Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the vaccine front, we have reached 21.4M doses delivered as of yesterday so that goal of delivering 20M+ doses by the end of the year was only missed by 6 days. Yes, just under 6M people have actually been vaccinated (so only 30% used) so there’s a lot of work still to do. We obviously still need to ramp up a great deal, but as time goes on and the list of people eligible grows I think rollout will ramp up much easier.

sullyinMT

But we do not have a hospital around us when we go to Walgreens, Publix, or CVS and get vaccinated.
Valid, but the pharmacists have been trained in what to observe, and they do ask you to at least stick around the retail side for 10-15 minutes.

The other part of it is valid whether it be administered at a school, WDW property, or a football stadium. That is that while they aren’t a directly at a hospital, EMS response isn’t that far away and are more than equipped to stabilize anaphylaxis and transport.

I realize this is all theoretical and you’re not trying to argue. This is how good ideas get cemented though, with reasonable conversation. Thank you for starting the ball rolling in our little circle in this regard. Maybe d’Amaro or an EA is reading 😉

correcaminos

Yeah my husband will not be taking that one. Heck no.
Get whatever is offered if approved is my thoughts. There was way more to all of these than just government money. Likely though J&J will very much appeal to remote areas of the world.

Received official notice of the Pfizer transition process. Will be contacted in the next few weeks. I will transition from placebo if I did not get it. Vaccines to be administered by March 1st.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Valid, but the pharmacists have been trained in what to observe, and they do ask you to at least stick around the retail side for 10-15 minutes.

The other part of it is valid whether it be administered at a school, WDW property, or a football stadium. That is that while they aren’t a directly at a hospital, EMS response isn’t that far away and are more than equipped to stabilize anaphylaxis and transport.

I realize this is all theoretical and you’re not trying to argue. This is how good ideas get cemented though, with reasonable conversation. Thank you for starting the ball rolling in our little circle in this regard. Maybe d’Amaro or an EA is reading 😉
Cant they use those Advent Health people running the temp screenings at the parks? or are they not really health professionals, just people hired off the street and given a shirt to give the illusion they are health workers.

Heppenheimer

I would definitely want them supervised. But the most likely solution is to outsource.

When I was in the military we were trained for many things outside our specialty (I was a nuclear reactor operator as a teenager in the Navy). Trained to fight fires, trained to give emergency medical care too. We all were not trained to the level of a hospital coreman, a nurse or physician. Nor were we trained to the level of a firefighter in fighting fire (Hose work, water umbrella fighting oil fires, etc).

But even professionals may not be that attentive. The coreman that administered the flu shot to us in Nuclear Power School in Orlando, Fl (Long ago) was not too much of an expert either. They had those injections guns and we all lined up, he flicked it when administering it leaving about a half inch red mark vs a pin prick. Just an annoyance, but he was not very careful.
That Navy Corpsman, though, is trained in first aid, BLS (maybe even ALS and ATLS), needle safety, anatomy, some physiology, infection control, hazardous material management, PPE use, universal precautions, and all the other ancillary things needed before he/she can start sticking the needle in someone's arm. And as a federal employee, he's covered by the statute that prevents him from being personally sued while fulfilling his job.

So, Disney could probably provide the space for a mass employee vaccination push if they wanted, but the actual staffing would almost certainly be outsourced.

The legal and liability requirements alone would keep Disney lawyers up at night if they tried to do something like this completely internally.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida is now painted in red — for increase in the number of COVID-19 cases, for test positivity and high levels of community transmission in nearly 90% of the counties, according to the Jan. 3 White House COVID-19 Task Force report obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

“Florida has seen an increase in new cases despite a significant decrease in tests performed, an increase in test positivity, and rapidly rising hospitalizations,” said the report. “Florida is in full pandemic resurgence and must increase mitigation, along with an active COVID vaccination program to decrease community spread and save lives.”

Orange County, which has been in the fifth or sixth place for the number of new of cases in the state, now ranks third behind Miami-Dade and Broward counties, the report shows. The three counties account for 36% of COVID-19 cases in Florida.

The Orlando-Sanford-Kissimmee area is labeled as one of the regions in the nation with an increased burden of COVID-19, potentially straining health-care resources. The number of COVID-19 cases in the area had a 52% increase compared to the prior week."

"The Jan. 3 task force report, along with three others from December, were released a day after the state agreed to settle its lawsuit with the Orlando Sentinel over delays in providing the weekly Task Force reports.

As part of the settlement, the state has agreed to release the future weekly task force reports within two business days and pay $7,500 in attorney fees.

The four weekly reports released to the Sentinel, starting Dec. 13, document the continued deterioration of COVID-19 metrics in Florida. On Thursday, Florida set a record for the number of COVID-19 cases, reporting nearly 20,000 confirmed infections."

Here's the link to the full January 3rd report -

sullyinMT

Cant they use those Advent Health people running the temp screenings at the parks? or are they not really health professionals, just people hired off the street and given a shirt to give the illusion they are health workers.
Good question. It’s not a highly skilled job, necessarily, so they may well have hired a few people to wear blue Advent Health polos and squeeze the thermometer a few hundred times a day. The two times I’ve been since reopening the staffers looked incredibly young (though I am getting a grey beard now so that’s all relative).

It also depends on FL law from a medical licensing standpoint. I worked at a CVS as a pharmacy tech through school, but was a glorified pill counter and was in no way qualified to perform injections the way our RPh’s were. In some states, an MA working at your pediatrician’s office can give vaccinations, but other states require at minimum an LPN to perform the function.

Either way, a mid-level (nurse practitioner a la Minute Clinic) at minimum would likely be required to “oversee” the operation even if the screening staff there currently is otherwise qualified. That alone is something Disney likely wouldn’t hire directly for a six-seven month stint.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Orange County, which has been in the fifth or sixth place for the number of new of cases in the state, now ranks third behind Miami-Dade and Broward counties, the report shows. The three counties account for 36% of COVID-19 cases in Florida.

The Orlando-Sanford-Kissimmee area is labeled as one of the regions in the nation with an increased burden of COVID-19, potentially straining health-care resources. The number of COVID-19 cases in the area had a 52% increase compared to the prior week."
Big holiday crowds at area theme parks leading to a bump up in cases? I know there are a lot of other factors too, but we know capacity has slowly increased and the holiday weeks brought the largest crowds since the parks re-opened. No way of knowing for sure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good question. It’s not a highly skilled job, necessarily, so they may well have hired a few people to wear blue Advent Health polos and squeeze the thermometer a few hundred times a day. The two times I e been since reopening the staffers looked incredibly young (though I am getting a grey beard now so that’s all relative).

It also depends on FL law from a medical licensing standpoint. I worked at a CVS as a pharmacy tech through school, but was a glorified pill counter and was in no way qualified to perform injections the way our RPh’s were. In some states, an MA working at your pediatrician’s office can give vaccinations, but other states require at minimum an LPN to perform the function.

Either way, a mid-level (nurse practitioner a la Minute Clinic) at minimum would likely be required to “oversee” the operation even if the screening staff there currently is otherwise qualified. That alone is something Disney likely wouldn’t hire directly for a six-seven month stint.
I agree. I think they would definitely outsource it. They even outsourced taking your temp (although that’s more for guests than staff) so definitely makes sense for vaccinations.

sullyinMT

States: We haven't met our injection goals because we put aside a portion of the doses for long term care facilities.

Me: So, what you're saying, that for the past three weeks, you haven't even started to vaccinated patients in LTCFs?
Seriously. That excuse was only valid for the first week due to some glitch or delay in the reporting system, from what I recall.

Plus, didn’t both Walgreens and CVS announce a plan to hire a boatload of people to aid in this partnership plan to get our most vulnerable population injected?

DisneyCane

On the vaccine front, we have reached 21.4M doses delivered as of yesterday so that goal of delivering 20M+ doses by the end of the year was only missed by 6 days. Yes, just under 6M people have actually been vaccinated (so only 30% used) so there’s a lot of work still to do. We obviously still need to ramp up a great deal, but as time goes on and the list of people eligible grows I think rollout will ramp up much easier.
The biggest issue I see is that I'm starting to fear that FAR fewer people than required for herd immunity will get vaccinated. My business partner told me of two friends of his today. Both are in their late 50's. One, who I would say is very close to my political beliefs said that he wouldn't take the vaccine unless it was mandatory. The second, a left leaning African American said that he does not want to be vaccinated. This attitude seems to be spread across various backgrounds and political leanings.

This is why I reiterate that once the vaccine is available to all who want it and the requisite time has passed to complete the dosing series and have immunity kick in, all COVID restrictions should be removed. There is no reason that I should have to disrupt my life in perpetuity because there are people who refuse to be vaccinated for various stupid reasons. I realize that some who get vaccinated may still get sick but as far as I'm aware, nobody who was in the trials that had the vaccine passed away.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The biggest issue I see is that I'm starting to fear that FAR fewer people than required for herd immunity will get vaccinated. My business partner told me of two friends of his today. Both are in their late 50's. One, who I would say is very close to my political beliefs said that he wouldn't take the vaccine unless it was mandatory. The second, a left leaning African American said that he does not want to be vaccinated. This attitude seems to be spread across various backgrounds and political leanings.

This is why I reiterate that once the vaccine is available to all who want it and the requisite time has passed to complete the dosing series and have immunity kick in, all COVID restrictions should be removed. There is no reason that I should have to disrupt my life in perpetuity because there are people who refuse to be vaccinated for various stupid reasons. I realize that some who get vaccinated may still get sick but as far as I'm aware, nobody who was in the trials that had the vaccine passed away.
There’s a lot of work to be done on the PR front. I know you don’t want to hear or believe it, but part of the problem is the current administration and their constant downplaying of the virus. In this poll 26% of Republicans say they will never get the vaccine with only 6% of Democrats and 14% of independents. That has to be at least partially due to the downplaying.

Disstevefan1

There’s a lot of work to be done on the PR front. I know you don’t want to hear or believe it, but part of the problem is the current administration and their constant downplaying of the virus. In this poll 26% of Republicans say they will never get the vaccine with only 6% of Democrats and 14% of independents. That has to be at least partially due to the downplaying.
The current administration, soon to be gone, will be blamed for everything going forward for years to come. Folks just got to think for themselves.. Right now the states can't get the vaccine to the folks who want it...

hopemax

Good question. It’s not a highly skilled job, necessarily, so they may well have hired a few people to wear blue Advent Health polos and squeeze the thermometer a few hundred times a day. The two times I’ve been since reopening the staffers looked incredibly young (though I am getting a grey beard now so that’s all relative).

Does anyone know the level of staffing at the First Aid stations? I know they are staffed by licensed RNs. My one experience at Blizzard Beach, I only remember seeing one person though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom