Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimpYancIent

I don’t disagree polls can be manipulated due to bias, but in this case I don’t think the creators of the poll had a hidden agenda. If you go back and look the general theme was when will people be willing to return to theme parks overall. The sections on safety asked whether you would be more or less likely to return if....and then each bullet listed a particular safety protocol. It wasn’t worded in a way that seemed manipulative like you suggest.

On the bar front I acknowledge that bars and restaurants are happy to be open, but there’s overwhelming evidence that having people indoor, shoulder to shoulder in a bar with no masks is going to spread the virus. We can agree to disagree on whether the uncontrolled spread of the virus is hurting the rest of the economy. I think certainly for a tourist area and specifically a theme park like WDW it’s having very negative impacts and the execs at the company confirmed that in the last earnings call.
How COVID19 is being addressed by WDW, as far as I am concerned, is the BAR. The policies, procedures and protocols set in place by Disney in order to operate safely within reason has set an example. I am comfortable with WDW and that is what I wanted.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How COVID19 is being addressed by WDW, as far as I am concerned, is the BAR. The policies, procedures and protocols set in place by Disney in order to operate safely within reason has set an example. I am comfortable with WDW and that is what I wanted.

Doesn’t matter if everyone can’t get there...and that’s where they are at.

Matter to who?
Disney...the ultimate decider

Chip Chipperson

I said "bars" not "bar." I have also seen the same thing in restaurants. On the quarantines, an argument could be made that having them in place discourages interstate travel and therefore is restricting interstate commerce.

I didn't say that people all lied in polls. I said that some people give answers that they think the pollster wants to hear. It is widely known that the way the questions are designed have an effect on polls like this. If you polled whether people over 70 should be allowed to drive and cited a bunch of accident statistics in the question you'd probably find a majority that say they shouldn't be allowed to drive. If you asked should you (if you are over 70) or your parent be banned from driving and didn't give statistics in the question the majority would say "no."

As far as WDW (and Universal), I'd imagine that the legal department is driving the decision to keep restrictions vs. polling. That way they can say they are doing more than is required by the government and following all CDC guidelines.

How about we fund a poll and ask people, "Would you go to Disney's Hollywood Studios if there were no COVID-related restrictions or protocols in place if you are guaranteed a boarding group for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance?"

I'm sure that you and several other posters would answer "no" but I think a significant majority would answer "yes."

You've got to be kidding when you say that a "vast majority" would go to Disney World with no COVID-19 restrictions in place right now if they were guaranteed a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance. They aren't even filling capacity in the parks on most days right now even with the restrictions in place, so why would people risk going there with no health safety measures in place just to ride a ride that they already have a better than normal chance of riding right now with those restrictions in place??? The majority of people are being careful right now, but you think they'd risk catching and/or spreading this virus for a chance to ride that ride?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Only about 5 miles of new wall has been built.. the other 275-300 miles have been replacement wall . And we payed for it.
You are correct, the president can influence mayors and governors but when you are respected, no matter the differences in policy or other things, you can work things out. Many many presidents have done it so it can be done.

Presidents can exert influence over near everything.

They just use “grease” 💰

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You've got to be kidding when you say that a "vast majority" would go to Disney World with no COVID-19 restrictions in place right now if they were guaranteed a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance. They aren't even filling capacity in the parks on most days right now even with the restrictions in place, so why would people risk going there with no health safety measures in place just to ride a ride that they already have a better than normal chance of riding right now with those restrictions in place??? The majority of people are being careful right now, but you think they'd risk catching and/or spreading this virus for a chance to ride that ride?

Not kidding at all...dead wrong from the start. There’s a difference

Disstevefan1

Alright...fair.

My stance is that none of the data will help travel/Disney/economic issues. I’ll see how it goes.

Totally agree these numbers do not help Disney. The numbers would have to plummet to get international travel bans lifted and the parks operating to the pre March 2020, what we call normal, MOBBED parks.

Still fresh in my mind, I was at F&W in November 2019, it was so MOBBED you could barely move and it was so crowded we did not visit one food booth.

It makes you think what will WDW be like after COVID is "gone", a year from now (there I go with my optimism again).

Will WDW return to the (really when you think of it) , overcrowded MOBS we had before the "COVID hard reset" ?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Totally agree these numbers do not help Disney. The numbers would have to plummet to get international travel bans lifted and the parks operating to the pre March 2020, what we call normal, MOBBED parks.

Still fresh in my mind, I was at F&W in November 2019, it was so MOBBED you could barely move and it was so crowded we did not visit one food booth.

It makes you think what will WDW be like after COVID is "gone", a year from now (there I go with my optimism again).

Will WDW return to the (really when you think of it) , overcrowded MOBS we had before the "COVID hard reset" ?

That’s why I don’t go to food and wine anymore...haven’t since 2014 after being there pretty much every year prior...

They didn’t keep up with their crowds...and in a brilliant move: charged them more for it.

Simply brilliant. Iger should Have received
an honorary PHD from the University of Chicago.

Chi84

Premium Member
You're assuming that the people who are going to WDW right now are doing so because the restrictions make them feel safe. There is another argument (not mine) that there are a lot of people who are not terribly worried about the virus and are avoiding WDW right now because of the face mask and social distancing restrictions and limited experiences. These people believe that lifting the restrictions will result in greater, not lesser, attendance. It seems these two sides are talking past each other right now.

rowrbazzle

But can develop an adoptable strategy and pay for it with blue hands Mitch pouting in the corner of the chamber

...not so hard.
I don't know what this means.
As others have said...it’s tone from the top. If leaders at all levels of government supported masks it would make it much easier for businesses like Disney to implement and enforce.
I agree. But the line of the conversation was that a national mask mandate could be implemented by the President. Both the current President and the guy who might take his place seem to believe it can't. That's all I was responding to.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 20 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.36.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.36.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.36.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.36.26 AM.png

Chip Chipperson

You're assuming that the people who are going to WDW right now are doing so because the restrictions make them feel safe. There is another argument (not mine) that there are a lot of people who are not terribly worried about the virus and are avoiding WDW right now because of the face mask and social distancing restrictions and limited experiences. These people believe that lifting the restrictions will result in greater, not lesser, attendance. It seems these two sides are talking past each other right now.

I understand that there are people who are avoiding WDW because of the mask requirement. I've seen it said here. I have family who has told me that they won't go if they have to wear a mask and they fall into the "this virus isn't a big deal" category, so I'd be perfectly happy to go without them. However, there are also people who won't go if masks are required because they won't feel safe going until the virus isn't a big enough deal to make the company require masks anymore. Eliminating the mask requirements right now won't make those people more likely to go because they can still see the number of cases in FL and throughout the country. Nothing I've seen has indicated to me that anti-maskers make up the "vast Majority" of the population in general or WDW's customer base, so I have no reason to believe that removing the requirement and increasing capacity would lead to the "vase majority" of WDW's customers attending the parks, no matter how popular the ride is that's being offered as incentive for forgoing safety precautions.

Chi84

Premium Member
well, trump could have seized emergency powers in march when many people on both sides of the aisle were begging him to. maybe he wanted to (he might have. he probably did). but ultimately, he deferred to the states because of their constitutional rights. so yeah, i think this administration -- whatever you think of it, most justified, some not -- does consider constitutionality.
I wonder whether it wasn't more an issue of enforceability. The federal government lacks police powers and I don't believe it could force state police to enforce a federal mandate. The Constitution acts more as a limit on the powers of the federal government than a grant of powers.

Still, the fact is that laws work because most people respect them and voluntarily obey them, not because they're afraid of being arrested. I believe that if the federal government had come out with a forceful and consistent message about COVID precautions and made a good case for them at the start, people may have been more on board with them. Turning something like masks into a political football is the absolute worst thing that could have been done. On the other hand, I tend not to be too hard on the government in dealing with something as novel and unpredictable as this virus.

bdearl41

Kinda like that airline study that “cabins are safe” that came out a few weeks ago and are now being used as blanket approval of selling all seats? (The goal is to run fewer, packed, expensive flights...as usual)

...problem is once peers go a hold of it...it’s flawed and makes too many “judgement leaps of faith”
I have flown 8 times since June. All flights were packed. I really didn’t feel uncomfortable. Everyone wore a mask. Didn’t feel different than a grocery store honestly.

Heppenheimer

I wonder whether it wasn't more an issue of enforceability. The federal government lacks police powers and I don't believe it could force state police to enforce a federal mandate. The Constitution acts more as a limit on the powers of the federal government than a grant of powers.

Still, the fact is that laws work because most people respect them and voluntarily obey them, not because they're afraid of being arrested. I believe that if the federal government had come out with a forceful and consistent message about COVID precautions and made a good case for them at the start, people may have been more on board with them. Turning something like masks into a political football is the absolute worst thing that could have been done. On the other hand, I tend not to be too hard on the government in dealing with something as novel and unpredictable as this virus.
The federal government, however, can make funding of certain projects conditional.. See the precedent on raising the drinking age in exchange for providing highway funds. I think there may have also been a seatbelt mandate as well, but not sure.

oceanbreeze77

I, for one, hope that Americans have the common sense to be upset when we hit 2000 deaths a day, and its going to be soon.

Apparently 1000 deaths a day from this thing is just fine.

Chip Chipperson

I have flown 8 times since June. All flights were packed. I really didn’t feel uncomfortable. Everyone wore a mask. Didn’t feel different than a grocery store honestly.

I don't typically spend 3 hours in the grocery store with a stranger 2 feet behind me and in front of me the whole time. I'm glad you felt comfortable, though (no sarcasm there). God knows the airlines need people to fly in order to stay in business and airlines merging due to financial losses will only lead to fewer choices and higher prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom