter, etc., are the private homes ringing the Common. I can go into the private home for a party (if I'm invited) and say whatever I want. If the host is OK with it, I get to stay. If not, I get kicked out. I can still stand in the Common and say what I want.

Anyone is free to spend a couple of bucks and start their own website or blog. I don't know if this works legally, but to me that's the logic.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why give up before starting? There’s a whole list of diseases that are no longer really with us in the US.
Easy answer….if covid is with us forever and can never be defeated then we should learn to live with it now and that means removing any mitigation and also stopping any efforts to get more people vaccinated. That has been the same argument we have heard since day 1 of the pandemic.

Ayla

"A new variant has been detected in a Kentucky nursing home, infecting 45 residents and health care personnel. Many of these infections arose in fully vaccinated individuals. The variant, which originated in Japan"
The mu variant is already in Wisconsin.

correcaminos

Easy answer….if covid is with us forever and can never be defeated then we should learn to live with it now and that means removing any mitigation and also stopping any efforts to get more people vaccinated. That has been the same argument we have heard since day 1 of the pandemic.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

lazyboy97o

I think of like this. The internet itself is the Boston Common. Anyone can stake out a place and say something. The forums, including mega-sites like FB, Twitter, etc., are the private homes ringing the Common. I can go into the private home for a party (if I'm invited) and say whatever I want. If the host is OK with it, I get to stay. If not, I get kicked out. I can still stand in the Common and say what I want.

Anyone is free to spend a couple of bucks and start their own website or blog. I don't know if this works legally, but to me that's the logic.
The internet though isn’t really the Common. It’s more like a private park that just looks like a Common. Because it’s not just the website that is private, but also things like hosting and domain services that all go into actually putting up a website.

Heelz2315

I think I read several places that MU and the other variant R1 just cannot out work Delta and probably wouldn't be an issue. There was this piece of good news today. Several models have indicated this would be under control by March. I am crossing my fingers but at this point I'll believe it when I see it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Read carefully. 87.4% of the ELIGIBLE population (i.e. 12+). The point is that their current spike is getting to be worse than any prior time during the whole pandemic before vaccines were available.
It turns out kids can and do get and spread covid. 15% of the population isn’t eligible. The virus doesn’t just say “let me skip these people since they aren’t eligible”. Somehow people have been duped into believing that kids can’t get covid and don’t need to be vaccinated. Obviously not the case.

I am really disappointed to see your change in attitude on the vaccines (yes, I know you will deny that but come on man, clearly your stance has changed). Despite your obvious political leanings you managed to stay pretty level headed until now on vaccinations. I fear that this is a sign of what’s to come as more people dig in on the wrong side of the vaccine debate. It does just highlight to me that our only path forward is additional mandates and vaccine passports. When even the level headed are digging in and attacking the vaccines left and right now there’s no hope to get enough people to go in and get the shots. It’s disappointing and quite sad that this is where we are as a nation :(

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

I'm scared we will going start over again as vaccines will ending soon.....I hope this new variant will be not worse than Delta I hope.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

mmascari

Visualization of the Vermont and Florida cases per 100k trends, it is interesting to see that they may cross each other in the future, have to wait and see if that ever occurs or not.

The relative sizes, percent, and rate/100K are all making VT look worse than it really is, that's how.

Vermont looks "bad" in the rate per 100K because there's nobody in VT generally speaking (apologies to @Heppenheimer). Assuming my math is correct, VT has about 600K people, total. While FL has 34 times more people. So, if a large family of 6 all catches COVID the VT rate/100K goes up 1. Say, a family that's back from a FL vacation. In FL, to move the rate up 1/100K that family would need to be 215 people.

It's the same problem looking at the percents. Each individual person in VT contributes to a much larger change in percent than a single person in FL. The huge difference in size between VT and FL makes even trying to use a normalized metric questionable.

Vermont did really well early on. They're doing about the same now. The vaccinated percent's ability to reduce transmission isn't linear. Until it hits the inflection point, it's simply not going to do much on the population scale.

That's how I explain the VT graph. That it's simply not as bad as it appears at first glance. That looking at the raw totals and the graph scale not just it's shape becomes important.

VT compared to NH, where NH is still bigger but only twice as big, looks different. That comparison shows that NH did way worse than VT in the earlier wave and they're doing about the same now. Which gives some perspective that it's not VT doing super bad now, it's that they did very good earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom