Coolest themed restaurants for kids - my plan

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
yes 50's prime time looks like a good backup choice at HS.

Also Cosmic Ray's might be a good QS stop for lunch when at MK

Sbk1234

Your choices all sound fine to me. A couple of my favorites that you may want to think about:
MK - Liberty Tree Tavern
Epcot - Rose and Crown Pub/Restaurant
Chefs de France
Studio - 50s Prime Time Diner

Some of the hotels have top notch eateries, such as Animal Kingdom, and Polynesian, if you're into atmosphere.

CynBeth

I'm trying to book at least 1 sit down meal each day (early dinner mostly, or maybe late lunch). Since this is likely one of our few planned trips to WDW and my kids will be 6, 7 and almost 10 when we visit (November) I'm trying to find the coolest interior and theming. Cost and menu are less of a concern. Also of note I'm off property so will do my best using the app at 60 days out and setup some dining alerts. 2 adults, 3 kids.

My question is are these good choices and more importantly am I missing any obvious choices?

Day 1 : HS: 1st choice - Sci Fi , 2nd choice ???

Day 2: EP: 1st choice- San Angel Inn, 2nd choice - Space 220

Day 3: off day: Toothsome Emporium at Uinversal City Walk (booked)

Day 4: US IoA: Mythos (booked)

Day 5: MK: 1st/2nd choice BOG or CRT

Day 6: off day: 1st choice - T-Rex at DS, 2nd choice???

Day 7 AK: ???

Also looking to book a character breakfast at Chef Mickey's or Ohana (characters or not) on one of the off day mornings...

None of these are travel days. All other meals will be a quick breakfast at our condo, or quick service and snacks.

The ones hardest to book from my test bookings using the app at 6am are space 220, chef mickeys and sci fi. Thanks in advance for comments or advice.
Day 1 - Would do 50’s PTC instead. The food is really good and depending on the server there is interaction which can make it a fun time. Second choice Hollywood Brown Derby.
Day 2 - Space 220, Coral Reef, or Chefs de France.
Day 5 - BOG, Liberty Tree Tavern, or Tony’s.
Day 6 - The Boathouse at DS or Boma at AKL.
Day 7 - Rainforest Cafe or Boma at AKL.

Figgy1

Premium Member
For theming
MK BOG it's like stepping into the movie over CRT
EPCOT Space(haven't been but it looks amazing), CR, Beirgarten, GG the restaurant rotates characters and you can see the ride. IMHO I'd pass on SA it's too crowded to enjoy
AK Tusker House( good theming food and characters), Tiffins very cool backstory
AKL Sanaa eating on safari is fun actually all restaurants in AKL/Kidani are well themed
DHS HBD 50s or MM
DS T Rex which can be booked directly by calling if you can't online
Chef Mickey's while not exactly themed eating while watching the monorail go by is cool

tpoly88

Day 1: 50's Prime Time Cafe
Day 2: Biergarten
Day 5: Cosmic Ray's

Your choices should be good as they are, but I tossed these out as alternatives.
I picked these since my kids, at that age, enjoyed the antics.

Another favorite is Hoop Dee Doo in Ft. Wilderness.
we are past all the kid stuff but the Diamond Horseshoe used to be so fun, CRT is a cool experience, liberty tree, Hoop De Do, coral reef, 50's primetime the kids loved and Sci Fi. Ohana back in the day when the orginal guy was there doing all the kids games, luau cove the hibachi in Japan. Biergarten too ill agree. Seems like a lot of the fun is gone for kids now. Poor parents, its so stressful now.

LindsayW

I'm trying to book at least 1 sit down meal each day (early dinner mostly, or maybe late lunch). Since this is likely one of our few planned trips to WDW and my kids will be 6, 7 and almost 10 when we visit (November) I'm trying to find the coolest interior and theming. Cost and menu are less of a concern. Also of note I'm off property so will do my best using the app at 60 days out and setup some dining alerts. 2 adults, 3 kids.

My question is are these good choices and more importantly am I missing any obvious choices?

Also looking to book a character breakfast at Chef Mickey's or Ohana (characters or not) on one of the off day mornings...

None of these are travel days. All other meals will be a quick breakfast at our condo, or quick service and snacks.

The ones hardest to book from my test bookings using the app at 6am are space 220, chef mickeys and sci fi. Thanks in advance for comments or advice.
My kids are 12 now but we did trips at 5,7,9

As many have mentioned, coral reef. They both claimed it was their favorite part of our trip when they were 9. We are going in November as well and booking it.

We love mama melrose. Not super exciting theme but it’s good food.

Mine are way over characters, but we loved tuskar house at AK when they were into them.

Ohana breakfast was a HUGE hit when they were 7&9. Both loved stitch so it was a highlight for sure.

Patcheslee

As many have mentioned, coral reef. They both claimed it was their favorite part of our trip when they were 9. We are going in November as well and booking it.

Mine are way over characters, but we loved tuskar house at AK when they were into them.

Ohana breakfast was a HUGE hit when they were 7&9. Both loved stitch so it was a highlight for sure.
Mama Melrose is one of DD13s favorites, hard to argue with spaghetti. Then anywhere with scallops bleh

Club Cooloholic

I like your choices. Get a Landrys card to book TRex and maybe Rainforest at AK or Yak And Yeti with the card tou can just walk up. But but keep an eye. Sometimes they will treat you like a regular walk up but they should seat you fairly quickly, remind them you are a member . For MK with kids that age I would maybe try Crystal Palace with Pooh and friends The food is decent and Pooh is fun, I also like Liverty Tree as the food is a hit with kids, the dessert is almost worth it all.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster

I just checked and am thrilled that Ohana has character breakfast with stitch returning Sept 27. It's been super easy to get when I test book in the calender. I suspect it will be harder now. That's what the alert sites are for though....

This is great as my first choice for breakfast has been Ohana, Chef Mickey's 2nd. But the character breakfast hiatus at ohana was an issue.

Also saw the roundup rodeo BBQ in toy story land is coming along with entrance themeing finally being erected now. That may well be an option for Nov. If not Sci Fi is still my top choice at that park.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
I'm at day 61! Tomorrow is my first big day, waking up at 6 am to book our first full park day at AK. Right now I'm leaning towards Yak and Yeti for lunch if I can land it. Lately I've noticed a lot of the good restaurants are gone quicker. I have to get up each day at 6am and hope to get the scraps cause we're off property.

For that reason, I've setup free alerts at 3 websites, and I got 1 paid subscription for the month (up to 50 alerts plus email and text) to hopefully help me get the hardest choices. Crossing fingers i have some luck.

My biggest two decisions I'm struggling with at the moment are:

BoG vs CRT at MK
Space 220 vs San Angel Inn at Epcot

I may be forced to just get what I can from above anyway and I will be happy if I get first or second choice at each place.

Mireille

Premium Member
I'm at day 61! Tomorrow is my first big day, waking up at 6 am to book our first full park day at AK. Right now I'm leaning towards Yak and Yeti for lunch if I can land it. Lately I've noticed a lot of the good restaurants are gone quicker. I have to get up each day at 6am and hope to get the scraps cause we're off property.

For that reason, I've setup free alerts at 3 websites, and I got 1 paid subscription for the month (up to 50 alerts plus email and text) to hopefully help me get the hardest choices. Crossing fingers i have some luck.

BoG vs CRT at MK

I may be forced to just get what I can from above anyway and I will be happy if I get first or second choice at each place.
I've only eaten at San Angel Inn, and I was not impressed by the food but the atmosphere is incredible. I booked an ADR there for my trip next month just because of the atmosphere (and Garden Grill had no openings that day)! I have heard, however, generally the same reviews about Space 220 (food meh, atmosphere neat), but it's more expensive unless you sit in the bar.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
I've only eaten at San Angel Inn, and I was not impressed by the food but the atmosphere is incredible. I booked an ADR there for my trip next month just because of the atmosphere (and Garden Grill had no openings that day)! I have heard, however, generally the same reviews about Space 220 (food meh, atmosphere neat), but it's more expensive unless you sit in the bar.

I've heard similar on both fronts. Atmosphere is definitely the #1 driver for me in all my choices. The kids are picky, but will eat something off most kids menus. My Wife and I eat almost everything but I want the experience to be something the kids remember. Disney, rightfully so, seems to have a healthy mix of both themed and kind of bland appearance/generic looking restaurants. I'm hoping to stick heavily with the themed as my thinking is we can get the bland anywhere. Space 220 is going to cost much more than San Angel I think and San Angel seems easy to book.. We'll see how goes.

tpoly88

I've heard similar on both fronts. Atmosphere is definitely the #1 driver for me in all my choices. The kids are picky, but will eat something off most kids menus. My Wife and I eat almost everything but I want the experience to be something the kids remember. Disney, rightfully so, seems to have a healthy mix of both themed and kind of bland appearance/generic looking restaurants. I'm hoping to stick heavily with the themed as my thinking is we can get the bland anywhere. Space 220 is going to cost much more than San Angel I think and San Angel seems easy to book.. We'll see how goes.
i would go with San Angel , it is a very relaxing atmophere with lots to look at and people watch as the boats go by. food is really not bad and it comes out quick. chips and salsa to keep you busy and all the different margaritas! your choice in MK between the 2 is hard as they are 2 totally differernt resturants. But i have to tell you the atmosphere at CRT is pretty neat, i think the food is better at BoG but i guess its nostalgia from my younger days but ive always loved CRT. On both picks in epcot and mk you wont have a bad decision on either of the places you narrowed down to.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
My 3rd choice if those 2 don't work out is Coral Reef. The beauty of these newer restaurants opening up (like BoG relieved some pressure on CRT, now Space 220 and soon Toy Story BBQ place) is the older ones that were tough to get before are now more attainable. They seem to realize also the new ones need to be higher capacity (Oga's Cantina notwithstanding). In practicing months ago the free alert sites did work, I tested a few highly sought after places, but it was hit or miss. Sometimes you'd click the link almost instantly and still fail (due to others probably alerting same day and time period). But I'd say at least 1/3 of the clicks resulted in a booking. I am hoping the success transfers now that I'm in the actual booking period. If I get most of my 1st or 2nd choices I'll be content. If not it is what is and will still have a great time. There's worse things than eating in any sit down restaurant in WDW.

Last edited:

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Just looking over the thread I saw a few suggestions to check out Storybook dining at Artist Point. It's tempting to cut out T-Rex or Toothsome Emporium on one of the off nights to check this out (assuming I can even get a reservation with an alert). I suspect it would be an upgrade in food and the experience. It would no doubt cost more money though.

What is it about this experience thoughthat would be worth it? I see that the seven dwarves and snow white "make an appearance". Is there a show as well? It seems somewhat themed.

Chi84

Premium Member
Just looking over the thread I saw a few suggestions to check out Storybook dining at Artist Point. It's tempting to cut out T-Rex or Toothsome Emporium on one of the off nights to check this out (assuming I can even get a reservation with an alert). I suspect it would be an upgrade in food and the experience. It would no doubt cost more money though.

What is it about this experience thoughthat would be worth it? I see that the seven dwarves and snow white "make an appearance". Is there a show as well? It seems somewhat themed.
Two dwarves and Snow White do a dance and then come to the tables. The Evil Queen is available for photos in a separate location.

I loved Storybook Dining. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and they do a bit of a light show with the dances. The food is several notches above other character dining that we’ve done. In fact what I ate rivaled some of the signatures.

Figgy1

Premium Member

BoG vs CRT at MK

My 3rd choice if those 2 don't work out is Coral Reef. The beauty of these newer restaurants opening up (like BoG relieved some pressure on CRT, now Space 220 and soon Toy Story BBQ place) is the older ones that were tough to get before are now more attainable. They seem to realize also the new ones need to be higher capacity (Oga's Cantina notwithstanding). In practicing months ago the free alert sites did work, I tested a few highly sought after places, but it was hit or miss. Sometimes you'd click the link almost instantly and still fail (due to others probably alerting same day and time period). But I'd say at least 1/3 of the clicks resulted in a booking. I am hoping the success transfers now that I'm in the actual booking period. If I get most of my 1st or 2nd choices I'll be content. If not it is what is and will still have a great time. There's worse things than eating in any sit down restaurant in WDW.
IMHO
BOG over CRT imho castle is better BOG although both over priced
Haven't done Space but SA can be very hit or miss more miss than hit, crowded and dark have you considered the other Mexican restaurant

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom