Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

They give us a nice breakdown...the school provides 2 lists - one of students, one of employees, and it includes whether transmission was at school or out of school, how many are currently quarantined and where their exposure occurred. They update it weekly.

The town gives us a daily breakdown of new cases by age range.
I feel weird saying cool, but it is interesting to see what other areas do though. So appreciate you sharing :)

Ours does kind of similar, but we've had no in-classroom transmissions to share. The only thing I get different is our school sends out notifications of a case in the school. Not sure why... but we don't get that many that often.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Most people are reasonable and understand that they need to continue with mitigation until everyone has had a chance to be vaccinated. But people are human - you can't tell millions of vaccinated people they have virtually no chance of getting COVID and expect them to act the same way they did before they were vaccinated. I believe that goes a long way toward explaining the CDC's reticence on the matter. Most will continue to follow mitigation, but in a more relaxed way - I noticed complaints about "old people" not wearing masks correctly at WDW. My bet is they were vaccinated and felt safe.
Also, if you want to persuade people to get vaccinated who might not otherwise, "get this shot and you still have to do all the stuff you've been doing for over a year that you hate" is not an effective tactic.

you two can’t honestly still question why information is “controlled” or “spun” can you?

ImperfectPixie

I feel weird saying cool, but it is interesting to see what other areas do though. So appreciate you sharing :)

Ours does kind of similar, but we've had no in-classroom transmissions to share. The only thing I get different is our school sends out notifications of a case in the school. Not sure why... but we don't get that many that often.
Ours does, too - we get an e-mail with a form letter that has the number updated. (unless your child was a close contact, then they call you) They started sending them out the day they found out about new cases, but changed that around November to sending them out only once a week.

It's interesting though...the letter is MUCH more vague than the spreadsheet they have on the website.

correcaminos

Ours does, too - we get an e-mail with a form letter that has the number updated. (unless your child was a close contact, then they call you) They started sending them out the day they found out about new cases, but changed that around November to sending them out only once a week.

It's interesting though...the letter is MUCH more vague than the spreadsheet they have on the website.
Interesting We get our e-mails after contact tracing is done. So we could get more than one a week. At the height we were getting a few a week at times. Our emails do not give updated numbers for the school. We don't even know though if it is a student or teacher.

Like you we get called if our kid would need to quarantine. Apparently when track exposure (but no spread - I watched for that lol) happened, kids were called down to the office. Caused about 100 kids to go out that week just before spring break. Glad we had chosen to cancel at that point our trip to see family. Imagine canceling for quarantine requirements.

ImperfectPixie

Interesting We get our e-mails after contact tracing is done. So we could get more than one a week. At the height we were getting a few a week at times. Our emails do not give updated numbers for the school. We don't even know though if it is a student or teacher.

Like you we get called if our kid would need to quarantine. Apparently when track exposure (but no spread - I watched for that lol) happened, kids were called down to the office. Caused about 100 kids to go out that week just before spring break. Glad we had chosen to cancel at that point our trip to see family. Imagine canceling for quarantine requirements.
I should have been more clear about the letter - the only number it gives is new cases among students and that "your child was NOT a close contact". We started getting a lot, too...and then they spaced them out to once a week.

havoc315

About 3 million Americans are getting vaccinated daily, an 11 percent decrease in the seven-day average of daily shots administered over the past week. The unprecedented drop is rivaled only by a brief falloff that occurred in February, when...

Scores of counties from Iowa to Texas have begun to decline vaccineshipments, highlighting issues of hesitancy and barriers to health care thatmay hamper efforts to reach the levels of protection needed to halt the spread of the coronavirus....

Some counties with as few as a quarter of eligible residents fully vaccinated are seeing steady or even increasingcoronavirus infections, a harbinger of how inadequate coverage could allow the virus to spread. Most are relatively rural and overwhelmingly Republican. Health officials in these places said they had not expected such anti-vaccine antipathy.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

About 3 million Americans are getting vaccinated daily, an 11 percent decrease in the seven-day average of daily shots administered over the past week. The unprecedented drop is rivaled only by a brief falloff that occurred in February, when...

Scores of counties from Iowa to Texas have begun to decline vaccineshipments, highlighting issues of hesitancy and barriers to health care thatmay hamper efforts to reach the levels of protection needed to halt the spread of the coronavirus....

Some counties with as few as a quarter of eligible residents fully vaccinated are seeing steady or even increasingcoronavirus infections, a harbinger of how inadequate coverage could allow the virus to spread. Most are relatively rural and overwhelmingly Republican. Health officials in these places said they had not expected such anti-vaccine antipathy.
Can't wait to read the next prediction about indoor mask-requirements at Disney going away this year, much less outdoor ones.

Chi84

Premium Member
you two can’t honestly still question why information is “controlled” or “spun” can you?
No, but I think that tactic can have unforeseen downsides. I also think it shows a lack of respect for people's intelligence, but if you believe people have no intelligence, that reason is not persuasive.

Last edited:

havoc315

Also, if you want to persuade people to get vaccinated who might not otherwise, "get this shot and you still have to do all the stuff you've been doing for over a year that you hate" is not an effective tactic.

But that’s not the tactic.
It’s, “when you get vaccinated, you can socialize normally with other vaccinated people. When enough people get vaccinated, we can go back to normal as a society”

That seems like a really good reason to get vaccinated and to encourage your friends and family to get vaccinated.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I'm describing the world as it is, not as I'd like it to be.
I'd say that supporting those who contribute to that stupidity would be the first clue. A statement from just one or two people in the media that most of these people follow would do WONDERS. The sheep need shepherds they can trust... but that ain't gon' happen. Or better yet, folks in power whom these same people take seriously. But you know, scare tactics work for either side (gotta keep those viewers, keep the anger going, and make that money).

The world doesn't have to remain as it is. All we can do is attempt to keep the misinformed from remaining blissfully ignorant.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I do think outdoor mask requirements will be gone by June-July at Disney. But indoor masking may be around for a while. We will see.
Define outdoors. I still hold that Disney won't drop them - at the least until 2022. I just don't see how - even if they follow Dollywood's lead - Disney can guide the masses to exactly where and when to wear them. I don't know if people will be able to sit through a 2 minute announcement every 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom