Coronado Springs Resort - Have I made a mistake?

Graham9

We have suddenly found we can afford to come to WDW in the first two weeks in December. Unable to get in Riverside or French Quarter, we could only get reservations in Coronado Springs.

But I am starting to have concerns, having read some reviews. Whilst most reviews say its reasonably good, there is a worrying number of bad reviews, quoting bad service, dirty rooms, lack of security, apathetic staff and so on. (Which I was shocked to read as this is a Disney resort)

Can anyone convince me I have not made a mistake? To be honest, I'm in two minds about cancelling althogether.

:lookaroun:lookaroun

Courtman

No you've not made a mistake - we stayed there in June and it is a fantastic resort! Its got fantastic theming, and although its a bit sprawling we found getting about wasn't difficult at all.

We stayed in the Cabana's area of the resort and it was a short walk to the food center and the main pool, although the quiet pool was perfect too.

Its close to the main roads so easy to drive around.

The only criticism I'd have about it was that the food court was a bit hit-and-miss - ok, the food was really nice but difficult to get to. But heck you've got the whole of WDW out there - you don't always have to eat at the hotel!

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

We have suddenly found we can afford to come to WDW in the first two weeks in December. Unable to get in Riverside or French Quarter, we could only get reservations in Coronado Springs.

But I am starting to have concerns, having read some reviews. Whilst most reviews say its reasonably good, there is a worrying number of bad reviews, quoting bad service, dirty rooms, lack of security, apathetic staff and so on. (Which I was shocked to read as this is a Disney resort)

Can anyone convince me I have not made a mistake? To be honest, I'm in two minds about cancelling althogether.

Your only mistake would be to cancel.

The thing you've got to realize is that if you go searching for information on ANY resort anywhere (not just at WDW), you are going to uncover negative reviews. Every hotel everywhere.

Any hotel anywhere can have isolated incidents of uncleanliness and apathetic staff. No place is immune from that, because that depends on individual people. At WDW, someone who works at Coronado Springs (and who is apathetic about their job) might bid on a position at Grand Floridian, and between the time of the bad review and YOUR trip that person might have been transfered already.

I use reviews to help me understand PERMANENT aspects of a resort. THOSE are things that will not change. For example, I don't care for the theme of Port Orleans Riverside. The theme just doesn't interest me. The theme is a permanent fixture of the resort that staffing can't change ... it will always be there whether the staff are wonderful or awful. Or if the rooms at a resort are too small for my taste, then I know I won't be happy there. Or if the resort is way to large for my taste and thus will involve very long walks, that would disappoint me and therefore I wouldn't want to stay there.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say? I suggest ignoring reviews about SERVICE, since that can change on a day-to-day basis. Furthermore, if you concentrate on any single resort hotel, I guarantee you will see bad reviews of it.

I'm not just talking from the cheap seats, by the way ... I've never stayed at Coronado Springs but I'll be staying there with my family in February.:wave:

Upvote 0

THECOTEFAMILY

I agree don't cancel your reservations. If POR is still booked up check on the WILDERNESS CABINS. They were put at a moderate price range a few months ago. Don't know if that is something you and your family would be interested in but, it is an alternative. Use this url to check them out.....good luck! :) http://allears.net/acc/faq_fw.htm

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Cleve Rocks has stated it perfectly. Now to balance out the bad reviews here is a website that is specifically dedicated to Cornado Springs:
http://coronado_springs.tripod.com/
Also I have stayed there a number of times, have never had any problems with the staff at all!!! In fact one CM, Lee went very well above and beyond to make sure that I was comfortable in my room. I made sure to let his manager know the following morning that Lee ROCKS!!!!!!!!! I had gotten to my room and it smelled like someone ( probably several someones) Had a smokefest in the room. I called the front Desk, explained the problem (this was right at the switchover to non smoking rooms property wide) and within minutes they told us to come back and switched our room. All of this was done at 1 in the morning ( Late flight in) with the computer system down for the night!!! I have stayed at CSR several times before and wouldnt hesitate to stay there again!!! Have a GREAT time!! Belle

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
I stayed at Coronado Springs in February and didn't know what to expect. This was the first time I stayed at a moderate resort in 10 years. Wow I was definitely blown away. It was absolutely gorgeous. Usually when we stay on property we either splurge and go deluxe or keep it cheap and stay in a value. Well I don't think I'll ever go for a value resort again. There is such a HUGE difference in the quality by paying those extra few dollars for a moderate.

Upvote 0

Philo

I've never stayed there but I'm sure that most of the bad reviews can be ignored. Remember that people are far more vocal when they want to complain that they are when happy. For as many bad reviews you see there will be many, many more satisified people. If Disney were getting alot of complaints about any resort you can guarentee they would fix it.

You've not made a mistake and you will have a wonderful time. Just don't go there expecting a 4 star resort and you will be fine!

Have a great time!

Upvote 0

IMPoppins

We love Coronado Springs. The rooms are spacious, the main pool alot of fun and the grounds are beautiful! It is my favorite moderate reort. We stayed there in December of '07. I forget what building we were in, but we were close to a bus stop. We were on the DDP and the food court was wonderful - sit down type meals for a counter service credit. Also, Maya Grill is a great table service restaurant. Have a great trip :wave:

Upvote 0

BrerKev

I find that many more people who post a review do so to vent on a problem they have had. Reviews can be terribly one sided, simply due to the fact that most people who enjoyed their stay don't take the time to share their positive thoughts.

Even if CS is not your first choice, you will still be going to WDW, and I'm sure you will have a fabulous time!

Upvote 0

smk

What? :eek: Cancelling a vacation to WDW for a few bad reviews? :brick:please, don't give people that have sour things to say that kind of power over your trip. IF there are things you don't like after you arrive and see your room then go to management and present your case. There are things within your power to change while you are there and good communication with the staff at the resort will go a long way towards helping you avoid issue you and your family find to be a problem. To quote a very wise lady....my Mom, "don't borrow trouble till it comes knockin at your door". Go, have fun and if you feel like you just can't get over the potential problems then I am sure anyone of us not fortunate enough to go this Christmas will be happy to take your place.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

the WILDERNESS CABINS. They were put at a moderate price range a few months ago.
This statement is completely untrue. I'm not talking as a matter of opinion, but as a FACT.

It is true that the cabins at Fort Wilderness Campground have been reclassified to the Moderate category. HOWEVER, they never adjusted the price one penny. The cabins remain substantially more expensive than the Moderate resorts. Nice try, though.:)

Upvote 0

KingStefan

CSR is a wonderful resort. The feel of it is different from the PO resorts, but still very Disney-like. The major differences are that CSR is really spread out, and there are sometime some conventioneers there. Mostly in las Casitas. If this is a concern to you, take this in to consideration.

The pool area is the best of all mods, IMHO.

Don't cancel. If you get into a cancellation of another resort you would greatly prefer, like PO, then go for it. But why not try something different?

The resort has a very different feel depending on which "village" you stay in, so I'd recommend researching the resort to see what your room assignment preferences are, and requesting them with central reservations.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

coltow

We had a great time there. We were there shortly after it had opened. The rooms were nice (spacious and clean) and the pool was great. We did like the theme we did feel like we were "transported" when we arrived. Our only issue was with the food court. There was someone there to take you to a table and then you were expected to tip them. I didn't like that. I don't know if that has changed, if not at least you're aware of it now.

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

You did not make a mistake.

Coronado is by far our fave moderate resort. As a matter of fact, the worst resort experience we've ever had was last Christmas at Port Orleans Riverside. We split our 10 day trip between Coronado and Riverside. POR was dirty the entire time with garbage, cigarettes butts, ketchup spills, etc. everywhere along paths, slow service, poor buses, etc. It's the only resort we'd ever hesitate to stay at again (although people on these boards have assured me it was a fluke...bad few days).

In contrast, we've been to Coronado a few times and it's always been amazing. The theming is awesome, it has a great main pool, the best food court with the biggest portions and best food (by far) and a wonderful fitness center. It also is decorated beautifully for the Christmas season.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom