CoP on 6.25 :-(

tirian

Original Poster
I braved the Magic Kingdom crowds yesterday to get a quick fix on a few classics. Yeah, I know that I was nuts. :D

Anyway, on my spin around the CoP, I noticed quite a few problems. The scrim is still torn off the wall in the 40s room (how hard can it be for Disney to get a staple gun?), the boy's lip-synch is fairly off in the final scene, and the carousel itself is quite loud and bumpy. Meanwhile, a man sitting two seats down from me loudly pointed out every one of these problems to his wife and gave her the CoP's history throughout the entire attraction. This was annoying enough...

...then the ride broke. Halfway in between the future scene and the opening plaque, the CoP jolted to a halt. Everyone remained seated for a while, then someone realized that the exits are always accessible, and the entire attraction was soon empty. On top of this, Disney never announced what to do. We sat on the CoP at least two minutes before exiting; lights never came on, a voiceover never told us what to do, and nobody checked to see why Guests were exiting the building. About ten minutes later, I saw two managers standing near the attraction. About thirty minutes later, the CoP was rotating again.

Perhaps the saddest aspect of this entire incident is that the attraction was packed. My room and the one to my left (I could see it when the ride stopped) were near-capacity. Furthermore, a decent line of people were waiting in the queue when I left building. Obviously, people still love this classic. It's time for Disney to take care of it!

Michael72688

Disney will never do much to improve this. You have to understand upper management at these places, why dump a bunch of money into something that isnt going to draw large numbers of people through the gates? They wont do it and I bet that ride is gone within 10 years.

Woody13

That is an all too common CoP experience. We have gone through similar scenarios on many occasions. CoP needs to be retired.

General Grizz

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience!

The torn curtain in the 40s is new... it wasn't there a few weeks ago.

The Carousel of Progress needs to be closed and REFURBISHED... at least It's a Small World style. Hope these problems are fixed by your next "spin!"

I'm also excited to hear about the high crowds. Goes to show that variety is necessary in the Magic Kingdom and that Walt's vision can still be translated to guests. :wave:

snoopi_grl

barnum42 said:
It's not a merry-go-round type carousel. It's a series of theatres that rotate around a number of stages populated with animatronic characters.
And this attraction is in which theme park? MK?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Mission: SPACE said:
You have no clue how bad the management in Tomorrowland is... Anyplace else, a manager would have been there as soon as they knew it went 101...

The same problem was in existence when I worked there.... in 1999!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
with some exceptions (you know who you are), you don't become a manager at WDW because of your decision making abilities, people skills, or just plain ability to manage... ANYTHING.

You become management at WDW because you were the one who got lucky, kissed enough booty, and met the requirements in the job description.

Anyone can get a bachelors degree and have good attendance at work... but that doesn't mean they're a leader.

General Grizz

mkt said:
with some exceptions (you know who you are), you don't become a manager at WDW because of your decision making abilities, people skills, or just plain ability to manage... ANYTHING.

You become management at WDW because you were the one who got lucky, kissed enough booty, and met the requirements in the job description.

Anyone can get a bachelors degree and have good attendance at work... but that doesn't mean they're a leader.
I've heard this way too much . . .

CAPTAIN HOOK

tirian said:
...then the ride broke. Halfway in between the future scene and the opening plaque, the CoP jolted to a halt. Everyone remained seated for a while, then someone realized that the exits are always accessible, and the entire attraction was soon empty. On top of this, Disney never announced what to do. We sat on the CoP at least two minutes before exiting; lights never came on, a voiceover never told us what to do, and nobody checked to see why Guests were exiting the building.
We had that very problem over 2 years ago - we sat through the end sequence three times - no announcements and at one point the staff tried to prevent everyone from leaving :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom