Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowrbazzle

Doctors have also said on mainstream TV that they would put their kids in school without hesitation. We can always find confirmation bias when we look for it. CDC is supposedly the holy grail of covid wisdom and they want kids in school.

Check out that published date

Indeed. And the American Academy of Pediatrics says the goal should be to have kids physically present in school. That takes into account what's known medically about Covid in kids. But they also say communities need to consider local spread and whether or not schools can actually implement what's needed.

JoeCamel

I'm officially old: Columbus Ohio is ordering bars and restaurants to close at 11PM and my first thought was: "People are out that late?"
Night comes I need to be home unless I'm staying nearby. Yep, medicare and SS but think of the senior discounts at Denny's!

Incomudro

Its all over the place; people in their 90’s survive, children die, some folks get it and have no symptoms, some never contract it, here we see athletes, are down for a month, very confusing!

But the effects aren't "all over the place."
There are very clear patterns along age and health categories.
Yes, there are exceptions and outliers - but that is true with virtually every illness from cancer to heart disease, to the seasonal flu.

Dizneykid

Of course some doctors are sending their kids to school.

Of course some doctors are not sending their kids to school.

Depends where you live. Ask a doctor if they'd send their kids to a public school in Florida.

I would ask a doctor in Florida if I knew any. I'd be curious because I think it'd still be about the same. There is an undeniably lower risk profile for kids. Some would send their kids and some wouldn't. You can't get a bigger nod of approval than the CDC and AAP.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would ask a doctor in Florida if I knew any. I'd be curious because I think it'd still be about the same. There is an undeniably lower risk profile for kids. Some would send their kids and some wouldn't. You can't get a bigger nod of approval than the CDC and AAP.

The CDC said children shouldn't go back if there is still widespread community spread. So, I'm glad you agree with the CDC.

No. It most certainly does not.

In the recently linked article...

it says...

But the new guidelines posted Thursday do recommend that local officials should consider closing schools, or keeping them closed, if there is substantial, uncontrolled transmission of the virus.

"If there is substantial, uncontrolled transmission, schools should work closely with local health officials to make decisions on whether to maintain school operations," they read. "The health, safety, and wellbeing of students, teachers, staff and their families is the most important consideration in determining whether school closure is a necessary step," the guidance adds.
"Communities can support schools staying open by implementing strategies that decrease a community's level of transmission. However, if community transmission levels cannot be decreased, school closure is an important consideration. Plans for virtual learning should be in place in the event of a school closure."

The guidelines suggest that school administrators consider keeping children in cohorts or pods to reduce the risk of spread. They also encourage the use of social distancing, hand hygiene, face masks and other measures to control spread -- and incorporating these measures into school curricula.

Right now, that's the situation in most U.S. states. Uncontrolled community spread on an exponential curve with hospital and death rates going up. Not to mention that so many school districts are totally unequipped to maintain social distancing in classrooms when they have previously had 25 children crammed into a small room. They don't have Disney money to build plexiglass barriers everywhere.

By the CDC's own recommendations, schools should not open in those conditions (but they can in states that have it under control).

While the chance of death from CV in children is very low, they can still transmit it to teachers. And then transmit it to one another and take it home to transmit to family members.

A large new study from South Korea offers an answer: Children younger than 10 transmit to others much less often than adults do, but the risk is not zero. And those between the ages of 10 and 19 can spread the virus at least as well as adults do.
We already dealt with that above. Read the entire article...

"The best available evidence from countries that have opened schools indicates that COVID-19 poses low risks to school-aged children, at least in areas with low community transmission"

Get your rate of positive under 1% and no one will argue with you over whether to send kids back to school.

Dizneykid

Don't shoot the messenger here and don't throw shade at my cool dad. He mentioned an interesting idea someone had about children returning to the classroom with someone who might be willing to physically watch the kids while teachers who wish to teach remotely can? The classroom supervisor could play video lessons from the teacher at a safe distance, etc. Like maybe a college student internship type program. I have two young teacher friends who want to go back so not every teacher is going to opt out. Anything is better than a full disruption on educating kids who need it in a brick and mortar setting. I don't flipping know 😜😂

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Don't shoot the messenger here and don't throw shade at my cool dad. He mentioned an interesting idea someone had about children returning to the classroom with someone who might be willing to physically watch the kids while teachers who wish to teach remotely can? The classroom supervisor could play video lessons from the teacher at a safe distance, etc. Like maybe a college student internship type program. I have two young teacher friends who want to go back so not every teacher is going to opt out. Anything is better than a full disruption on educating kids who need it in a brick and mortar setting. I don't flipping know 😜😂
It’s not an easy call. The biggest question is what do you do when kids get sick? Unless you want the plan to be just let everyone keep going to school even if they are sick there has to be some kind of other plan. When a kid gets sick that kid must quarantine but do you quarantine all the kids in that class too? Do you get them all tested before they can come back? That seems to be the plan most places. That can be pretty disruptive to education too especially when test results take days or weeks to come back. If your kid has multiple kids in their class test positive in different weeks how many times do you want to have to take them to be tested? It’s disruptive and frightening for the kids too. Being in physical school for a week, then at home in quarantine for a week or 2 then back to physical school for a few weeks then someone else gets sick and you are back home on another quarantine. Pretty soon that becomes more disruptive than having full time distance learning. It’s especially going to be a problem in places where community spread is widespread and rampant because the chances of kids and staff coming in infected is much higher.

Polkadotdress

It’s not an easy call. The biggest question is what do you do when kids get sick? Unless you want the plan to be just let everyone keep going to school even if they are sick there has to be some kind of other plan. When a kid gets sick that kid must quarantine but do you quarantine all the kids in that class too? Do you get them all tested before they can come back?

And then extrapolating even further...when a kid in a class gets sick, and it's determined that several classmates and/or the whole class must also quarantine, then by default must their immediate family also quarantine? So, if it's a 2-parent household, then they both miss work? That's taking a lot of people out of society and the workplace (for good reason), however it also comes at a cost. Who pays for those lost wages? Do their workplaces have paid time off for Covid?

*Mine does, and several co-workers have already missed work due to their spouses (who work in the medical field) being a potentially exposed somewhere .

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And then extrapolating even further...when a kid in a class gets sick, and it's determined that several classmates and/or the whole class must also quarantine, then by default must their immediate family also quarantine? So, if it's a 2-parent household, then they both miss work? That's taking a lot of people out of society and the workplace (for good reason), however it also comes at a cost. Who pays for those lost wages? Do their workplaces have paid time off for Covid?

*Mine does, and several co-workers have already missed work due to their spouses (who work in the medical field) being a potentially exposed somewhere .
Good question. Someone needs to be home with the sick kid, but not both parents. It works the other way too. If I get sick my kids both need to quarantine too. Why low community spread is crucial to re-opening schools successfully.

Polkadotdress

Good question. Someone needs to be home with the sick kid, but not both parents. It works the other way too. If I get sick my kids both need to quarantine too. Why low community spread is crucial to re-opening schools successfully.

It's almost like one of those never-ending funhouse mirror reflections...when you start to think about who needs to quarantine.

MrHappy

Back to school or not is only debatable because no one in authority has said this is when/how you should or this is when/how you shouldn’t return to schools.
On the topic of Disney, I can say with confidence, it would be great if my school system was as buttoned up and prepared as wdw seems to be.

Patcheslee

Here the plan is all kids in the class, but they still plan to rotate between 5 different class periods. 1 kid tests positive it would be 1/3 of the 6th grade class (there's 346 currently enrolled o_O ) due to how they plan it right now. Covid pay expired July 1st for my job apparently, we haven't heard of any extensions. Husband job has never paid for anyone being off, provided or required masks for employees at any time until Indiana governor did this most recent mandate, and doubt they would even bother making or letting people take off work if anyone in the household was quarantined. But if both husband and I have to quarantine without pay just 2 weeks that's a $3700 loss in bring home pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom