Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny72

The idea that experts shouldn't be trusted only extends to experts that are seen as "elite" (which is a very particular set of people). I think most people who doubt the government or medical experts have no problem relying on the expertise of plumbers, mechanics, hairdressers, construction workers and so on. That shows you that it's not about expertise or even safety (since electricians and mechanics need to keep you safe). I've never been called a sheep for taking my car to a mechanic when it started banging.

Unfortunately this is part of the culture war now, and therefore it's not really about logic anymore. Until we can learn to trust each other more, we're stuck with this.

drizgirl

Fernandina Florida report. Went downtown after Ft Clinch shell picking yesterday. Crammed. No parking. No masking in site. Ate lunch with the family at a restaurant on the waterfront. Tables are not distanced, no servers or patrons in masks. We stopped at Dunkin to get the girls a sprinkle doughnut and one woman was wearing a mask but dropped it to talk to us... then back on. Point here is, this is what I'm seeing on the fringes and I assume will creep in toward more urban areas. We were all vaccinated so we only remarked about it this morning when it dawned on us. The vaccination has removed our awareness of measures in places and it is almost an inverse reality where we are starting to notice where measures are enforced rather than where they have been dropped. We didn't really think about it till we mentioned it at breakfast this morning. In all honesty we only really avoided people or places for the first few months when this thing hit hard last Spring, then had to get back out, with measures of course.
Similar mindframe here. I have forgotten my mask in the car way more in the last month or so than ever before. I catch myself and go back for it, but it's crazy how I just keep forgetting.

ImperfectPixie

Generally speaking or per person? Also I employed the stratagem that I would tip daily to encourage the staff that there will be reward instead of waiting till the end of the stay. I dont know. Just didn't want to be a cheapskate but not silly either.
We like to leave more than $1 per day per person for regular service. That said, if we come back to our room and all the kids toys have been arranged in a cute scene, we'll leave a few extra dollars the next day (totally worth it).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Generally speaking or per person? Also I employed the stratagem that I would tip daily to encourage the staff that there will be reward instead of waiting till the end of the stay. I dont know. Just didn't want to be a cheapskate but not silly either.
For me I tend to tip a little more when it‘s the family vs just me because there is more to clean up. I mostly tip at the end but I know people who always do the daily tip as well. For me usually just a practical exercise since I usually don’t have small bills in my wallet, especially if I’m traveling for work.

MrMcDuck

The idea that experts shouldn't be trusted only extends to experts that are seen as "elite" (which is a very particular set of people). I think most people who doubt the government or medical experts have no problem relying on the expertise of plumbers, mechanics, hairdressers, construction workers and so on. That shows you that it's not about expertise or even safety (since electricians and mechanics need to keep you safe). I've never been called a sheep for taking my car to a mechanic when it started banging.

I dunno. I've had enough bad haircuts that I think the hairdressers must be up to something. Not sure what, but I'm sure it must have something to do with the New World Order...

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

For me I tend to tip a little more when it‘s the family vs just me because there is more to clean up. I mostly tip at the end but I know people who always do the daily tip as well. For me usually just a practical exercise since I usually don’t have small bills in my wallet, especially if I’m traveling for work.
I'm a lunatic about tipping daily, lol. (I make up envelopes and pre-load them to bring with us.)

lazyboy97o

Respectfully, we disagree.

IMO, you are lumping 2 distinct groups together.

There's a group of crazies who believe every insane thing they read, as long as it validates what they already feel.

Then there's a second group who are uncomfortable with the rapid pace of the development of this vaccine. After all, in September 2020, (now) Vice President Harris said we should question any vaccine developed under the Trump administration. Well, as it turns out, that's the same vaccine she's now encouraging us to take.

Science is never settled, and I understand those who feel a rational degree of skepticism towards these vaccines. Historically, skepticism is a natural part of science.

We simply need to be more persuasive convincing this second group to take the vaccine. We will win them over eventually.
The anti-vaccine movement is not some baseline constant we have to deal with. It is a growth movement and this is exactly how it is growing. If they didn’t test the safety of this vaccine maybe they didn’t for others. They’re not looking at the long term effects of this vaccine and they haven’t done it for others.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In the case of vaccine skepticism, be it the COVID-19 vaccines or in general, extraordinary claims without evidence are being given credence against extraordinary evidence. Even the way people talk about weighing the risks of vaccines gives them a false sense of equivalency that is nowhere near equal.
Just playing devils advocate here but we don’t know the long term affects of the vaccine either
Not devil’s advocate, repeating “skepticism” pushed by the anti-vaccine movement. There is no known manner in which a long term effect can arise, as has been stated repeatedly.

pixie225

What is a good tip? I never know. I know its off topic but I don’t have nearly the experience a lot of folks here do.
As they only came to clean up and give us fresh towels 2x while we were there, and emptied very little garbage (we had a lot, but carried it ourselves everyday to the garbage cans outside- we were in Garden Wing, Garden View - great room) I left $10. Would definitely normally leave at least double that. I would think most people do not tip at all from what I've experienced.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hubby thinks I'm crazy, but I do it no matter where we're traveling to! I almost never have cash on me, and it just makes it one less thing to worry about. I have fun with the envelopes, too...I print fun things on them.
It’s a really good idea. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to go down to the lobby to hit the ATM at checkout to get tip money. It has also crossed my mind that if I only tip at the end and the person working my room most of the time I’m there is off that day they could get shorted.

GaBoy

Hubby thinks I'm crazy, but I do it no matter where we're traveling to! I almost never have cash on me, and it just makes it one less thing to worry about. I have fun with the envelopes, too...I print fun things on them.
What a great idea. I've usually ran around looking for a note to wrap it in because I didn't know it was clear enough that what I was leaving was a tip and not cash I left out. I agree. Brilliant!

ImperfectPixie

It’s a really good idea. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to go down to the lobby to hit the ATM at checkout to get tip money. It has also crossed my mind that if I only tip at the end and the person working my room most of the time I’m there is off that day they could get shorted.
I worry that maybe different people are cleaning each day. Plus, I know housekeeping at hotels don't make great money, and we know what it's like to have to wait for a paycheck.

Incomudro

Freedom to what? It baffles me how much people cry out about freedoms and yet don't whine about others. You are required clothing and shoes in most places. This is no different. Places will even kick you out for offensive apparel. 14 months later and people still use this argument...

Masks are really uncomfortable for me yet I don't cry my freedo

I don't really see Incomudro's comment as an idiotic statement. It's approaching the basic question from a different point of view. And while I'm very pro-mask, I start with a similar point of view. Forcing people to cover their nose and mouth, without which we cannot take in air, and which can cause great distress in some people, is a very serious matter and is a denial of a very fundamental freedom and thus it can only be justified by an overwhelmingly good reason and only for as long as that reason exists. Where I disagree with anti-maskers is that I think this pandemic is just such a reason. But we are soon coming to that point where masks can no longer be justified.
Thank you.

Smooth

I think we would agree that there is a difference between Freedom and Anarchy. We(USA) are a country of laws. As citizens of that country we agree to abide by those laws. If there are laws we do not agree with, we have representatives that can change the laws. Sometimes "Civil Disobedience" comes into play, but that can be a fine line to walk sometimes.

Incomudro

Point is you, as a citizen of the US, do not have the "freedom" to do whatever you want. You can't just pick arbitrary things and say "I'm losing my freedom!!!!" when a new law is passed or new public safety measures are put in to place.
Point is: The freedom to walk with your face uncovered was taken away.
We can argue the rationality of the "why."
The why is the reason.
The removal of the freedom is a fact.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

The anti-vaccine movement is not some baseline constant we have to deal with. It is a growth movement and this is exactly how it is growing. If they didn’t test the safety of this vaccine maybe they didn’t for others. They’re not looking at the long term effects of this vaccine and they haven’t done it for others.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In the case of vaccine skepticism, be it the COVID-19 vaccines or in general, extraordinary claims without evidence are being given credence against extraordinary evidence. Even the way people talk about weighing the risks of vaccines gives them a false sense of equivalency that is nowhere near equal.

Not devil’s advocate, repeating “skepticism” pushed by the anti-vaccine movement. There is no known manner in which a long term effect can arise, as has been stated repeatedly.
I will offer one slight caveat to your last statement, just for complete clarity. A vaccine can cause a long-term side effect. But this is through the damage caused by an event that occurs soon after the vaccine is given. For the example I often give of Guillan-Barre syndrome, although those that survive usually mostly recover, they will often suffer from long-lasting side effects that are the consequence of lying paralyzed in a hospital bed for days to weeks. If a vaccine triggered the syndrome, the onset happens relatively quickly, but the damage can endure.

I know, semantics, but an important distinction when we're dealing with malignant disinformation attempts.

Your point stands, though, that we simply have never observed problems with vaccines that present themselves unannounced months to years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom