Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Seriously, what *is* the protocol there? Can individuals get different vaccines? Are there interactions expected between vaccine A, B and C? For example, can you get shots of A and C but not B? Or are they all safe to use in combo with one another?
I have read that if you get a vaccine that requires 2 doses, you will be required to get both doses from the same location...and same vaccine.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

I have read that if you get a vaccine that requires 2 doses, you will be required to get both doses from the same location...and same vaccine.
Where did you read that? Not saying it’s not true, was just wondering. I haven’t seen anything on it. Makes sense, but then again you should be able to go anywhere and say “ second shot please” or something of the sort.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 1.18.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 1.18.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 1.18.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 1.18.54 PM.png

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Where did you read that? Not saying it’s not true, was just wondering. I haven’t seen anything on it. Makes sense, but then again you should be able to go anywhere and say “ second shot please” or something of the sort.
Oh geez. I can’t remember. I read it last week sometime. I’ll try to find it later and post it.

Gringrinngghost

Disney has decided to say it with any common sense.

Yes, let’s have a face character waltz into a restaurant for the “magic” when there are possibly asymptotic guests with their masks off eating... Just wait for a Asymptomatic child to be so enthused that they run to Cinderella without any one to stop them.

Gringrinngghost

Wait, what’s the issue? Lol
As the amended comment says above: Just wait for a Asymptomatic child to be so enthused that they run to Cinderella without any one to stop them... and to further expand to it, that's a nice 2 week break and an entire contact tracing that won't occur...

lazyboy97o

As the amended comment says above: Just wait for a Asymptomatic child to be so enthused that they run to Cinderella without any one to stop them... and to further expand to it, that's a nice 2 week break and an entire contact tracing that won't occur...
Eh, the asymptomatic person dining is probably a far greater risk to the other diners than a face character who walks by briefly. Even a hug from a child is not going to be face-to-face unless the performer bends down, and would still be very brief.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Good case study. “A character without a mask walks to the front of a restaurant newly opened for 10 seconds. Will anyone get sick? Tune in next week!!!”

lol. I think you’re overreacting a bit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney has decided to say **** it with any common sense.

Yes, let’s have a face character waltz into a restaurant for the “magic” when there are possibly asymptotic guests with their masks off eating... Just wait for a Asymptomatic child to be so enthused that they run to Cinderella without any one to stop them.

She was in there for as long as she could hold her breath.

rowrbazzle

Can confirm. I work for a university. The audacity of the parents putting the blame on us because we're not "doing enough" is mind boggling. We're a school, not a prison. There's only so much we can do to police behavior and they'd be on us with litigation so fast if we attempted expulsion for multiple violations. The root of the problem is your insistence on sending your child to an on-campus school environment in the middle of a pandemic. If you hadn't been applying so much pressure for there to be an in-person fall term, they wouldn't even be in this situation right now.
Every situation is different, but there is also plenty of internal (administrative) pressure for universities to reopen too. The finances of moving entirely online aren't so easy.

There are also parents and students who have decided not to return to campus right now. And there are universities that have students on campus, but don't have outbreaks. We just mostly hear about the bad stuff, as the status quo isn't really news.

BrianLo

Just a wild guess on my part is that they'd act as boosters.

It depends actually. Not all vaccines target the exact same antigen site on the virus.

Some use different mechanisms to produce the same result. Others use the same mechanism to induce a different, but potentially efficacious result.

So some could just boost another, theoretically they could also have a super-additive vaccine that targets two different components of the virus and would be more efficacious than one alone. The likelihood of that being approved in combination would be likely too beyond the pandemic to materialize.

mmascari

I'm sure there's an entire logistics problem around this. Do we know if the two doses are exactly the same? What about the interaction or effectiveness of the first and second doses being from different vaccines? How critical is the timing of the second dose, exactly 21 days, is 15 good enough, how about 30 or 45, or longer?

Depending on lots of answers, I can see where it would be easier, have higher quality outcomes, and less waste to require both from the same place. They could make both appointments at the same time, have inventory delivered in the correct matched quantity, of the matched product, and perform follow-up for missed second appointments fast enough to still be useful.

BrianLo

Indeed, there will be no mixing and matching. Not that it won't occur, but it won't be approved to complete your series with a totally different option.

For example oral inactivated polio is widely used in 3rd world countries still, but when immigrants arrive we would largely consider that insufficient and would revaccinate with the Intramuscular version.

Gringrinngghost

Good case study. “A character without a mask walks to the front of a restaurant newly opened for 10 seconds. Will anyone get sick? Tune in next week!!!”

lol. I think you’re overreacting a bit.

President Trump on Feb. 7 to Bob Woodward: "It goes through the air. That's always tougher than the touch. You don't have to touch things. Right? But the air, you just breathe the air and that's how it's passed. And so that's a very tricky one. That's a very delicate one. It's also more deadly than even your strenuous flus,"

President Trump on March 7 to Bob Woodward: "Just today and yesterday, some startling facts came out. It's not just old, older. Young people too, plenty of young people."

Cite: https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-...ook-1186870b-9d20-4e8f-a413-a32ec7b95cf0.html

CDC 9/10/20: "What is added by this report?

Findings from a case-control investigation of symptomatic outpatients from 11 U.S. health care facilities found that close contact with persons with known COVID-19 or going to locations that offer on-site eating and drinking options were associated with COVID-19 positivity. Adults with positive SARS-CoV-2 test results were approximately twice as likely to have reported dining at a restaurant than were those with negative SARS-CoV-2 test results.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Eating and drinking on-site at locations that offer such options might be important risk factors associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Efforts to reduce possible exposures where mask use and social distancing are difficult to maintain, such as when eating and drinking, should be considered to protect customers, employees, and communities."

Cite: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6936a5.htm?s_cid=mm6936a5_x

CDC Last Friday (this was pulled Monday): "It is possible that COVID-19 may spread through the droplets and airborne particles that are formed when a person who has COVID-19 coughs, sneezes, sings, talks, or breathes. There is growing evidence that droplets and airborne particles can remain suspended in the air and be breathed in by others, and travel distances beyond 6 feet (for example, during choir practice, in restaurants, or in fitness classes). In general, indoor environments without good ventilation increase this risk."

Cite: https://web.archive.org/web/2020091...v/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html
Cite: https://www.inquirer.com/health/cor...sol-airborne-political-pressure-20200922.html

sullyinMT

I'm sure there's an entire logistics problem around this. Do we know if the two doses are exactly the same? What about the interaction or effectiveness of the first and second doses being from different vaccines? How critical is the timing of the second dose, exactly 21 days, is 15 good enough, how about 30 or 45, or longer?

Depending on lots of answers, I can see where it would be easier, have higher quality outcomes, and less waste to require both from the same place. They could make both appointments at the same time, have inventory delivered in the correct matched quantity, of the matched product, and perform follow-up for missed second appointments fast enough to still be useful.
All of this. Why waste product (or at least limit the waste)? Not sure how the studies are constructed with lot #’s, like (identical) manufacturing centers, dates and storage protocols from end to end. I’m hopeful that distribution would follow study construct as closely as possible, just as you said.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder what happens is two or more of these vaccines become available at around the same time? Will there be a focus on distributing just one, or will different geographic areas get different ones, or will it vary from one vaccination site to another?
I would think each one that is viable would be distributed since the federal government bought all of them. The only reason they won’t do that is if one is much more effective than the other. So if one is 90% effective and one is 50% effective they will likely push the 90% one even if it means eating the cost on the other one. If both are about the same they may look at specific demographics and see if one has less side effects or is more effective for kids vs adults vs the elderly. That’s my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom