News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
As someone who has stayed here every year since 2014, I am very pleased with all of the changes.

We endured significant “growing pains” during our 2017 and 2018 trips, so I am very much looking forward to the new additions.

I belong to numerous Coronado FB groups and have been following the tower/restaurant construction pics daily for almost two years. Can’t wait to see the finished product with my own eyes in September.

So far, I like what I see.

hsisthebest

Good for you if you like the direction that they are taking with all the new resort builds. I wish I had your taste in design because it doesn't make me happy and I don't enjoy being unhappy. Disney Springs may be detailed and all shiny, new and hip but it lacks character. There is no heart in it. What does it represent? Looks just like many upscale So Cal shopping centers to me. It may look "nice" but I'm not drawn into whatever world it is attempting to create. I don't see creativity, personality or just plain "fun" when I look at it.

It doesn't feel like the Disney I used to know and fell in love with. But I don't get much of that type feeling driving around the property anymore. I guess that is on account of my lack of taste.;)
The Downtown Disney you "used to know and love"? Pleasure Island? The Sosa Cigar shop? Disneyquest?
Good for you if you like the direction that they are taking with all the new resort builds. I wish I had your taste in design because it doesn't make me happy and I don't enjoy being unhappy. Disney Springs may be detailed and all shiny, new and hip but it lacks character. There is no heart in it. What does it represent? Looks just like many upscale So Cal shopping centers to me. It may look "nice" but I'm not drawn into whatever world it is attempting to create. I don't see creativity, personality or just plain "fun" when I look at it.

It doesn't feel like the Disney I used to know and fell in love with. But I don't get much of that type feeling driving around the property anymore. I guess that is on account of my lack of taste.;)
You fell in love with Pleasure Island? DisneyQuest? Sosa Cigars? That overpriced movie memorabilia store? Come on, those places can't hold a handle to the Edison, Jack Lindsey's, and the fun of "getting in" to Enzo's hideaway. Disney Springs is is multitudes better than Downtown Disney ever was. - I have been going yearly or so since the late 90's.

voodoo321

The Downtown Disney you "used to know and love"? Pleasure Island? The Sosa Cigar shop? Disneyquest?

You fell in love with Pleasure Island? DisneyQuest? Sosa Cigars? That overpriced movie memorabilia store? Come on, those places can't hold a handle to the Edison, Jack Lindsey's, and the fun of "getting in" to Enzo's hideaway. Disney Springs is is multitudes better than Downtown Disney ever was. - I have been going yearly or so since the late 90's.
"It doesn't feel like the Disney I used to know and fell in love with". Not "I was in love with Downtown Disney". Go back to school and learn some reading comprehension before you chastise somebody for an opinion that they didn't even express next time. I was speaking of the resort as a whole and Disney Springs being an example of the direction they are taking. Taking the heart out of it.

There certainly were elements of the old Disney Marketplace, Pleasure Island and Downtown Disney that captured the magic. Some of it did feel cheap and there is no doubt that it got more and more incohesive over the years. All I'm saying is that I don't feel like I'm in Walt Disney World when I'm in Disney Springs. What world is it trying to build? Where am I being transported to? It IS nice. Neat and clean and stylish, but lacking character. I do like Jock Lindsay's. I like alot of the place. The Edison tries really hard to be something special and comes close to pulling it off. There is something missing though. DS would be a nice, attractive destination in any U.S. city.... and that's the problem for me.

Last edited:

voodoo321

I was just at Friday's about two weeks ago and I can confirm that this new dining location doesn't look like one. The liars are trying to pull the wool over our eyes again. Lol! Geyser Point is the best outdoor patio bar/dining area at WDW, by the way.
I think the Friday's comments came from mocking my post that you could plop this restaurant down in any city's suburban outdoor shopping plaza and it would fit right in. I stand by that post. The point being is that it looks nice, comfortable and inviting, and all those things are great, but that's it! We are at WDW. Where is the creativity? Evidently it isn't obvious enough that maybe, possibly, maybe they do some ancient Mayan and or Aztec theming. Anything. Other than Olive Garden with a nice patio.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I was complaining about that. But then I was reminded exactly how many times in all our trips did I ever actually sit on the balcony for more than a couple minutes - zero. I was either hot or bugs kept flying around.

So, no balcony is not a loss in my opinion. I think there is a rooftop bar anyways, so that's where I'll be!
Sorry, you are not allowed to be positive and/or logical in this thread. This thread is reserved for complaining and criticizing by people who predominately never have and never will stay at CSR. 🙄

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, June 20, 2019. New signage and color scheme at the entrance to the Coronado Springs Resort.

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

Close-up of the front façade balcony at the top of the tower (left and right sides). Note the suspended overhang for shade.

IMG_1477.JPG

dreday3

So....
Festive, Fun Unique themed Disney Resort Experience
View attachment 382833

New Disney Marriott Style every-hotel-in-the-world experience
Stripped down, shrink wrapped and souless
.... Meh....
View attachment 382834

Or Goodbye 1997, hello 2019!

It's all how you look at it. The old sign looked very dated/my boyfriend's parents old house in Arizona. I love the color scheme on the new one.

Last edited:

peter11435

It's all how you look at it. The old sign looked very dated/my boyfriend's parents old house in Arizona. I love the color scheme on the new one.
Yep. The old sign was very dated and needed an update. Although I do think the new version is lacking something, maybe they should have kept a border of some sort on the concrete wall.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So....
View attachment 382833

.... Meh....
View attachment 382834

The old sign made reading the name difficult. If you want people to read the text you took the time put out there, you don't obscure it with a graphical background. IOW, the original sign is a design fail. There are ways to be colorful and festive without being a jerk to your text.

SteamboatJoe

The old sign made reading the name difficult. If you want people to read the text you took the time put out there, you don't obscure it with a graphical background. IOW, the original sign is a design fail. There are ways to be colorful and festive without being a jerk to your text.
I get the background change but not embellishing the top in some manner was a miss. It's a little too minimalist.

cosmicgirl

I don't understand the cool tones for what otherwise feels like a warm-toned resort. That's what bothers me most about Riviera's exterior: it seems to have such a cool-toned color scheme which (solely based on pictures) completely clashes with CBR.

peter11435

I don't understand the cool tones for what otherwise feels like a warm-toned resort. That's what bothers me most about Riviera's exterior: it seems to have such a cool-toned color scheme which (solely based on pictures) completely clashes with CBR.
The color scheme (and theme) of the entire Coronado Springs Resort has been changed as part of this project.

cosmicgirl

The color scheme (and theme) of the entire Coronado Springs Resort has been changed as part of this project.
I'm well aware, but this sign still looks - for lack of a better word - too white. Edit: actually, make that too turquoise. A color I can't recall seeing anywhere but the pool.

prberk

So....
View attachment 382833

.... Meh....
View attachment 382834

It's not about your favorite color scheme or your boyfriend's house. It's about the "Coronado" theme -- an adventure lies ahead like exploring old Mexico. It was never about 1997 any more than Indiana Jones/"Raiders of the Lost Ark" is about 1980. Indiana Jones was about the swashbuckling adventures of the 1930s serials in the exotic places inhabited in them. Everything from the Mayan pool to the colorful signage to the market was meant to take you to a place reminiscent of exploring old Mexico, but with modern utilities... just like Disney is famous for. The new theme is more like what Marriott is famous for: nice but nondescript accommodations.

And as I have said elsewhere, it makes no sense that they are making all of these nondescript adult hotels now at the same time that they are "Disneyfying" the original beautifully themed deluxe hotels with characters (even misplaced) and bars from the animated films.

As much as I hate to say it here, I think we are missing Michael Eisner at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom