Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom P.

This whole thing has just stunned me. I really thought the vast majority of Americans were smarter than this.
People -- including otherwise intelligent, sane people -- says lots of stupid things on the Internet. And the news media is happy to amplify the craziest of the crazies. I still believe that the vast majority of Americans are smarter than that nonsense.

Kevin_W

But WAIT! There's more!

The group that thinks vaccinated people are shedding a bacteria that will make them infertile and that the vaccines are a means to "cull the herd".

Wait, so this free shot also serves as a vasectomy? Awesome!

hopemax

This whole thing has just stunned me. I really thought the vast majority of Americans were smarter than this.
1620847612691.png

hopemax

But really, that scene with Vizzini works because of how much truth there is behind it. No one wants to look the fool, so they are always looking for how people will screw with them, and then try to cheat their way out of it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hopefully we can sustain a higher level for a bit longer. It's a good sign, for sure. There may be some increasing confidence in the vaccine after the JNJ "scare" and with government now "pushing" it more aggressively.

I was a bit surprised Biden set forth a goal of 70% of adults by July 4th. He has been conservative in his goal setting. 70% of adults may be a reach... but this increase in doses could help get us there.
The goal is 70% of adults having their first shot. We only have 26M more people to go. At the current pace 34 days or June 14. July 4 is 54 days away so even if things slow down quite a bit we would only need an average pace of 480,000 a day for the 54 days to hit the target.

Remember that efforts are underway in many places to bring more people in. We aren’t just waiting around hoping people come in (well some places are).

havoc315

The goal is 70% of adults having their first shot. We only have 26M more people to go. At the current pace 34 days or June 14. July 4 is 54 days away so even if things slow down quite a bit we would only need an average pace of 480,000 a day for the 54 days to hit the target.

Remember that efforts are underway in many places to bring more people in. We aren’t just waiting around hoping people come in (well some places are).
1620848745788.png

If first doses flatten out at the current rate, we should make it. We have already slowed to around the 480,000 rate of first doses. (maybe slightly more, for now). If they start declining again, it will be really hard to hit that 70% by July 4th.

Remember -- Each subsequent new person gets harder than the last. First came the low hanging fruit -- The people who were willing to line up for a vaccine. Then came those willing to get it without any hesitation.
We are now getting the people who weren't rushing, but will do it for free sports tickets!

My thought for a while has been we would get 65-75% of adults. I'm actually about 50/50 on whether we reach 70% nationwide by early July.

Example -- in New York, which has done well: We have 63% of adults vaccinated. So we need about 1 million more adults to reach 70%. Sounds very doable -- Except, we are now down to 35,000 first doses per day. Keeping that pace, we would hit 70% by mid June. But if the pace slows down much more.....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
View attachment 556942
If first doses flatten out at the current rate, we should make it. We have already slowed to around the 480,000 rate of first doses. (maybe slightly more, for now). If they start declining again, it will be really hard to hit that 70% by July 4th.

Remember -- Each subsequent new person gets harder than the last. First came the low hanging fruit -- The people who were willing to line up for a vaccine. Then came those willing to get it without any hesitation.
We are now getting the people who weren't rushing, but will do it for free sports tickets!

My thought for a while has been we would get 65-75% of adults. I'm actually about 50/50 on whether we reach 70% nationwide by early July.

Example -- in New York, which has done well: We have 63% of adults vaccinated. So we need about 1 million more adults to reach 70%. Sounds very doable -- Except, we are now down to 35,000 first doses per day. Keeping that pace, we would hit 70% by mid June. But if the pace slows down much more.....
Per the CDC today 151,455,299 adults have received their first dose. Per the same list on May 5 (7 days ago) 146,335,135 had received their first dose. That is 5,120,164 new adult first doses or 731,452 per day on average not 480,000. The pace may drop further in the short to medium term or it may not.

Patcheslee

So little update on whether employer would allow us to use the 2 paid hours to get kids vaccinated if we hadn't used it yet: short answer is no. Long answer is "not at this time, but we may allow employees to use it in the future if they haven't already used their allotment". So guess I'm burning some vacation time if can't get appointment after work. Chances are they will change it after I've taken time off.:rolleyes:

havoc315

Per the CDC today 151,455,299 adults have received their first dose. Per the same list on May 5 (7 days ago) 146,335,135 had received their first dose. That is 5,120,164 new adult first doses or 731,452 per day on average not 480,000. The pace may drop further in the short to medium term or it may not.

As I said, maybe slightly more than 480,000 -- But again, you are using lagging averages.
We had this discussion a couple weeks ago when I said it was dropping rapidly, and you were claiming it was still 1.5 or 2 million per day.

If the rate of decline continues at the current pace, about 25% down per week... then we are looking at:
731,000 for the past week
548,000 for the current week
411,000 for next week
308,000 for the last week in May.
231,000 for early June.

30 days ago, we were at an average of 1.9 million daily first doses. That's a 62% decline in just one month. If we have a similar decline over the next month -- then by mid June, we will be at only 277,000 daily first doses.

As I said, if we flatten out, we will make it. If the decline of the past month continues, then it will be a struggle to make it.

[Per Bloomberg's tracker, we are now almost 3 months behind Israel.. we are at 41.2% "coverage", which they hit on February 22nd).

lazyboy97o

Right. And if you’re vaccinated and have to travel to TN, AL, or MS or someone there travels to your area... well, congrats, you’re vaccinated. The risk of them hurting you is negligible.
Directly. There are other consequences to continuing to let a disease run rampant. Do we get to refuse to provide funding for increased healthcare needs?

AEfx

Directly. There are other consequences to continuing to let a disease run rampant. Do we get to refuse to provide funding for increased healthcare needs?
Especially in regards to COVID. One of the big unknowns right now is the long term effects if you actually do get it. Everyone is so focused on how sick you get right when you contract it - and that even vaccines seem to make that initial sickness less, so it is no longer a big deal. The studies that are starting to come out about some of the long term effects on people who were healthy to begin with, and got COVID, are not very optimistic. Apparently some are reclassifying it as a vascular disease versus respiratory, because that's where COVID seems to be attacking long term.

Unfortunately, we are going to be talking about COVID for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom