COP replacement

ORG13

It has been the same since 1975. when thinking about tomorrow why must I be reminded of the past?

Although Im a fan of CoP i have to agree with you. The stuff thats in the "future" on the ride is the present today. Im up for a re-twerking beacuse I love the attraction, but it no longer fits in the tommorowland theme. Maybe with the retheming that is going on in tommorowland well see what they have in store for CoP.
As for right now I can live with the ride, love going to it, but its outdated and either needs to
1.Move locations
2.Re done
3.Replaced
4.Or a combo of 1 and 3 (probably my choice)

This is horrible!

CoP is my favorite attraction in MK! It is the first thing I do on every trip to The World, but... here's what I think.

How about a New Carousel of Progress taking place in this century. The first scene could begin on new years ever 1999/2000 taking the family into a whole new millenium talk about the last few years, the internet boom and the Y2K scare and ending with New Years being counted in and a transition song to take us to scene 2.

Scene 2 can be the imagineers vision of what things may look like in 2025. It's really not that far off we're already 8 years in, so they can mix a lot of the things we already know.

Scene 3 can be the 2050s and Scene 4 can be 207?, again, there would need to be alot of imagination and speculation to create these scenes, but I think that was always the ideas that set Disney Parks ahead of the pack.

AAs and other technologies have improved so much that I really think this could be an amazing addition to WDW and would really better serve the idea of Tommorrowland!

MarkTwain

Agreed also add TTA minus the new script.

D'oh!, forgot about the good ol' PeopleMover. But is the new script really that bad? I haven't made it down to WDW since it reopened.

CoP is my favorite attraction in MK! It is the first thing I do on every trip to The World, but... here's what I think.

How about a New Carousel of Progress taking place in this century. The first scene could begin on new years ever 1999/2000 taking the family into a whole new millenium talk about the last few years, the internet boom and the Y2K scare and ending with New Years being counted in and a transition song to take us to scene 2.

Scene 2 can be the imagineers vision of what things may look like in 2025. It's really not that far off we're already 8 years in, so they can mix a lot of the things we already know.

Scene 3 can be the 2050s and Scene 4 can be 207?, again, there would need to be alot of imagination and speculation to create these scenes, but I think that was always the ideas that set Disney Parks ahead of the pack.

AAs and other technologies have improved so much that I really think this could be an amazing addition to WDW and would really better serve the idea of Tommorrowland!

Okay, while we're armchairing... what if the first scene took place where the current one left off (in the 1960s), with the family dreaming of a what a future would be like. After that, the show incorporates elements of Horizons. A scene, taking place in a rather soon tomorrow, shows a family living in a desert, and all the eco/sustainable ways they live there, collecting water and solar energy and what not. The next scene shows the family living in an underwater city, with the daughter going out to SCUBA, the son playing with their pet seal, and the father proudly boasting about his new submarine, etc. The final scene shows the family in space, with all of their futuristic technology and their space-age interior.

Attractions like Spaceship Earth and the current CoP age well because they mainly talk about the past, showing the development of progress by showing it in history. Only a small part actually deals with the future. That way, the Imagineers only have to update one or two scenes instead of the whole attraction. So one danger to such a Carousel idea is that it won't age well without needing frequent updates.

Just tossing ideas around...

Figment632

Original Poster

Love this idea!

D'oh!, forgot about the good ol' PeopleMover. But is the new script really that bad? I haven't made it down to WDW since it reopened.

Okay, while we're armchairing... what if the first scene took place where the current one left off (in the 1960s), with the family dreaming of a what a future would be like. After that, the show incorporates elements of Horizons. A scene, taking place in a rather soon tomorrow, shows a family living in a desert, and all the eco/sustainable ways they live there, collecting water and solar energy and what not. The next scene shows the family living in an underwater city, with the daughter going out to SCUBA, the son playing with their pet seal, and the father proudly boasting about his new submarine, etc. The final scene shows the family in space, with all of their futuristic technology and their space-age interior.

Attractions like Spaceship Earth and the current CoP age well because they mainly talk about the past, showing the development of progress by showing it in history. Only a small part actually deals with the future. That way, the Imagineers only have to update one or two scenes instead of the whole attraction. So one danger to such a Carousel idea is that it won't age well without needing frequent updates.

This sounds too much like Horizons (hmm that can't be a bad thing though) if you are going to go this far you should just rebuild Horizons.

gettingsmaller

It has been the same since 1975. when thinking about tomorrow why must I be reminded of the past?

I think the answer to this lies in lines from CoP where he mentions something people are working on (e.g., those brothers trying to make a flying contraption) and says something like "It'll never work". Besides being comical, it also reminds us that things we take for granted now were once considered impossible/impractical by people who came before us. That, in turn, encourages us to imagine and strive for those things that are considered impossible by most people in our own time.
Visionaries of today--the architects of 'tomorrow'--can draw inspiration and encouragement from their spiritual forebears.

Besides, it really is amazing that we went from horse-and-buggy to man-on-the-moon in less than 100 years. I think it's fun to review that, and to imagine where we might be in another 100 years.

That being said, the last scene needs an update. "Laser disc"? Seriously...

As for the OP, how about a dark ride that sort of takes Space Mountain's theme and slows it down--an exploration of man's future in space... Or, if you have to have characters, maybe something themed with "Meet the Robinsons"...

captainkidd

The Carousel of Progress, though, was reportedly Walt's favorite attraction, and in a sense best embodies Walt himself - his optimism, his love of America and Americana history, and his belief in a better tomorrow.

Is there anything in CoP that represents his love of tobacco and anti-semetic beliefs?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!!

Dave Disney

Maybe I'm the only one but when I think of the Magic Kingdom its not even in the top five things I think of. Even if it was one of Walt's favorite attractions didn't he say he wanted tomorrowland to grow and evolve.(don't remember the actual wording). To me COP is actually part of the anti tomorrowland.

CoP is a throwback to a better time where there was more optimism and positivity in society. It is the soul of tomorrowland even though it by some technological standards it might be out of date. It embodies Walt's vision and allows us to experience what he thought our future might look like. It's important on a lot of levels, I enjoy it everytime and I definitely visit multiple times on each trip.

If you can't see why CoP is important you might as well ask us to get rid of SSE as well.

GrumpyFan

Re-Imagined Carousel of Progress

Since we're armchairing COP, I'll throw in an idea I had not too long ago. I'll try and shorten it for here, but if you want to see the full version, check my blog.
I tried to give it a fresh look using new technologies without ruining the original creation, basically, I asked myself what it might look like if the original story was built into the attraction today. Let me know what you think.

The attraction and story line will now be presented as a time machine capable of going back in time (only) and looking at some of the major technology achievements from the past century. The family will now interact and communicate with the guests on a deeper level by utilizing the various communications devices available during that specific time period. Some humor can be added to the script using the rest of the family’s disbelief in the one family member who’s communicating with the time travelers.

Ideally, many of the existing animatronics and sets could be used with little modification or arrangement. New technologies that have been developed of late would be utilized to tell the family member(s) the current date and time which the time travelers are travelling from. Optionally, the time in the scene could correspond with the current time in the present and shown with a clock on the set. This would require lighting changes and a different voice track for the different times of day. Perhaps, during different times of day, the time travelers could interrupt the family about to have lunch or dinner, or take a nap. Just something to change up the script so it’s not the same every time.

Further enhancements to the story and scenes could be made by reflecting seasonal and date changes. Christmas, New Years, St Patrick’s Day, Easter, Independence Day, etc, would all be recognized by the characters and the scenery. This would add to the interaction, and help change it up enough to keep people coming back. Basically, what I think should happen is make it a “living” show that is fully interactive with the guests. As time travellers, we are visiting this family going about their daily activities exactly 20, 60, 80, 100+ years ago.

It would be nice if both of the songs written for the attraction, “Now is the Time”, and “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” could be used. Perhaps use one of them for the opening, and the other for the closing song.

Scene/time changes would use a new time travel noise. I’m not real sure what it would sound like traveling thru time, but I would envision something that utilized the sounds from the period you were traveling to. The first two scenes would have different radio sounds in a mix, then the TV era would have sounds from different shows of that time, and the last scene would have computer sounds such as the modem and other beeps.

No major changes would be needed for the building’s exterior, with the exception of maybe a new paint scheme.

On the inside, there would be fresh carpet, seating, and an extensive audio and lighting upgrade. Further additions could be made to make the seating more responsive to things going on, much like what happens in some of the 3D theatres, but this would be optional. The audio and lighting will help add to the show’s presence with effects and a surround sound system to make you feel like you’re really in the family’s living room. To really make the show immersive, they could add smells and temperature changes to the room, much like the 3D shows do.

Guests will enter the show as before and be seated in the theatre. A show host/operator will introduce the show as follows or something similar:

Host: Welcome everyone to Walt Disney’s Amazing Time Machine of Progress. Thanks to a generous grant from ___________ (insert sponsor name), and the magic of the Walt Disney Imagineering team, we are now able to travel back in time to witness events from the greatest century in history. Today we will be traveling back in time and visiting with a family thru various times in the 20th century. We will discover the technologies that made their lives easier, and gave birth to newer and better things for all mankind… (insert sponsor spiel)

We start off with a trip back to the early 1900s and a visit with Henry and his family. They’ve just gotten their first radio, which we will be communicating to him thru. Hold on everybody while we make the jump.

[que lighting and sound effects]

Scene 1 – Early 1900s – RadioThe lights stabilize, but are quite dim due to the poor lighting during the time. Dad is fumbling with his new radio trying to find the news, but he’s not getting anything but static, which is also heard in the theatre. His wife calls out to him asking for his help on some task. Using surround sound, her voice could be directed from behind or to one side of the audience to make it sound as if you’re actually in the room with him. He responds with saying he’ll be there in a minute, but he wants to listen to the news real quick to find out what the weather report is.

The static suddenly clears, and the host speaks something like this:
Host: Good morning (afternoon, evening) Henry. We’ll get to the weather in just a minute, but first we would like to speak to you about your life and the great technologies that are becoming available to make your life easier in 1905 (? or whatever year is).
Henry, of course, is a little surprised, and responds:
Henry: Hey, did the radio just say my name?Host: Yes, Henry, this is (insert host name), I’m speaking to you directly.
The dialog would go back and forth a couple times, and he would call to his wife and say that somebody on the radio is talking to him. Eventually, after convincing him that we were time travelers and could see him, but he couldn’t see us, (yet), the host would explain something like this:
Host: Henry, we are exploring the 20th century and how life changed thanks to the great inventions and products from (insert sponsor names). Could you tell us a little bit about how things have changed for you in the last few years and some of the new products that are making your life easier and more enjoyable?

Henry then goes into his spiel much like he always has, talking about electricity and the appliances and conveniences of his time.

The scene draws to a quick close as his wife or someone in the family can be heard walking into the room. Henry tries to get you to stick around and talk to them, but the host explains that time travel is still in its early stages and we are only able to stay for a brief period of time, and you begin the jump to the next scene/time period. As you’re leaving, you can hear the family member who was entering the room ask what he was listening to.

Scene 2 – 1920s
Since the radio was still the primary communications device, we will once again talk to Henry using his newer model. Sound quality this time should improve, as should lighting. The scene will open with Henry relaxing and listening to the news or music and then there will be the usual, all too familiar sounds of frequency changing, eventually clearing and the Host speaking something like:
Host: Hello Henry, this is (insert host name), coming to you again via Walt Disney’s Amazing Time Machine of Progress, how are you?
Henry: What’s going on with the radio? Host:Henry, this is the time travelers, speaking to you thru your radio, just like we did 15 years ago today. It was one of the hottest summers on record and you told us all about the wonderful new electric products you were just starting to get, and…

Dialog would continue, and Henry would try to get his family to come and talk to us, but they would all think he was going crazy, again. He would reminisce about it, and how his family still thinks he’s crazy, almost as crazy as Cousin Orville.

Again he will ask about being able to see you, but the host will say something to the effect of not just yet, someday soon maybe, perhaps even on our next visit. This would prompt him to ask when that will be, but the scene quickly comes to a close very similar to the first with someone coming into the room and him getting excited about hearing you, but the time jump begins and their voices trail off.

Scene 3 -1940s – Television
This time things will be a lot different. The family has a black and white TV, and you, the audience, can be seen by him. The TV would be positioned such that the audience would be able to see themselves. Again, the family doesn’t believe Dad is talking to time travelers, now he’s just been watching too much of that new television. There could be some interaction with Henry and the host where he talks about the host’s clothes, or something to that effect.

There could be some drama added here with the picture tube going out due to the vacuum tube failing, or a power outage due to someone plugging in too many devices and causing a blown fuse. Everything could go (mostly) dark, and the sound quality would deteriorate and the host could add some “emotional fear” by talking to Henry and encouraging him to hurry and find a new fuse or we will be stuck there. Of course, he would get everything restored just in time and we would be able to leave.

Scene 4 – 1980s/90s – Internet
This scene will probably change the most. The aspect of trying to present the future, would be removed. Since we’re now traveling thru history, the family room and surroundings would be reflective of the 80s or early 90s. The communication method will be the new computer with a dial up modem (add dial up sound, and maybe even “You’ve got mail”) in the family room. There could be a Nintendo game system hooked up to the big screen TV and being played by the sister or others.

After all these years, the time travelers return, and the family finally gets to see them and admit that Dad (or Grandpa now) wasn’t crazy after all. But, he does still spend a lot of time on that new computer “surfing” the Internet. Alternatively, the story could be written so the initial interaction is with his son (or Grand Son). He would yell out to the family there are time travelers in their living room on the computer and everyone can say that Junior is spending too much time “surfing” that new Internet thing, but in the end the whole family would see for themselves. For some added humor they can talk about how they can’t wait for 2009 so they can go to WDW and ride the attraction and travel back in time as well.

[que lighting and sound effects back to the future]

By changing this scene to the past, Disney no longer has to worry about keeping it looking like “the future”. Because as we’ve learned, our vision of the future will inevitably be different than what we imagined, and it will always pass us by quicker than we would think. In essence, the story line here is reversed or switched from the stage to the audience. No longer is this scene looked at as the future, (that’s already passed) but the family looks upon us, the audience, as being the future that awaits them, and it excites them. We are in the future, going back in time to see just how we got here, and by encouraging the family and maybe even the guests, that the future is bright and offers a lot to look forward to.

All in all, the attraction wouldn’t change drastically, but the story would be improved upon by adding new effects and the time travel aspect.

I love this idea and would love to see some of those amazing set pieces from Horizons make there way back from wherever they're being kept. I really think the carousel theatre is such an ingenious design and since the footprint is already there in the magic Kingdom it'd just be great to have a new show that still held true to Walt's vision.

dweezil78

At this point, the COP serves as a historic piece and I'm fine with that. The final scene though either needs to be updated to showcase the new family of the future or restored completely to its original scene from the 60s.

But I will say that the COP is most certainly deserving of its stay in Tomorrowland for it's always been about the message that the COP's story tells -- and that is "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow." Don't forget it! :)

raven

As for the OP, how about a dark ride that sort of takes Space Mountain's theme and slows it down--an exploration of man's future in space... Or, if you have to have characters, maybe something themed with "Meet the Robinsons"...

That movie came and went and doesn't have much of a pull anymore. But I like the dark ride idea.

MarkTwain

This sounds too much like Horizons (hmm that can't be a bad thing though) if you are going to go this far you should just rebuild Horizons.

Well, my thinking was that since CoP is kind of a ghost of its full potential, and Horizons is extinct, why not let the two inspire each other, creating a hybrid of both?

Another idea, to address the "60 year gap" (between 1940s and the future scene) is to retool the scenes so that they show the turn of the century (1900s), mid-century (1940s/50s) and late century (late nineties, going into new millenium), with a new future scene that's much more far out, set 50 or so years from now. By breaking up the show into larger spans of time, it could last longer and make more sense chronologically.

_Scar

What would I replace it with?

A parked Axiom to tour with a Wall-E ticket..... but back to reality! I've never actually experiences COP, but I feel it is too historic to dump for a ride (especially where there's brand new expansion room)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom